Black Tank Chemicals - Liquid or Dry?

pauldeb

We're full-timers and have always used liquid chemicals in our black tank, but are considering changing to the dry packets.

2 questions: Do they work as well as the liquid? Any suggestions as to which brand(s) are the most effective?

Thanks.

Paul

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you considered using no chemicals?  This is a topic that comes up now and then on the forums and the majority of full-timers, ourselves included, do not use chemicals at all. We don't experience any issues with smell or solids build-up, which are the two issues that chemicals are advertised to address.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

5 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

To answer the question the OP asked.  There is no difference between the dry and liquid chemicals.  We've used both with no difference.

While I agree with this, I have not used any sort of chemicals in many years but do on rare occasion if use is high due to visitors or when temperatures are very high use a biological product. We always use septic safe toilet paper and we dump when more than half full. We also add a dose of laundry detergent and 1/3 tank of water before travel about twice each year and then dump that as soon as we stop to avoid any buildup in the tanks. We also always use generous amounts of water when flushing.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

25 minutes ago, pauldeb said:

Thanks to all for your input. We've been full-timing for 15 years & I don't recall seeing anything about not using chemicals in the black tank to break down waste & control odor.

We have never used any other chemical to control anything , other than plain old water in our black tank - going on 8 years of full time . Just like in the sticks & bricks place we use to have . The only thing that gets flushed is bowl cleaner and the occasional pan of done dish water .

Some folks have the kind of money they can just flush down the toilet . We aren't that 'wealthy' .

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, pauldeb said:

Thanks to all for your input. We've been full-timing for 15 years & I don't recall seeing anything about not using chemicals in the black tank to break down waste & control odor.

You add all of the bacteria necessary for biological decomposition each time you use the toilet.  Nothing else is needed beside water.  And water is a chemical.  Why spend money when you don’t need to?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Since we started our first go-around at full timing there has always been the controversy about using chemicals, or not using chemicals in the black tank.   Just like some folks use RV toilet paper and some use septic tank safe toilet paper.

Most RVers probably just stick with what has been working for them.  We have always put some type of cheap liquid black tank additive in our black tank, along with tons of water, plus only Scott's RV butt wipe.  We may be spending an extra $10 to $15 a month but I have never had a gate valve malfunction or black tank repair, so I'm sticking with what works for me.

To the OP, if you have been full time for 15 years and what you have been doing is working, I wouldn't change now.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Have no idea if it did any good or not but I read somewhere that adding some ice to your black tank would help rub off stuff that was starting to cling to the inside of the tank.  Made sense to me.  Hence twice I have dumped a bag of ice down the stool just before heading out.  The second part of this theory is by the time you get where you are going you dump the tank (melted ice and all) while stuff is still in suspension. 

Later,  J 

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Neither. I add nothing that might inhibit the natural break-down of human waste in the black tank. Every few months, we use the "Geo Method" to clean all the tanks (put a little dish detergent and some borax crystals in each tank and fill about 1/4 full with fresh water before hitting the road). BTW - the ice thing doesn't work. Most of the time, it all melts before it could do any good.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

As Kirk stated, we also do not use any of the additives for our tanks.  We do use septic safe TP, usually Scotts, and once in awhile dump a scoop of Tide down the black water tank, and dump when we arrive.  Awhile ago, one of the gray water sensors would not go out, so did the thing with Tide, worked.  It's really just any low foaming soap with a surfactant, I was a little surprised at all the sludge that came out of the gray water tank, after the tide treatment.        

We use the GEO method google to see what it is. We had the comment at the factory they never smelled a black system that clean.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

2 hours ago, accumack said:

We had the comment at the factory they never smelled a black system that clean.

I have never smelled anyone's used black tank and have no plans to do so. Geo is one of the RV world's biggest hoaxes. Like so many of the things passed around the internet. Why would you want it clean when you have plans to go potty in it? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

DiHydrogen oxide is the superior additive, but only comes in liquid form. And you use more of it than any other additive for flushing because you have to add it before and after.

A little humor. While discussing our yards and pest control the guy who just moved in said he used Humane Elephant Repellent. (H.E.R.). With good results. But we don't have elephants here we told him. He said see, it works perfectly!

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

If you have to remove the toilet you get to smell it.  Geo method uses no harsh chemicals and helps keep the sensors clean. Believe what you want but it is not a hoax having used i have proof it works.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

We have never had a black sensor to work. Concerning ice, I have done that twice, each time with great success. Once with the DRV and once with our Teton just after we got them. Each time sheets of film off of tank came out. I really believe adding chemicals is a waste of money. We not poor and have money to burn but I we don't waste money on tank chemicals. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

We have never had a black sensor to work. Concerning ice, I have done that twice, each time with great success. Once with the DRV and once with our Teton just after we got them. Each time sheets of film off of tank came out. I really believe adding chemicals is a waste of money. We not poor and have money to burn but I we don't waste money on tank chemical.

In some places, burning money can be illegal.  Sorry, Glenn, I just couldn't resist.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived