Volvo fleet speed setting

Moresmoke

Yesterday I took my truck into the dealer and got my new to me premium shifter programmed. While I was there, I had them disable the driver rewards, idle shut down, and remove the 65 mph speed limit.

From reading the manual, I was thinking I would be able to set the Fleet speed limit in the dash display for the times I go to Ontario. But, it does not work, I can change the setting, but it doesn't change anything.

Anybody have some wisdom to share on how to get this to work?

The dealer seems willing to do what I ask of them, but the service desk guys don't seem to have any knowledge of what can be changed in the computer.

1 hour ago, hone eagle said:

Why worry about ontario? I am front there and have no limits ,if you are a RV /motorhome  no limiter needed.

The speed limit is still 100, but  you know......... 

But I am registered truck. That is my concern.

Worst part is my trip through Ontario is mostly Hwy 17.  Max speed of 90!

7 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Do you have to do anything other than install the premium shifter befor taking it to the dealer?

Anything else I should have done.

Just installed the shifter I got off eBay, took it in and $300 later it works great. When the premium shifter is first installed, it will work just like your old one, the +/- and E/P buttons don't work until you get the new program. I was told the dealer needed to contact Volvo ahead of time to get the premium shift added to the truck's profile.

Cost me $625 total for the used shifter and dealer service. My old shifter was falling apart, so I needed to replace it anyway. Best I can tell, any of the shifter part numbers will work, there have been a number of supersessions. And eBay is loaded with aftermarket China shifters, I chose to go with used OEM.

As to what else should be done, that's the stumbling block I ran into. I don't know what else can be done, and the dealer didn't seem to knowledgeable about it either.

I am seriously considering buying the Volvo service software at some point in the future. It isn't cheap, but could very quickly pay for itself if I have any issues.

There is a 'list' somewhere of all the parameters considered to be useful when addressed while the ECM is 'open'.

do it all the same time was the idea.

years ago at a early ECR Gregg Shields had a paper copy, mine is long gone ,it may have survived and be online ,perhaps the guide here?

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

2 hours ago, hone eagle said:

There is a 'list' somewhere of all the parameters considered to be useful when addressed while the ECM is 'open'.

I might have a copy somewhere.  Can't say for sure but I will look.

All I found was this so far, but will keep watching for it.   

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

That list would be a great help. I only know of 1 volvo dealership in VT and when I was there they were fascinated but unfamiler with what needed to be done.

I got a used oem shifter on ebay last summer. I hope to only take the truck to the dealer once so I haven't done anything with it yet. Are side covers available both the new one and the original were missing?

We have numerous guys in our fleet with Volvo engines who go back and forth between the US and Ontario/Quebec, the 2 provinces that require speed limiters. As far as I know they have to have the top speed reprogrammed every time they go in and out, which we  charge the customer for. 

My Detroit Diesel has a "safe pass" mode, stomp the pedal twice and I can go above 65 mph all day long, although not on cruise. The authorities in Ontario and Quebec can't see that part of the program, so when they check it appears I am legal. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

9 hours ago, beyerjf said:

We have numerous guys in our fleet with Volvo engines who go back and forth between the US and Ontario/Quebec, the 2 provinces that require speed limiters. As far as I know they have to have the top speed reprogrammed every time they go in and out, which we  charge the customer for. 

My Detroit Diesel has a "safe pass" mode, stomp the pedal twice and I can go above 65 mph all day long, although not on cruise. The authorities in Ontario and Quebec can't see that part of the program, so when they check it appears I am legal. 

“It appears I am legal”

Careful Jeff, Big Brother is watching 👀!!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived