Sign in to follow this  
rm.w/aview

Trailer w/o Slides

SIMPLIFY ... This is a recurring concept that I cannot shake. A major attraction to Airstream Travel Trailers is their lack of slides and I've been unsuccessful in finding a competitor in the trailer arena with this feature. Some parameters to be met are a GVWR of less than 10K lbs & a max length of 30', preferably mid to upper 20' range, and of course full time compatible. Trailers that I've seen at RV Shows fail to pass muster on this last point, and is the basis for me asking for suggestions.Thus far the fiberglass travel trailer options are all I've been able to consistently find, and I do like what I've seen here, but if you're aware of another option in travel trailers that is without slides and agrees with what I seek I'd appreciate the information. Thanks & Happy Trails!

Yes, I'm familiar with each of these trailers, and like the Arctic Fox line-up.

Edited by rm.w/aview

If you have a really big budget you can get an Airstream, Flying Cloud that is all of 19' long and has no slides for only $65k! As far as I know, the Airstream line is the most expensive travel trailer line built in the USA and none of them have any slides.

My budget will not allow an Airstream, but thanks. Of what I've seen, Northwood Manufacturing keeps coming into view with the Arctic Fox, & in fiberglass the Bigfoot 25 as well.

Edited by rm.w/aview

17 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

My budget will not allow an Airstream, but thanks. Of what I've seen, Northwood Manufacturing keeps coming into view with the Arctic Fox, & in fiberglass the Bigfoot 25 as well.

I've owned more than 15 RV's in my life, both motorized and tow type.  My Bigfoot trailer was the best overall quality built and designed of the bunch.  I would eagerly recommend them.

Room With A View:

Someone who thinks like Wayne and I do!  Check out the Micro Minnes.  That's if you want to spend that much.  Here is what we are doing:

We wanted a dual axle under 24 foot and preferred 22 foot.  After 4 years of trailer research we now have a 2500 HD Silverado 4x4, so a good tow.  We could not find what we wanted for the trailer so in April we bought a 2018 Interstate Loadrunner 7' x 16' (22' tip to butt) 7'8" wide DUAL AXEL Cargo Trailer (get a flat you still have 3 tires) for $8k.  We were looking at trailers in the $17-$22k range to get a short dual axle RV trailer.  That leaves us a lot of $$ for supplies.

Yes,  it's a lot of work.  Especially since I have this need to do it right (translates to almost finished priming both front and back of every wall board in there as well as the 4 edges).  I guarantee when we finish this project our trailer will last and we'll know how to fix it on the fly.

We like to camp in the national forests and along the Pacific Coast.  Although we will be long truck + tow about 40', we can disconnect and become side by side cutting that in half.  Plus we'll have the ramp door area to play with.

Edited by RoadtripsAndCampfires
added cargo fixed other spelling

And for something really different, Ice Castle Fish Houses make an RV version. I saw one for the first time on our last camping trip. It certainly stood out from the rest. : )

"My budget will not allow an Airstream, but thanks." What about this: http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ads/2006-airstream-safari-se-28-ohio/

Prices come down with age, and usually everything is working properly.

Keep in mind that there were a few Airstreams built with slides. Not many, maybe less than 100, but they do exist, and owners seem to think that they have something really rare. Yes, they do, but the reason is that few Airstreamers actually want slides. We'd love to sell our no-slide 40' MH and buy a 34' no-slide Airstream. Yes, we are definitely a minority in the RV world.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:42 AM, MrsSquid said:

And for something really different, Ice Castle Fish Houses make an RV version.

I only recently became aware of them also but we see them here in ND fairly often. The wheels will retract so that the RV sits down on the ground/ice and there is a door, or sometimes two doors to open in the floor to cut a hole in the ice and fish through. Check them out at this link. There may be other brands as well. 

8 hours ago, MrsSquid said:

I'm thinking that the insulation value in the Ice Castles must be pretty good.

Plus, there are no hookups out on the lake so I'd think they'd be good for boondocking. That said, most ice houses only move twice a year--out onto the lake as soon as the ice freezes enough then back off again before it thaws too much.

Linda Sand

18 minutes ago, sandsys said:

That said, most ice houses only move twice a year--out onto the lake as soon as the ice freezes enough then back off again before it thaws too much.

Not true of the Ice Castles as they are a combination RV & ice fishing place. We see one or two of them in this ND park every weekend. Some are local but I have also seen MN licenses and at least 2 MT licenses here. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

I have a Roughneck by Travelaire / Kustom Koach. It is a no slide 30 ft TT intended for full timing/working people. 

Like it.

We're fulltime in a 19' Escape Trailer. It is very light, some 2500lb empty. Don't know what it is loaded but quite a bit heavier. We really like the Escape Trailers, I think they are very well built for a travel trailer. They are single wall fiberglass. The only insulation is some 1/2" vinyl covered foam. They also build a 21', but we like the layout of the 19' better. Great for 3 season camping, or chasing the weather which is out choice.

Bigfoot is also a nice fiberglass trailer. They are double wall giving them much better insulation and quite a bit more weight. Also nice trailers but I've never owned one.

There's also Scamp and Casita for fiberglass. We like fiberglass. Both, I believe are single wall. There's an Oliver double wall fiberglass trailer, very expensive.

All these are trailers without slides.

Let us know what you pick. Thanks.

Hugh

This thread has made me re-evaluate what I might look for next year in a RV.  A smaller RV in the low 20ft range should be able to be towed with my current truck.  I will just need to go visit some of the local RV dealers to see what feels comfortable.  I have lived in small quarters before, but have not completely ruled out slides.  Want to give the pup some room indoors so I'm not tripping over him since he likes to be close by.