Car Hauler W/Living Quarters Question

Gramps & Noni

Hi all,

We have finally crossed the retirement barrier & are now officially on the other side . Quite honestly...busier than ever. Amazing how much stuff can be collected & stored on two acres over the span of 41 years 😲. I digress. We have determined that a car hauler w/living quarters might be in our best interest after we sell, as I have a classic car going with. Fifth wheel with overhead sleeping quarters desired (for the grandkids & storage 😉)...main floor sleeping for us. Car measures 14 ft bumper to bumper & weighs in at under 3,000 lbs. Large as possible RV living quarters desired. Would not be used for full time RV living, but outings from a month to two at a time once or twice a year. Reaching out to those who have been there for advice on where to start.

Keeping my CDL Class A license intact & will renew the DOT Physical as needed before relocation to Oregon & will maintain as long as health allows. Truck or tow vehicle would most likely be a Class 8 singled Semi along the lines of what Mr. Cob has advertised. Looking for advice on trailer options in regards to weight issues, length, braking, & build quality to satisfy our needs. Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

🍻,

Dean 

The 3,000# car may be an issue, because the ramp/door on many toy haulers are not that robust.  That said, with a little re-enforcement, you might be fine. Keeping enough weight on the hitch without over loading the axles may be difficult.

When we were looking, we were advised to look at Carriage and Newmar for used toy haulers.  We found a Newmar we liked, and so far have been happy with it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

A buddy just bought a Millennium 42" trailer.  They custom make them any way you want.  Great quality

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Sounds like you need something like a race car trailer with living quarters. I did a quick google search and came up with this.

https://mogreatdane.com/custom-trailers/auto-hauler/race-trailers-with-living-quarters/40-ft-beige-race-trailer-with-living-quarters/

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Member Star Dreamer would be the guy to talk to.  He has been hauling a show van in exactly the type of trailer you describe.  I talked to him at the recent rally and he is in the market for a new unit so he has done the research.  The other person I can think of with a similar unit is beyerjf.  Both have been very good at sharing information in the past.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I remember someone once at the East Coast Rally does this and they carry a really neat old custom van, hopefully they will be along to add their info,

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Nigel, you beat me by seconds, I could not remember his name and I forgot about the other one with the cab over.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Our Toy Hauler, Keystone Carbon 364, has a garage capacity of 3000#.  I would assume that the door is capable of handling loading that amount of weight.  The hang-up would be we only have a 12' garage...

There is another "Carbon" model with a 17' garage.     Link 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

8 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Our Toy Hauler, Keystone Carbon 364, has a garage capacity of 3000#.  I would assume that the door is capable of handling loading that amount of weight.  The hang-up would be we only have a 12' garage...

There is another "Carbon" model with a 17' garage.     Link 

Most Toyhauler’s are rated at 3,000 pounds.

And remember, if you are loading a two axle vehicle, the door limit is at the mid span of the door and only axle will be there  at a time.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On 5/4/2018 at 10:00 PM, rickeieio said:

The 3,000# car may be an issue, because the ramp/door on many toy haulers are not that robust.  That said, with a little re-enforcement, you might be fine. Keeping enough weight on the hitch without over loading the axles may be difficult.

When we were looking, we were advised to look at Carriage and Newmar for used toy haulers.  We found a Newmar we liked, and so far have been happy with it.

Hi Gramps & Noni -

Welcome to the forum

my Carriage C-Force 39SV2 has a placard stating a remaining cargo capacity of 2600lbs when full of fresh water and propane. 

Also the garage is 11’4”. 

Motorbikes is what it likes 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 5/4/2018 at 7:45 PM, Gramps & Noni said:

Hi all,

We have finally crossed the retirement barrier & are now officially on the other side . Quite honestly...busier than ever. Amazing how much stuff can be collected & stored on two acres over the span of 41 years 😲. I digress. We have determined that a car hauler w/living quarters might be in our best interest after we sell, as I have a classic car going with. Fifth wheel with overhead sleeping quarters desired (for the grandkids & storage 😉)...main floor sleeping for us. Car measures 14 ft bumper to bumper & weighs in at under 3,000 lbs. Large as possible RV living quarters desired. Would not be used for full time RV living, but outings from a month to two at a time once or twice a year. Reaching out to those who have been there for advice on where to start.

Keeping my CDL Class A license intact & will renew the DOT Physical as needed before relocation to Oregon & will maintain as long as health allows. Truck or tow vehicle would most likely be a Class 8 singled Semi along the lines of what Mr. Cob has advertised. Looking for advice on trailer options in regards to weight issues, length, braking, & build quality to satisfy our needs. Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

🍻,

Dean 

Hey Dean.

The first three pics below is a few shots of the Dollytrolley V 1.o with our Sammy loading in the "Garage"  and the third pic is Dolly-the-painthorse with operator Dollymomma with Dolly loaded in the removable equine module in the last three feet of the toy hauler......

The toy hauler sleeps up to six the condo in the truck sleeps two and with the Sammy out of the garage 6-8 folks can cot-bed in the "garage"..........sorta a BIG bunk house for a bunch of Old Nag Cowgirls...........when the Cowgirls are swarming it is safest for the stable-boy (me) to go out in the brush and sleep with the rattlesnakes..........

Ok Dean...........Listen up..........so I don't really care what you did to be sentenced to Ore-Gone but as the last picture shows ......"Ore-native RV's" are far different animals than those "other states". So you see by the FORTH picture ......Dean your Desire to cobble-up some kind of perverted-RV-toy-hauler is a real asset when you are trying to join-up with the rest of the rest of the Ore-weird-Rv-Rigs".......

Don't worry about registration of your "wierd-RV" in Ore........all it takes is $$$$$ .........

When I took the old Freightliner to the DMV to convert the registration from a truck to a motorhome the "DMV-Inspector" took a peek at the VIN number on the door jamb and then I ask him to crawl into the cab to look at the complete motorhome features including complete cooking , bathroom, and bed.......but he stepped back and said ......."sir I really don't need to see how you desire to camp!!"........shucks, what a let down......

So..........IF you do not chicken-out and really do decide to .....become a ORE-Resident, be aware we do not have a tax called sales-tax but we have every other way to 'impoverish" residents as well as anyone else that gets too close to the state.

As of Jan 1, 2018 we have a new "TAX" its called a ........."Privilege-Tax"......this is a .oo5% tax on new trailers and vehicles but no Dean we do NOT call it a sales-tax....../....every other state would call it a sales tax bot NOT Ore......

Dean, go ahead cobble-up-a-weird-RV  because you will be in the best state to do what ever you want to do.

Dont sweat a CDL ......In Oregon a 15 year old kid with a learners permit with a adult as a passenger can drive the biggest dog RV down the road..........shucks why should all the old geezers have all the RV wrecks.........let the kids in on the fun......

Dean, welcome to Oregoneee  .........now the trick is to become weird enough to fit in........

fNZ54jyl.jpg

k9wpUtPl.jpg

P0mJlAJl.jpg

OsyXDGhl.jpg

Drive on...............(Oregon........home of the ........weird)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

4 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

...so I don't really care what you did to be sentenced to Ore-Gone

LOL...was thinking the same thing until I watched a video of our 6 yr old granddaughter smack one between the shortstop & second base. Wanna be there for the homerun 👊

So..........IF you do not chicken-out and really do decide to .....become a ORE-Resident, be aware we do not have a tax called sales-tax but we have every other way to 'impoverish" residents as well as anyone else that gets too close to the state.

So... from experience would you rent or buy your base camp?

When I took the old Freightliner to the DMV to convert the registration from a truck to a motorhome the "DMV-Inspector" took a peek at the VIN number on the door jamb and then I ask him to crawl into the cab to look at the complete motorhome features including complete cooking , bathroom, and bed.......but he stepped back and said ......."sir I really don't need to see how you desire to camp!!"........shucks, what a let down......

Kinda the same response I got last October from the DMV in the small town we're looking to retire in. Pretty much told me they didn't care about my CDL. That would be between me & the Federal DOT. Said I could drive anything if it was registered as an RV. However...I'll keep my CDL active for insurance.

Dean, go ahead cobble-up-a-weird-RV  because you will be in the best state to do what ever you want to do.

Thank's for that. What I wanted to hear 👊

Dean, welcome to Oregoneee  .........now the trick is to become weird enough to fit in........

On April 1st in the year of 1970 American Motors Corporation introduced an odd & ugly small car designed to compete with the Chevy Vega & the Ford Pinto. Named the "Gremlin" it was a "weird" car & never got any respect nor most probably ever will. Noni & myself retired on April 1st...some Forty Six years later...& yes...a Gremlin is our Classic Car of choice...A bit of unplanned irony but it "is what it is"". Resto-modded by myself & a friend I hope it will fit in to it's new home in SW Oregon...Here's a pic...

1214094887_GremlinPic.thumb.jpg.17b2f2d2e6a7d37087969c7b3182b718.jpg 

5 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

The first three pics below is a few shots of the Dollytrolley V 1.o with our Sammy loading in the "Garage"  and the third pic is Dolly-the-painthorse with operator Dollymomma with Dolly loaded in the removable equine module in the last three feet of the toy hauler......

The toy hauler sleeps up to six the condo in the truck sleeps two and with the Sammy out of the garage 6-8 folks can cot-bed in the "garage"..........sorta a BIG bunk house for a bunch of Old Nag Cowgirls...........when the Cowgirls are swarming it is safest for the stable-boy (me) to go out in the brush and sleep with the rattlesnakes..........

Without a doubt one of the most interesting units I've ever seen. Creativity abounds. Guessing with that setup it's not often you get chased down as a commercial unit after blowing by the scales?

Cheers,

Dean 

24 minutes ago, Gramps & Noni said:

Dean,

Driving a Gremlin around OreGun you might just be elected Govenor.........

But then again OR is AMC geek paradise........kid across the ally has a AMX ......guy 6 houses East has a Mad-a-doore and next street North has a guy with a Pea-Green P A  C   E   R......

Dean your going to be just fine in OR

Drive on...........(Oregon is ..............AMC Paradise)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 5/4/2018 at 10:45 PM, Gramps & Noni said:

Hi all,

🍻,

Dean 

Dean,

As others have mentioned, we haul a full size van in our living quarters trailer. We just got rid of our 44' and bought a 48' as a temporary trailer till we can get one built. In our case it is hard to find a trailer that has nice living quarters with a slide out that will handle a 5700# vehicle the size of our van. You should have an easier search for one that fits your vehicle.

ATC and Sundowner make some nice nice aluminum trailers. 

Vintage and Millennium basically build similar trailers with steel frames, but their interiors are not very nice. Cargomate/Continental Cargo are not building anymore slideout trailers.

Spacecraft builds a nice trailer but very costly and in our case they could only handle our weight in a Semi Chassis.

Transport Custom Design is a custom trailer builder that looks like they build a nice trailer. 

I did not have much luck getting any pricing from Featherlite and a few others. 

There are a couple of RV toy hauler that can handle your size vehicle, I will see if I can find my list of those. I could not find any that would work for us.

Alot will depend on what your budget is and what your tow vehicle can handle.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

And I am the other guy with the cargo trailer with living space. It is a Work and Play 34FK, 34' with a 13'6" garage. GVW for the trailer is 16,500, cargo capacity is 5800 lbs, easily handles my 2017 Chevrolet Spark. 

That all being said, Forest River, has discontinued all Work and Play 5th wheel toy haulers, indeed I don't see them staying in business much longer. They are just about the only trailer made of FRP -fiberglass reinforced plywood and literally do nothing but rot from the moment they leave the plant. 

Star Dreamer and I have compared notes, he is more up to speed with what is available. I am lusting after a Sundowner, but ATC and a couple of others would be in the running. Most of the interiors can be pretty austere, and slides are not universally available. 

I like the fact that more than half the floor space is wide open and I can configure it to many different activities, in addition to hauling a car. A cargo trailer or race car trailer is far more stout than most RV's that have been modified with a garage. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Here are some pictures of the new trailer we just picked up.

onQvtGXl.jpg

B8EUz9Sl.jpg

OGjsRGGl.jpg

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

56 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

That is a very nice set up.

Thanks. We only wished this one had a Slideout, about 3' longer in the living area and a pass thru door from the living quarters to the garage. Our old trailer had the pass thru door and we used it a lot.

46 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

Thanks. We only wished this one had a Slideout, about 3' longer in the living area and a pass thru door from the living quarters to the garage. Our old trailer had the pass thru door and we used it a lot.

Thanks Star & everybody's input! Exactly the info I'm looking for. Agree on all three above. I bumped into a race team a few weeks ago loading their drifter racecar into a tongue pull Millennium 32' flat nose w/living quarters & they let me take a peek. I was Immediately drawn to the pass thru door for it's endless possibilities in the cargo area. It's what gave me the idea that a race trailer with living quarters might just be the best ticket for our needs. 

Beautiful new trailer!...what did you do with the old one? Also...with the pass thru did you ever notice smells like gasoline or odd vapors associated with a garage... while camped out in the living quarters?

Thanks again,

Dean 

35 minutes ago, Gramps & Noni said:

Thanks Star & everybody's input! Exactly the info I'm looking for. Agree on all three above. I bumped into a race team a few weeks ago loading their drifter racecar into a tongue pull Millennium 32' flat nose w/living quarters & they let me take a peek. I was Immediately drawn to the pass thru door for it's endless possibilities in the cargo area. It's what gave me the idea that a race trailer with living quarters might just be the best ticket for our needs. 

Beautiful new trailer!...what did you do with the old one? Also...with the pass thru did you ever notice smells like gasoline or odd vapors associated with a garage... while camped out in the living quarters?

Thanks again,

Dean 

Thanks. We traded the old trailer in. It was a 2005 and we had over 100,000 miles on it doing car shows all over the country. It only had triple 5200# axles and we were limited in what size tire we could run so we went thru alot of tires.

It might show up on Trailers of the East Coast website in the near future.

The only time we noticed any fumes was when we had a gas leak on our generator which was in a compartment in the garage right by the door.

Dave

I have a 32ft. Millillium pull trailer. Wife and big dog love it. 20ft for my car and 12ft living. Large table for adults but comfortable couch made into bed. If you got the $$$$ any car hauling trailer can be made. I am just not a 5th wheel fan. Also pull trailer with a Ford f350 dually and like its not there.o2zOlkYl.jpg

Archived