Super Class C GVWR

Daveh56

I am looking into buying a Used Show Hauler or United Specialies RV. I see that most are rated at 33,000 lbs GVWR in the interest at keeping it under the 26,000 lb GVWR I would like to derate it to make it legal to drive in every State without  risking getting finedand worse getting the RV impounded for not having the proper drivers license. I know I can get an R endorsement from NY State but if I drive out of State I could get into trouble as some require at least a Class B CDL. So how would I gp about doing so and would I still be under 26,000lbs with the RV fully loaded? I assume the suspension/springs would have to be changed at a authorized shop. Anybody have a ballpark figure of what the actual weight of a Super Class C is?

Thanks,

Dave  

Dave - Driver licenses have reciprocity in the USA and Canada - i.e. if you are correctly licensed to drive your vehicle at home you are ok elsewhere license wise.

Local weights and dimensions apply where you are at not where you are from.

Changing rated GVW - step 1 would be to actually weigh the vehicle and then calculate additional fuel, water, and any stuff that is not on board plus any trailer tongue weight there may be now or in future to arrive at a total weight.  If this will remain less than 26,000lbs call the manufacturer and ask them to derate the vehicle and issue you new door stickers and completed vehicle documents.  

No component changes should be necessary at all to reduce the GVWR.  You are not planning to do anything to change the vehicle's weight distribution, center of gravity, and braking performance.  

IF the GVWR is capable of exceeding the 26,000lbs target the way the vehicle is now - you may be able to work with the mnaufacturer to get under 26,000lb by reducing fuel capacity, water capacity etc.  This would be way more work and expense. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thanks! I still might go the CDL Class B route, though passing the DOT physical might be an issue as my right eye corrects only to about 20/40 and I have exercised related asthma which is well controlled.  If I get the Class B CDL it will transfer when I move my domicile to SD. I can get the CDL B license here in NY through BOCES for about $1000.

Just trying to get a handle on my options.

I don't believe YOU can "derate" a GVWR (only the manufacturer or rebuilder can change weight ratings and, they have rules that must be followed). If you have time, you might look into school bus companies. Sign up to drive and they'll train you and pay you to get a CDL. SD is a VERY friendly state re licensing (you WILL have to establish a residence in SD but, that's very easy). As noteven stated, if you're legal in your home state, you're legal in ALL states/provinces. That said, not all LEOs know that so, be prepared to show that you ARE legal in whatever you are licensed in. IF you plan on towing anything, that might complicate matters (I don't remember if you're OK towing < 10,000# or, need a Class-A drivers' license if you tow anything). 

34 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

IF you plan on towing anything, that might complicate matters (I don't remember if you're OK towing < 10,000# or, need a Class-A drivers' license if you tow anything). 

Class A only comes into consideration when towing over 10000 lb.

If your super C is registered as an RV and you don't do anything business related, you have no need for a CDL.

As far as the physical is concerned, right now high blood pressure or diabetes are the major flags. If you don't have either of those, any somewhat healthy person can pass the physical.

Oh I forgot- If your new vehicle has air brakes and you are not familiar with them or endorsed on your license now I always recommend you take training whether your jurisdiction requires it or not. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I just retired from NY to SD.  You don't need or want a CDL.  Just get the "R" endorsement, then a regular license in SD.  (took 10 minutes along with the voter registration).  Having a medical or having the regulations and renewals of a CDL is a pain.  I have it for my pilot's license and it's just another ridiculous hoop to jump through.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

1 hour ago, NoDirectionHome said:

I just retired from NY to SD.  You don't need or want a CDL.  Just get the "R" endorsement, then a regular license in SD.  (took 10 minutes along with the voter registration).  Having a medical or having the regulations and renewals of a CDL is a pain.  I have it for my pilot's license and it's just another ridiculous hoop to jump through.

Curious as to what the "R" endorsement is?

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

In PA we have a Non Commercial Drivers license, that are classed just like the CDL, but do not require physicals, etc. I already had a CDL B, so when we purchased a trailer over 10K, I upgraded to a CDL A.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

In NY if your RV is over 26000 #, you need an "R" endorsement to drive legally.  99% of LEO's don't even know what it is.  Even the DMV usually doesn't.  No airbrake or other tests.  Just competency to drive a larger RV.  (road test)

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I have a Showhauler (see picture).  The listed GVWR is over 38k, actual weight is just over 36k.  NY requires the R endorsement for anything over 26k.  I got the endorsement, some jumping through hoops (many DMVs are unfamiliar with it).  The main part was taking a road test to prove you can handle the vehicle.  No paper test, no air brake rider, no physicals, no special requirements on renewals, just the road test.  Once you have that you are legal in any state because you are legal in NY.  I have an enhanced DL (to cross into Canada).  In the middle of the front three lines up from the bottom I have a line beginning with "E".  This will be a list of endorsements (you can have several).  Following the "E" (once I passed the test) I now have a "R".  When you turn the license to the back it has a line for each endorsement to explain them.  Mine has "R-RV Over 26,000 LBS".  I would recommend the R approach as there are no log requirements, no driving limits, etc.  It's kind of like passing a test to drive a motorcycle, once it is on your license you are good forever, and it gets automatically renewed with your license.

Archived