Anyone planning a trip to Alaska next year

Hewhoknowslittle

Roger,

Wilma and I are talking about going. Our general plan would be spend couple weeks in the Icefield Parkways on the way up in May and arrive AK about first of June.  Once in AK, likely spend most of our time in the Kenai and probably stay in a Seward for a few weeks surrounding their Fourth in July festivities.  Would like to finish somewhere northern to catch the Aurora’s before heading south.

Have you guys got plans?

Jim

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Anyone visiting from south of the Medicine Line we see lots of aroar...areara bordel...arora... northern lights here in Eastern Alberda Flyover Country at 53deg N  on clear nights. 

Get away from cities and towns and other sources of infernal light pollution - park in the dark. Look north. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

12 minutes ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Roger,

Wilma and I are talking about going. Our general plan would be spend couple weeks in the Icefield Parkways on the way up in May and arrive AK about first of June.  Once in AK, likely spend most of our time in the Kenai and probably stay in a Seward for a few weeks surrounding their Fourth in July festivities.  Would like to finish somewhere northern to catch the Aurora’s before heading south.

Have you guys got plans?

Jim

We are just talking about it at this point, and would like to travel with someone that has a good plan because we don't.😅

How many weeks are you planning on being gone?

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

1 hour ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

How many weeks are you planning on being gone?

We'd probably cross into Canada second week in May near Glacier and return early September.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

You really don't want to think of this trip in terms of 'weeks'... months is more like it.  It's a biggie and so much to see.  It's definitely not a difficult one to do. There are only two highways... the Alcan and the Cassier.  Take the Alcan up and return via the Cassier.  You can't get lost!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Throwing out the usual invitation to any and all travelers heading North. We're planted for the summer, running a campground in Grande Prairie, AB.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

14 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Thinking about an Alaskan trip next summer, anyone else thing about going?

Roger

We are, as of right now, planning on Alaska next summer. We haven’t made any plans yet other than pretty much allowing most of the summer for the trip. We have done one Alaska cruise but other than that have never been there so really looking forward to seeing the interior. We are set up to do a lot of boondocking but don’t necessarily have to.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

If anyone headed up needs help with places to go or what not let me know. Also If anyone wants a free place to crash for a bit I have a big yard, 50 amp power, water and the ability to dump on site. I am located at the base of Hatcher Pass in Palmer, Ak.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

11 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

If anyone headed up needs help with places to go or what not let me know. Also If anyone wants a free place to crash for a bit I have a big yard, 50 amp power, water and the ability to dump on site. I am located at the base of Hatcher Pass in Palmer, Ak.

Tough offer to beat!

Last summer we spent a few days in Palmer during the Colony Days festival in early June. We had a great time and especially like the small town rural atmosphere of Palmer. We’ll likely plan next trip to be there again for the festival. 

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Tommy3guns said:

I am planning a two week trip.  Over a holiday weekend so I have longer off of work.  But that's all I can do. Basically I'm going to do nothing and don't plan on doing anything but drive around in circles 

I guess you are going to fly to Alaska and rent a car or RV? 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 4/28/2018 at 7:37 PM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Thinking about an Alaskan trip next summer, anyone else thing about going?

Roger

My wife and I are going to be leaving for Alaska right after the 2019 HDT ECR at the end of April beginning of May. Plan on taking our time to get up there and spend a few months exploring.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Cathy and I are talking about going. Our general plan would be spend couple weeks in the Icefield Parkways on the way up in May and arrive AK about first of June.  Once in AK, likely spend most of our time in the Kenai and probably stay in a Seward for a few weeks surrounding their Fourth in July festivities.  Would like to finish somewhere northern to catch the Aurora’s before heading south.

It sounds like a too good a plan not to copy it, Jim and Wilma! 

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

7 hours ago, Tommy3guns said:

I am going to drive my HDT  up on a Friday morning hope to be in Alaska 48 hours later.  Two drivers 12 hours on 12 off Wishful thinking right?  

No trailer, right?  Just the HDT.  Is it doable?  Well yes it could be done.  Not sure where you are starting from, but from the Canadian border at Sumas, WA to Tok, AK is about 1830 miles of mostly good 2 lane hwy.  Speed limit on most of it is 90KMH (55mph) with some 100KMH (62mph).  Quite a few hills some with short sections of 10% grade, more short sections with 6-8% grades.    When you get beyond Whitehorse, YT you will start hitting frost heaves and several sections of 2-15 miles of construction.  It would be best to do this section in daylight so you have a better chance of seeing the frost heaves.  Hit some of the really bad frost heaves at 55mph and you may not be going anywhere any time soon, think of days for repairs.

Driving at night exposes you to hitting bison and moose as well as smaller animals.  Hit the large animals and you may not be going anywhere for a while, even in a HDT.  Heck you can hit an animal in the daytime as well.

But, yes you could do it in about 48 hours.   BTW, I use Tok, AK as the end point because that is where you decide to head toward Fairbanks, or Anchorage.  

I don't recall from our 2016 trip about fuel stops being open in the middle of the night. Not something we cared about.  Can you go 500-600 miles in your HDT w/o a fuel stop?

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

• 1 month later...

Searching for suggestions where to boondock  with truck and 30 ft trailer along the route from Bellingham,wa to anchorage, then whittier,seward, homer, denali,fairbanks and back down into montana or north east washington. thanks in advance for your help!

We are planning a trip to Alaska 2019. Planning an inside passage cruise 1st week of may to Ketchican, then up from Bellingham,wa into canada  ,alaska,spend May-Sept there...Only timetable we are looking at would be for the Alaska Marine Highway schedule. would love advice for mostly boon docking(we enjoy that more with our Dog,she loves some freedom)We would love to hear any advice the community has to offer. 

On 7/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, mar255mar said:

We are planning a trip to Alaska 2019. Planning an inside passage cruise 1st week of may to Ketchican, then up from Bellingham,wa into canada  ,alaska,spend May-Sept there...Only timetable we are looking at would be for the Alaska Marine Highway schedule. would love advice for mostly boon docking(we enjoy that more with our Dog,she loves some freedom)We would love to hear any advice the community has to offer. 

To be sure we understand your trip.  You are not taking the RV on the inside passage, just taking a cruise, correct?  Leaving your RV in the Bellingham area and then take your RV to AK.  I don't know an inside passage cruise only to Ketchican and back.  Most cruises go all the way to AK and then you fly back to WA.  Or are you just wanting to take the Ferry to Ketchican.  

BTW, it is helpful if you add a signature line with the type of RV you have.  Giving suggestions on boondocking is easier if we know what RV you have. 

About where to leave your RV:  This blog of a couple http://markteri.blogspot.com/2017/05/ who took the inside passage cruise mentioned in one of their entries where they left the RV.  I don't remember which of the 13 or 14 entries they mentioned it though.

About boondocking.  I think you are a member of Escapees, so for the nominal sum of about $15 you can subscribe to the Days End listing of free to very low cost places to stay.  Days End has a very extensive listing of places to boondock all throughout BC, YT & AK.  Usually very good directions and details for the places to stay.  There are other places on the internet with info about boondocking.  Do a search for "free camping".  Also many people love "AllStays".  Lots of info in Campendium

Also search this forum for "Alaska".  There is a lot of info on AK travels in older topics, including links to several blogs of AK trips.

Take a look at our blog:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html  for details of our 2016 trip from OR to AK & back.  Our trip was 149 days. All of the trip, except for 2 nights in Skagway at an RV Park, was dry camping or boondocking.  Most of the spots we stayed at are listed in Days End.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, mar255mar said:

would love advice for mostly boon docking(we enjoy that more with our Dog,she loves some freedom)We would love to hear any advice the community has to offer. 

Purchase online Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada, Yukon and some areas of the lower 48 before crossing into Canada.  They lived in Alaska and traveled the roads constantly.  They not only list RV parks but also public parks and great boondocking spots.  Also get the Milepost for history and maps as you travel.  In addition, you might want to purchase the TourSaver 2/1 Coupon book.  One glacier say cruise will pay for the book.  They're all available online.  Have fun planning and it's good to take the whole summer.  It's a long, expensive trip so do all you can!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I would not go without Mike and Terri Church's book. Forget the Milepost, to much data & not enough information. The Alaska coupon book.... study the contents before you buy it.

Don't short yourself, it may be a once in a lifetime experience, and it’s a LONG way to go if you miss an experience.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

I came up on the ferry with my RV mid April and will be driving thru Canada mid Sept and  have been workamping in Seward.  Reservations on the ferry start to fill up as early as Dec or Jan.  April weather was beautiful but many areas are not fully open.

(I was not impressed with the crowded 4th of July here in Seward.)

Many places I have not gone that you can't drive to include Kodiak, Katmai and I would prefer to take tours into the northern areas since I preferred staying in the water and forests over the tundra of the north.  I will have to come back to do it all. 

I would take the ferry over a cruse ship any day through the 'really' inside passage.  A small  cruse ship might be nice and Viking will be starting cruises to Alaska next year.  I would stop if taking my RV on the ferry in the SE communities along the way.

The drive through Canada seems like a separate vacation.  My route may change not due to snow or ice perhaps but to fires and mud slides.  

We are here now and having a blast. A summer in Alaska is an adventure not to be missed

On 4/29/2018 at 11:44 PM, Imurphy907 said:

Ian, Any chance you have room for two rigs when the state fair opens at the end of August?  We are fine for dry camping.  I'm going to owe you a few six packs as it is for your help with the DMV hahah 🙂

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Archived