Windows 10’s April 2018 Update Barely Squeezes Into April On Monday

RV_

Here is the latest on the Spring 2018 update for Windows 10.

"The April 2018 update of Windows 10 will just barely come out in April, Microsoft announced today. You’ll be able to download it Monday.

RELATED: Everything New in Windows 10’s April 2018 Update, Available April 30

We’ve got a complete list of everything new in the April 2018 update, and you should check that out if you’re curious. Highlights include the new Timeline feature, which shows activities on all of your Windows devices; nearby sharing, which is a sort of Airdrop for Windows; and quick pairing for Bluetooth devices.

This particular update was supposed to come out earlier this month but was delayed because of a bug. The release date was announced in a blog post today by Microsoft VP Yusuf Mehdi, which includes videos outlining the new features."

The rest of the article with hotlinks and videos is here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/windows-10s-april-2018-update-barely-squeezes-into-april-on-monday/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well it came in around 9PM CST last night. I downloaded it to my HP laptop with no problems and seems to be running fine.  It took maybe 12 min or so to download on a 45 MBPS system, 30 min or to install and I do not how long to config as once it started to config I went to be.  It was up and running fine this morning when I got up.  Have not played with it yet to figure out all the new stuff.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Turned my laptop into a piece of junk. Split screens? Desktop (once full of icons) EMPTY!!  I guess this is progress. I use this for my architectural practice. Now I have to spend time restoring to when Windows 10 was semi-useful.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

LarryN

I did not have a single problem on either of my Laptops.  1 a 64-bit with Win 10 Pro and 1 a 32-bit Win 10 Home.  I made systems images and new restore points on both of the laptops on Sunday so I knew I could get back to old setting fairly quickly.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

My results:

I updated six windows platforms here all my and my wife's personal systems with no issues.

1. Dell XPS 2720, Windows 10 Professional, 64 bit,  i7 Haswell, 8GB, 32GB SSD/2TB hard drive, 27" all in one touch screen.

2. Lenovo 21" Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, touchscreen all in one, i5 Haswell, 8GB, 500GB SSD.

3. Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 Professional, 64 bit, i5 Haswell, 4GB, 128GB SSD.

4. Surface Pro 4, Windows 10 Professional, 64 bit, i7 Skylake, 8GB , 256GB SSD.

Dell Venue 11 Pro 10.8" tablet, Windows 10 Professional, 32 bit operating system x64 based processor, Intel Atom Z3770, 2GB, 63GB SSD.

Voyo Mini PC, Dual Boot - Android 5.0/Windows 10 Home, 32 bit, Intel Atom Z3735F Bay Trail-T, 2GB, 64GB SSD desktop. This one: Voyo Mini PC

The Voyo failed once then updated successfully. It took about an hour and a half for all.

The others all loaded and installed in about 30 minutes. The dell venue 11 pro beat my main system time wise.

The fastest was the Surface Pro 4.

I did a CCleaner registry clean of each first, saving the registry in case, and a full clean with CCleaner and the "OLd Prefetch Data under advanced checked too, and then unchecked as it makes the next boot and the first time loading big programs take a bit longer until it is rebuilt over a few boots. Thus I only do registry cleans and prefetch checked once a month or less often and after any major install or uninstall or major update.

Microsoft has assisted me out of warranty for free with update issues before. All my systems are kept up to date on all MS updates.

My Dell 2720 main system was running Windows 8 Pro initially upgraded to 8.1 and then 10 free as available. I bought four Windows 8 Pro licenses for $14 bucks each in Oct. 2012.

My Dell Venue 11 Pro came with Windows 8 initially and then upgraded to 8.1 and then 10 free.

The Voyo mini PC came with Windows 8.1, and despite a vendor warning that it was not guaranteed if I changed the Windows version or did updates, but it upgraded to 10 and it took them all fine. It is amazing and runs via HDMI cable on the guest bedroom TV set. I amazingly has a built in rechargeable battery and can run without being plugged in for about 8 hours. I paid 93 bucks for it long ago and am Amazed at how it runs like a full size system and is very quick. I would not buy it without Windows 10 as 10 is no longer a free upgrade. But for folks who want a tiny (smaller than two decks of cards side by side) home workhorse for just emails and browsing with a good monitor and speakers, they make good stuff. It also has built in WiFi that has never failed.

For my 100% Intel machines, home and Pro, 32 bit and 64 bit, Atom, i5, i7 alike, all updated uneventfully.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived