Personal Property Insurance

OWV

I am looking for information on insurance policies that will ensure the contents of a motorhome, including high end items like electronics, similar to the personal property covered in a conventional sticks and bricks homeowners insurance policy. I have been researching various full-timer personal property coverage provided for in a motorhome insurance policy, while there are options for total coverage, I am learning that individual items are typically only covered up to a maximum of $500.00. For computers, cameras and other "toys" $500 doesn't cover very much if there is a break in or damage caused by fire or water for example.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help and regards,

OWV

General has both my Truck and Fifth Wheel, On the Fifth Wheel I have a Line Item "Personal Effects" which covers the mentions items. Cost was about $12 per $1,000 insured. Just like the Stick Home you need to list items of value or worthwhile quantities.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We have Geico and when we first talked to them about going full time they said "OH YES we can cover that and can give you a policy similar to your home coverage that includes personal property and general liability insurance too". Talk to your present company and ask them if they can cover it.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Most (all?) policies have provisions for adding "declared high value property" at a nominal cost.  When we used to travel with my wife's fancy sewing machine we had it insured for full value using this approach.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

25 minutes ago, docj said:

Most (all?) policies have provisions for adding "declared high value property" at a nominal cost.  When we used to travel with my wife's fancy sewing machine we had it insured for full value using this approach.

That was one of our "listed items" also as there was no way that Pam was going fulltime without her sewing machine and serger!         

OWV, are you dealing with insurance that covers fulltime RV living as most agencies that deal in this should have the sort of coverages that you need. Standard RV policies usually do not. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you or were your parents veterans who were discharged honorably after any active duty service even one hitch? If so call USAA as they had a good grasp of our needs full-time when we started way back in 1997. +1 800-531-8722

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Are you or were your parents veterans who were discharged honorably after any active duty service even one hitch? If so call USAA as they had a good grasp of our needs full-time when, we started way back in 1997. +1 800-531-8722

USAA no longer underwrites policies for motorhomes - they'll shunt you to Progressive for that. They do still insure towables and that's who our policies are with. All three vehicles (fifth wheel, truck, "chase car") are covered as well as a renters type policy to cover personal effects and liability when not rolling. We have an add-on VPP (valuable personal property) "rider" that covers musical instruments, firearms, electronics, etc., as well. The great part is that the policies cover everything back in our climate-controlled storage unit, too.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

When the driver's side window on our pickup was smashed and the brand new Garmin GPS taken its full replacement cost was covered by the personal property provision of our Progressive full time policy, and not the pickup's.  The pickup's policy covered it's damage. 

Later, J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Thanks for the add-on Rob. I too insured my fifth wheel not Motorhome.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

When we started as full timers and got SD residency, we stopped at the independent RV insurance agency recommended by our mailing service.  We learned the hard way that the policy we bought did not include coverage for property stolen out of a rental car.  Further checking also revealed we had almost no theft coverage for property in the RV.  We did a lot of checking and research to finally come up with a company that provided adequate coverage for theft.  I won't bother to mention the name of the company because they have since stopped providing RV policies.

The theft exclusion sort of makes sense.  The vast majority of RV insurance policies are for people who also have homeowners insurance which does cover personal property.  Typically such policies cover property outside of the home such as in an RV.  In spite of what we were repeatedly told by insurance agents, in fact very few RV policies are written for full timers.  To make the situation even more complicated, policies typically vary by the State where they originate.  So if someone tells you they have a policy with great coverage that may be entirely different for your residency State. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Second Chance said:

USAA no longer underwrites policies for motorhomes - they'll shunt you to Progressive for that. They do still insure towables and that's who our policies are with. All three vehicles (fifth wheel, truck, "chase car") are covered as well as a renters type policy to cover personal effects and liability when not rolling. We have an add-on VPP (valuable personal property) "rider" that covers musical instruments, firearms, electronics, etc., as well. The great part is that the policies cover everything back in our climate-controlled storage unit, too.

Rob

Second Chance... how do you start the conversation with USAA about this? I'm about to start full-timing for the first time ever (in about a month) with a travel trailer, and they gave me a quote for insuring the trailer, but I hadn't asked them about full-timing rates yet. What do you say about your "residence address"? I think I am kinda worried about setting off red flags (I have no idea why, maybe just because I perceive a certain stigma attached to mentioning full-time RVing). All of my belongings will be carried with me, nothing in storage. But I currently have a rental insurance policy because I've been sticks-and-bricks with them for... over 14 years now. Do I need that still? In addition to these questions, I guess I'm just wondering what to say to the agent so that my needs and intentions are completely clear and above-board.

10 minutes ago, Perverse Satisfaction said:

Second Chance... how do you start the conversation with USAA about this? I'm about to start full-timing for the first time ever (in about a month) with a travel trailer, and they gave me a quote for insuring the trailer, but I hadn't asked them about full-timing rates yet. What do you say about your "residence address"? I think I am kinda worried about setting off red flags (I have no idea why, maybe just because I perceive a certain stigma attached to mentioning full-time RVing). All of my belongings will be carried with me, nothing in storage. But I currently have a rental insurance policy because I've been sticks-and-bricks with them for... over 14 years now. Do I need that still? In addition to these questions, I guess I'm just wondering what to say to the agent so that my needs and intentions are completely clear and above-board.

I just told them that we were selling the house and going full-time in the RV. I wouldn't dream of trying to insure our equipment and ourselves without the insurer knowing everything. That would only open us up for denied claims down the road if anything were to happen. After the representative finished the conversation about the vehicles and the RV, they went on to discuss liability and our personal property (both in the RV and the things we were leaving in storage). The best approach to this turned out to be a renter's policy with some VPP (valuable personal property) addenda for musical instruments, firearms, etc. Our legal domicile is provided by the Escapees mail service and USAA understood that we would be registering the vehicles in Polk County, TX, and getting Texas drivers' licenses. Everything was set up with our Escapees Livingston address.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

22 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

I just told them that we were selling the house and going full-time in the RV. I wouldn't dream of trying to insure our equipment and ourselves without the insurer knowing everything. That would only open us up for denied claims down the road if anything were to happen. After the representative finished the conversation about the vehicles and the RV, they went on to discuss liability and our personal property (both in the RV and the things we were leaving in storage). The best approach to this turned out to be a renter's policy with some VPP (valuable personal property) addenda for musical instruments, firearms, etc. Our legal domicile is provided by the Escapees mail service and USAA understood that we would be registering the vehicles in Polk County, TX, and getting Texas drivers' licenses. Everything was set up with our Escapees Livingston address.

Rob

Thanks so much Rob! This makes me feel a lot more comfortable. They have great rates and service and I've been glad to be with them through the years. Now I have better idea where to start the discussion.

The main thing about being sure your insurance company knows you need full-timers insurance is that you need the liability coverage your homeowner's or renter's policy used to include. Heaven forbid you not have this coverage if a neighbor trips on your steps.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The best article I've seen explaining all the different kinds of RV coverage I've seen is here:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

I strongly suggest you take a few minutes to read this.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Archived