Pure Sine Wave ----- Size

Vegas Teacher

PSW is 1KW, also run a MSW 1.5KW. The smaller runs the fridge, plus cell phones via the USB ports. The bigger one feeds back to the converter in the trailer. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have a Magnum 2012 PSW inverter in my HDT.  I'm just a fan of Magnum's stuff.  It is probably overkill for the HDT, but it is the way I went.  It powers the fridge, microwave, TV and a few outlets in the sleeper.  I also have a separate battery bank dedicated to the Magnum.  It was originally just hooked up to my three starting batteries, but it drew too much power on those batteries to be of any use for the loads I wanted to run.  I also have a battery separator in line that allows me to temporarily combine the two battery banks at the push of a button.  It is handy if the starting batteries get run down for any reason.  Here is a link to a basic wiring diagram of what I have in my HDT.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I am running two 1800 watt inverters on our truck. One for shore power on the truck and the other for shore power for the Carrier heat and air. Both of them provide shore power for the truck and keep the batteries charged.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I just have a little 1500 watt. I would have gone bigger but I found this one in the shop not getting used anymore. I am only running a fridge and microwave and a couple outlets for phone/tablet chargers. I will have outlets in the cab connected to the generator. So if I need more juice I can fire that up.

J9TBkwGl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Pure sine wave is nice and the price of import units producing over 1,000 watts is dropping.  But, you should be fine with a modified sine wave for most all appliances except an analog clock, fan or other purely synchronous motors.  What you are seeing at a truck stop is most likely modified sine wave equipment.  Size depends on what you want to power.  In the truck, a small dorm size fridge should start and run nicely with a MSW unit at 1500 watts with power to spare.  Some get by with 1,000 watts.  For cell phone chargers best to go with dedicated USB that converts 12-volt circuits to 5V rather than plug-in 110VAC chargers.  For your computer safest way to go is a low wattage small pure sine wave inverter that plugs into your cig lighter socket.  This Bestek is a suggestion (what I use) to power my computer PS.   It can also power many small TV sets.  A small MSW unit should be OK here too as the computer PS is a filtered switching unit.  When I run the truck aux air conditioner or microwave I use the 3,000 watt inverter generator installed below the passenger compartment with remote start and a transfer switch.  Bigger Battery inverters waste battery power, need larger supply cables and take up valuable needed space.  No advantage in over-kill.

In the camper I only have a 1,000 watt MSW unit for the entertainment system connected to a single stand-alone battery not connected to the camper 12V system.  I charge it separately.   No need to connect it to any appliance outlets - that is what the Onan generator is for.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived