Teton - Fiberglass Sheathing Problem at Pin Box

Memtb

Would really appreciate any help from “anyone”! We have a 2004 Teton Freedom Grand, with the original Fabex pin box. The fiberglass panel around the pin box, has come loose and is hanging down. I do not think that there is any frame damage at/around the pin box....but things, just don’t look quite right. Could someone take a few pictures of their pin box/ bottom panel area around the pin box....particularly at the front, where the pin box enters the fiberglass beneath the bedroom area. Maybe, this will give me a better idea of exactly what I am looking at!

Any and all help appreciated, and a “Big Thanks” in advance!      memtb

Todd & Marianne

Sundai, Nellie and Maggie May - miniature schnauzers

2004 Teton 39' Grand Freedom / 2007 Bigfoot MH26Sl

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW, 4x4,  6.7 manual trans

I am willing to at least look at what you have.  Not experienced on your exact coach but have encountered lots of things in my 40+ year mechanical career, and not done yet.  Cars, RVs, trailers, fabrication, mechanical machinery, electrical, common sense too, although that seems to have become a skill of its own.

How is the fiberglass attached now?  Are there any fasteners that may have come loose, fallen out or are in a bind?  Take some pics and forward to my email: rpsincimt@gmail.com.

Marcel

The sheathing was held up to the metal framing surrounding the pin-box, by some SS self- tapping screws. The screws where hidden beneath the rubber trim molding around the pin-box/sheathing  junction. Most of the  screws (about #10 or #12) where broken! I can’t detect any fiberglass damage on the sides of the bedroom area, or any joint separation ( nose piece to bedroom area). I’m thinking (HOPING) that, it was merely these screws breaking and allowing the fiberglass panel to drop an inch or so around the pin-box!

In looking where front of  the pin-box enters the sheathing.....it just doesn’t look right.  It appears ( maybe an optical illusion) that the pin-box is tipped upwards into the sheathing.  But, when observing from the side, the pin-box (pin plate area) appears to be parallel to ground or unit.

From front

Looking upward at back of pin-box

Side-view

Front view

There were 10 or so SS self-tapping screws, inserted thru decorative trim, attaching the sheathing up, onto the metal framework around the pin-box.

Todd & Marianne

Sorry.....can’t get the pictures. Have been trying!

Todd & Marianne

Thanks Glenn!  It appears that all is well with frame/ pin-box ,etc. We just (easier said than done) need to get sheathing back to original position, replace and add screws. Also, found some pop-rivets missing from sheathing to frame members beneath bedroom. Will replace and add additional rivets....to reduce the flex in the bottom sheathing. It’s a lot of surface area, with little support

Thanks again, Todd (memtb)

Todd & Marianne

I dont recommend using the rivets, as they are loose to begin with and will loosen over time.  Try using new SS teks with some washers, as large as you can get in the trim area, and run them in to the appropriate tightness.  Forget about replacing the broken ones if possible.  Sometimes that is not worth the effort, but sometimes you have no choice but to use the same hole as before.  You may also think about using a good quality zinc tek screw, I use ITW/Buildex brand.  And they make a TEK5 which is specially designed for going into steel, some can be bought with a rubber washer and a small steel washer on top of that, all zinc plated.  They are US made, I have tried the imports and they dont work nearly as well.  Its worth spending a little more for those.  The TEK5s have a drill end so make sure you spend some time measuring the drill part as well as the threaded part to get the length you need.  I use #12 X 2-1/4" TEK5s to attach 3/4" plywood onto 3/16" steel and they work about right.  It would seem to be too long, but any shorter, and the threads wont hold.  A fastener distributor should be able to sell you how ever many you want without buying a box of 5000.  Buy a couple dozen extra, they come in handy for many things.

Marcel

Thanks rpsinc,  We were considering added another decorative, rubber trim molding, with SS self tapping screws, under the rubber. Cosmetically would look OK, while adding sufficient securing of the panel.

But....all that for thinking for nothing. Some testing today.....hooking -up to truck showed that we have a broken frame, somewhere around the pin-box. So much for wishful thinking.  This is going to get real ugly! It’s been an interesting vacation....this “topped it off”! 

Thanks for your suggestions and generous input. This project has just gone well above my “pay grade”!

Todd & Marianne

On our rig, we had a severe break in the frame, and after having a mobile RV repair guy, who is also a welder, come out to the park we were at, he had to lower the Filon panel to access the front of the frame to weld there also.  He suggested that while the Filon was down, he should also check the area of the frame where the pin box is attached.  He discovered a number of cracks, so made repairs there also.  It was not that difficult to lower the Filon, but we did not remove it all the way, as that would have required pulling the front compartment door/frame assemblies.  In the photo, the Filon is just to his right at an angle, and we used our barbeque to support it so it wouldn't break. 

frame crack 2.jpg

Sounds like a project in the future, BUT, when done, it should be better than new.  It will be a good thing to add some gussets or plate areas that may have broken, as cheap insurance, since the welding is being done anyways.

If you were closer I'd offer my services.  Im a fabricator/welder and have a shop on my property.  Always doing something like this.  I've done repairs to HDTs too.

Marcel

Be interesting to see what you find. This is first I have read about a failure there with a Teton. Someone must have missed some welding years ago. If it is just the pin box loose it can be welded fairly easy. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

57Becky: It’s at an RV Hospital 😠 right now...awaiting “Exploratory Surgery”, to determine, where and the extent of damage!

rpsinc: Thanks for the generous offer! If we were at home, I might have tackled this myself. Probably would have had to....the closest reputable RV repair facility is over 150 miles.   It probably would “not” have made the trip....the amount of movement is truly amazing, and scary!

Glenn:  This is our 4th Teton (since 1993), and we are shocked....never heard of this happening with a Teton!  The original owner towed with a HDT for over 8 years. We don’t know what type of hitch (though I suspect it was quality) he had on his rig.

We will follow-up on here with what we encounter, and repairs required!

Thanks to all for your concerns and attempted help!  memtb (Todd & Marianne)

Todd & Marianne

Just an update: After some “disassembly” at the rv hospital, it’s ugly. The horizontal I beam ( 8”) , near the point that it joins the vertical I beam that goes down to the main chassis I beam....is split vertically. Not at a weld....the beam is split from lower flange, up thru the web, to the upper flange. The upper flange is still intact, but has doing a lot of flexing (bending). It will require “fishplating” the web area on both sides of the break. And, hopefully they can access the bottom flange for a weld and a “fishplate” added across the break!

They will also do the same to the other side....as while it is still intact, it has been worked pretty hard. It was the only thing stopping a complete separation.

Didn’t think that you could break a Teton frame....I guess that I could break an anvil!

Todd & Marianne

Glenn, Not sure! I think it was a class 6 Pete. He spent lots of money on upgrades for extended boondocking, MotoSat System, Bigfoot leveling, Hydraulic Disc, etc.....pretty much first class ....all the way! I want to believe that he didn’t short-cut, on a quality hitch. But....stranger things have happened!

I’ll try and post a few pictures with a description.....as best I can!    memtb (Todd)

Todd & Marianne

Sounds like this had nothing to do with the hitch.  Sounds like that piece of steel fatigued and failed.  And you discovered it before it became an accident and something more serious happened.  It happens.  Glad you are safe and have the knowledge and resources to repair it properly.  

Enjoy your journey, it could be worse.

Marcel

• 4 weeks later...

Final Update (I hope)! We brought her home a couple of days ago. APR-RV did a really nice job on the repairs. Of course now I need (desperately) to buff ( remove oxidation) and polish the whole unit to make it look as nice as the repair area!

Following-up on some of the suggestions, we purchased a Trailer Saver (used) hitch. The trip home was a much improved ride. Hopefully, our Teton will carry us to the end of our RV’ing days!

Counting the round-trip mileage to “retrieve” our Teton....we’ve burned 9000 miles of diesel since Easter. We will likely, slow down a bit for the rest of the summer! Lot’s of work to catch-up on around the house!

Thanks to all for the concerns and recommendations !

Todd & Marianne

Archived