Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does)

RV_

Lately I have noticed that Windows will remember what I had open when before any shutdown was a full shutdown.

Excerpt:

"When you click “Shut Down” on your Windows 10 PC, Windows doesn’t fully shut down. It hibernates the kernel, saving its state so it can boot faster. If you’re experiencing computer problems and need to reset that state, you’ll need to restart your PC instead.

We’ve personally experienced this problem ourselves. When faced with weird system problems that may be caused by a buggy driver or other low-level software issues, the problem persisted after shutting down our PC and booting it back up.

Why Doesn’t the “Shut Down” Option Fully Shut Down?

This weirdness is all thanks to Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” feature, which is enabled by default. This feature was introduced in Windows 8, and has also been called Fast Boot and Hybrid Boot or Hybrid Shutdown.

If you’re troubleshooting system problems, you’ll want to perform a full shut down of the kernel to ensure Windows reinitializes things from scratch. To do this, just click the “Restart” option in the menu instead of the “Shut Down” option. Windows restarts your computer, but it performs a full shut down first and discards the state of the kernel while doing so.

Microsoft made this decision because people experiencing problems often reboot their computers to fix them, so it makes some sense. On the other hand, it’s counterintuitive that the “Restart” option performs a more complete shut down than the “Shut Down” option. But that’s how it works!

You can also perform a full shut down by pressing and holding the Shift key on your keyboard while you click the “Shut Down” option in Windows. This works whether you’re clicking the option in the Start menu, on the sign-in screen, or on the screen that appears after you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. "

If that is unclear go to the original full article I only excerpted here because there are screen shots and full screen demos as well as related hot links. THe article is here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for sharing Derek - that might be why I am having problems with BobCad.  I will have to experiment and see.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

And the Windows wierd way of doing things goes on and on...

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I have had so many problems with hybrid shutdown that I always disable it.  The howtogeek article mentions unchecking a box in the control panel, but I have seen some computers where this option was not available.  I have found that opening an administrator command prompt and typing "powercfg -h off" works every time.

Safe Travels... 

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

You can make a shortcut and put the below command in the Target and do a complete Shutdown from the Start Screen.

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f  /t 0

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Thanks Roger and thanks hatrack, welcome to the forums. Roger how are the knees doing?

YW Jim and Len. I get surprised with corners of Windows now too. I am just a user these days.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 hours ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Roger and thanks hatrack, welcome to the forums. Roger how are the knees doing?

Hi RV,

I am always glad when I can pass on a tip that may help someone.  The knee surgery went well.  PT (physical torture) lady works me hard but at 5 weeks the pain is almost gone and range of motion is excellent.  To celebrate I purchased a new Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Safe Travels... 

On 4/23/2018 at 8:08 AM, k4rs said:

I have found that opening an administrator command prompt and typing "powercfg -h off" works every time.

I feel a dumb about this. Where is this or another new name, I think I had that in Windows 7

16 hours ago, hatrack said:

You can make a shortcut and put the below command in the Target and do a complete Shutdown from the Start Screen.

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f  /t 0

Or maybe this option sounds the easiest for my wife. Where is the TARGET? Is that the Bottom LH corner, never heard it called Target. I'm looking for one click shutdown and I think that is what you may be saying.

Thanks OLD Clay B  the ocb of my ID

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Clay,

First off don't feel dumb, we all all learned these from not knowing at the beginning. We have a great group here to answer questions about Windows, Linux, and now OSX and iOS too! I am just Windows and recommends only on Linux. There are folks who try to lord their computer expertise over others but trust me, no one, even at Microsoft, ever learns all of MS Word! And that is just one program. Relax, we gotcha!

In Windows 10 you just right click the start button in the lower left, then left click on "Command Prompt (Admin)" in the menu that pops up. A screen then appears in a moment that has typing already on it and a blinking cursor. Just start typing  "powercfg -h off" without the quotation marks, and make sure you have the spaces as indicated between the g and the -h, and another space between the -h and the word off. Spaces are critical in commands. Do not put a space from the cursor just start typing. Here is a nice video that shows you exactly what you will  see. I agree to always use admin command prompt because then you will always see the commands work even when admin level authority is required. Here is a great little video so you see all the screens exactly: 

On the second way right click on any part of the home screen that is blank, hover the mouse over new and a new menu appears, then left click on shortcut at the top. It will ask for the location of the file it will access and there is where you type in " C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f  /t 0" without the quotation marks. That is what was referred to as the target above.

Go ahead and try them without putting in the commands and just click the X to exit out as they do nothing until you choose to type in and run or put in a location/command.

They are safe to try. If you have never right clicked on the start button (Lower left hand corner)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, k4rs said:

Hi RV,

I am always glad when I can pass on a tip that may help someone.  The knee surgery went well.  PT (physical torture) lady works me hard but at 5 weeks the pain is almost gone and range of motion is excellent.  To celebrate I purchased a new Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Safe Travels... 

Outstanding! Enjoy your ride! MY Harley was a 1996 Electra glide classic. I had to sell it when we returned from Germany and moved into the fifth wheel full time. The 1990 HitchHiker frame could not handle that weight on the back. But you have a stix n brix too now and can leave it home.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV Thanks for the giant leap you provided. me. The second option is just I wanted for wife.

Yes I had been to Command Prompt before but in mind set I just kind of referred too it as the old DOS Prompt.

There was nothing wrong with DOS 3.23

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

7 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

Or maybe this option sounds the easiest for my wife. Where is the TARGET? Is that the Bottom LH corner, never heard it called Target. I'm looking for one click shutdown and I think that is what you may be saying.

You can right click on the Desktop and select New and than Shortcut and when the box pops up paste the text into the box. After you click Next another box open type Full Shutdown Windows or word of your chose.

Text:    C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f  /t 0

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

On newer versions of Windows 10, the menu you see when you right click the "Start" button has Power Shell (Admin) rather than Command but they work the same way (you can even type "cmd" to return to the old command prompt if you don't like power shell).

Safe Travels...

I have mine set to show command and admin command prompts rather than power shell.

That is just a setting guys see this:

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived