Facebook man pulled and fined for length

GlennWest

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s one LEO’s perspective:

There has been a lot of time spent rehashing length issues in this thread.  It has always been very clear that if you run over length, you are taking a chance.  It may only be a slight chance, but it is still a chance.  If you don’t want any issues related to length, then know what the length laws are state to state and stay under the max set by the state(s) you travel in.  It is really that simple.  

There has been a trend recently of people building bigger/longer HDT’s and mating them up with bigger/longer trailers.  I don’t begrudge anyone doing this, but I also won’t feel sorry for anyone if they have length issues one day.  The law is very clear and it is a personal choice when you build a long rig.  

I personally have a short wheelbase HDT RV.  I chose it specifically for its short wheelbase and possible length issues.  My combination is under 65’ with a 42’ fiver purposefully because I didn’t want to deal with length issues.  

On the other hand, I sometimes double tow with my rig.  When I do this, I am over length most places.  So far I have not had an issue,  but I know it might be an issue some day and I am willing to take that chance for the convenience it affords me.  I won’t get mad at anyone but myself if I ever do have an issue because I knew it might be a problem and still made the choice to do it.

As to signage, while I concur that the wording on the side of an HDT for recreational use has no basis in law, I have no strong opinion one way or another about whether people have it on their HDT RV’s.  My truck has it, but it was on there when I bought it and I just didn’t feel like putting any effort toward taking it off.  It says “Recreational Vehicle Not For Hire”.  I really didn’t put a whole lot of thought into the signage originally.  It has always been kind of a polarizing issue on the forum, but it didn’t matter much to me one way or the other.  My truck had it when I bought it and I figured what the heck, it’s there, I’ll leave it.

I have only ever been pulled over once in 6+ years of traveling with my HDT RV and that one time was when I was bobtail.  I was crossing into Oklahoma from Texas eastbound on I40 going to pick up my new DRV.  I passed a large weigh station with big flashing signs saying all trucks must stop.  I was not driving a truck, I was driving an RV so I didn’t stop.  I suspected this might be an issue as I went by and sure enough I got chased down.  

I pulled off at the next exit and the trooper walked up to my driver door.  As he did so I watched him look over my RV hitch and my basic toter bed and then read my signage on the side of the truck.  I knew these things were not what he was used to looking at and it showed by his reactions as he did so.  He said something to me that I don’t remember anymore and I told him my vehicle was a registered RV.  I showed him my registration and he apologized for the inconvenience of the stop and sent me on my way.  

I know if my truck looked more like a commercial truck (like the one referenced in the OP), that conversation would have gone very differently.  I know this because it is how I would have handled it if I were the one making the stop.  As Phil likes to say, if it looks like a duck ...  

I try not to look like a duck by not having a commercial hitch, being singled, having a toter bed, etc. and, yes, having signage.  The signage doesn’t hurt and it may help, so if you want it put it on and if you don’t then don’t.  It is strictly personal preference.  When I eventually repaint my HDT RV, I will put it back on because so far I know it helped me (even if it was only a little bit) and every little bit helps when your trying not to be a duck. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

All the not for hire means you are not working for anyone. Some of our trucks have farm plates. It says "not for hire" right on the license plate. Some farmers put "not for hire' on the side of their trucks. We still have to adhere to DOT laws. I can go anywhere I want to go as long as I am only hauling things that belong to the farm.  If I go more than 100 miles from the farm I have to have log books. If I go out of state I need permits, and everything. So the DOT man sees 'not for hire' on a truck it don't really mean anything to him. It just mean you are not working for anyone.

Thanks to the info I got on this group I am not putting anything on the sides of my truck. I was going to put something like "private RV". The only thing going on the side a that little map of the states. The one where every time you camp in a new state you fill it in. The wife wants it.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

Thanks to the info I got on this group I am not putting anything on the sides of my truck. I was going to put something like "private RV". The only thing going on the side a that little map of the states. The one where every time you camp in a new state you fill it in. The wife wants it.

We plan to add the map as well, just trying to figure a good placement for it on the truck.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Cab Over Engine.  Those big flat front trucks.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, dan412 said:

How do you make a COE a Motorhome?

Same way as a conventional. Meet the requirements for your registration jurisdiction. Bathroom, food prep, separate power supply, yadda, yadda.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Here’s one LEO’s perspective:

There has been a lot of time spent rehashing length issues in this thread.  It has always been very clear that if you run over length, you are taking a chance.  It may only be a slight chance, but it is still a chance.  If you don’t want any issues related to length, then know what the length laws are state to state and stay under the max set by the state(s) you travel in.  It is really that simple.  

There has been a trend recently of people building bigger/longer HDT’s and mating them up with bigger/longer trailers.  I don’t begrudge anyone doing this, but I also won’t feel sorry for anyone if they have length issues one day.  The law is very clear and it is a personal choice when you build a long rig.  

I agree.  The law is black and white on issues like length and speed.  You have to make a decision and live with it and the possible consequences of your decision.  How many time has somebody told you there is a grace or buffer space between the speed limit and the speed you will actually be pulled over for?  They are wrong.  If you speed, regardless of how much or little you exceed the speed limit, you run the risk of receiving a citation.

Our HDT was in the 70'~72' range.  I knew from the moment we decided to go the HDT route that we would be over length due to the Jeep.  I was wiling to accept the risk of an length citation as I rationalized that all the advantages of the HDT vs P/U justified the risk.  I definitely prefer to be within the letter of the law but I felt the safety the HDT provided for the weights of trailer/Jeep justified the risks of a length citation.

Over the course of 7 years, 80k miles and 35 states, I never had an issue with my length (or anything else).  While I never had any problems, I was fully aware that my luck could have changed at any time and I could be issued a citation.  If I had received a citation, just like a speeding citation, I would have dealt with it and moved on.  A single citation for length would not result in me making changes to my setup.

As for signage, I feel it is a double edge sward.  It can both help and hurt you.  In the case of the setup that is the reason for this thread, I think it was one of many factors that led to him being pulled over.  Again if it looks like a duck ......

At the ECR there was a gentleman with a older truck with signage on the door.  The truck was retired from his now defunct family business and for nostalgic reasons he opted to keep the signage on the door.  He was aware that the signage put a target on his back (or door).  He carried all the usual paperwork to show the truck was now a RV in addition to paperwork that showed the prior family business had been shutdown.  Obviously he was aware that this could be a conversation he could be having on the side of the road or possibly in court.  For him the nostalgic reminder of the family business was worth the risk.  We all have different tolerances for the risks that are and are not acceptable to us.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

My dually and trailer is 56 feet.  I have a Mor/Ryde pin cushion left over from towing by pickup.  The trailer doesn't chuck the real truck so I might project an oscillating upper 5th wheel plate that is straight down and shorten another foot.  I have lots of air gap to the trailer. 

My truck tractor is unmarked except for stone chips, rust and bugs here and there. 

My secret is the missing, faded, and wrecked dee cals and fluttering bits of caulking and mismatched wheel trims of my trailer. One look at that and an enforcement person maybe thinks: "No one in their right mind would pay a commercial carrier to move that thing..." 

I only had white duct tab to seal rain out of the hole in the nose cap ... thinking of doing a renovation project and switch to grey for the summer. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I really like my setup except for the peeling clear coat on my hood. I will fix that after I get back to work. I am really bummed out that I ended over length. Wanted a 610 truck but didn't find one when I was ready. Didn't know this ole Freightshaker was so much longer. I mean, Phil has a 780, towing 40' with his Smart on deck and under 65'. I can't do that.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I only had white duct tab to seal rain out of the hole in the nose cap ... thinking of doing a renovation project and switch to grey for the summer. 

I don't think you are supposed to wear grey after Memorial day:)

Jackalopee

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I only had white duct tape to seal rain out of the hole in the nose cap ... thinking of doing a renovation project and switch to grey for the summer. 

38 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

I don't think you are supposed to wear grey after Memorial day:)

Why thank you Parrformance - 

We don't have Memorial Day here, but in deference and respect to the armed forces members and veterans of our friendliest ally, world's largest trading relationship,  world's longest undefended border, largest respective investors in each others' economies, 

I hereby will leave the white tape as is.  :) :) 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I am over length and width with the new smart car. I accept that. I also have "PRIVATE RV NOT FOR HIRE" on the RV. I was chased down by a DOT vehicle after passing scales in Montana a few years ago. They saw the signage on the truck and just backed off and turned around. It may not mean anything but I will be keeping it on because it make me feel better. :)

8 hours ago, RickS said:

Yup.....safety equipment like mirrors and bumpers don't get measured in length and width as far as I know.

So, bumpers on the Smart are for safety right?  Seems legal to me:)

Jackalopee

20 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I really like my setup except for the peeling clear coat on my hood. I will fix that after I get back to work. I am really bummed out that I ended over length. Wanted a 610 truck but didn't find one when I was ready. Didn't know this ole Freightshaker was so much longer. I mean, Phil has a 780, towing 40' with his Smart on deck and under 65'. I can't do that.

I think Phil has one of those special tapes that measure things 2 or 3 feet shorter than they really are. 😛

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

8 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I think Phil has one of those special tapes that measure things 2 or 3 feet shorter than they really are. 😛

If he rolls it forward it measures short, if it rolls backwards it measures long.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

10 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If he rolls it forward it measures short, if it rolls backwards it measures long.....

Howdy Jim,

I don't know but I am thinking that the final measurement on Phil's, tape may have a direct relationship to the amount of dr. pepper that was offered whilst said measurement was being taken.  Then again that may just be internet rumor and have no basis in actual fact. :rolleyes:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

40 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Then again that may just be internet rumor and have no basis in actual fact. :rolleyes:

Dave

I'm pretty sure the Dr.Pepper myth is true..... I think I seen it once for myself in an area north of Houston..... But that was in a parking lot and no trailer behind the truck..... 😏

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived