Coach-Net Crashed on me

ChuckD

My Dear Bride and I went for a nice drive thru the Ave of the Giants in the redwood forest in California.  As we drive about 30 MPH  a redwood tree decided to fall across the highway, the same one we were on.  It was close, very close.  It hit, bounced and we were ON it.  Yep, that's right ON it.  I got away from the trunk and drove up the branches onto the top.  So here we are sitting on top of a three foot thick tree.  Needless to say, the car (happily not the coach) was damaged badly.  The coach was 40 miles away in the RV park.  The CHP was there real soon, and we tried to contact Coach-nt but no one answered the phone so we had to use the basic AAA we had,  It covers 5 miles or something like that.  The car had to be removed from the tree then towed to their lot.   When I finally got to Coach-Net they told me THEY DID NOT COVER ACCIDENTS.  To me that does not make sense.  So I have over a thousand dollar tow bill and am looking for another company to be with that has towing even with accidents.  I am going to cancel Coach-net.  It came with the new motorhome and it is gone.  Any other companies you all can recommend?  Once again I ask the experts.

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Why didn’t your auto insurance company take over?  

My thought also, but it does bring a question about Coachnet or any other road-service policy which probably should be asked.  Good to hear that you were not hurt!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The exact wording from my Coach-Net Membership Guide suggests that they do cover accident towing up to $500, but only if your vehicle insurance company rejects your claim:

Accidents/Vandalism/Fire(3) - In case of a mechanical disablement due to an accident, vandalism, or a vehicle specific fire which are normally covered by motor vehicle insurance, you must pay the service provider, submit the bill to your insurance company and then, if the insurance company refuses payment of the charge, upon submission of the service provider invoice and a copy of the insurance letter specifying the reason for rejecting the claim, Coach-Net will reimburse for covered roadside services up to a limit of $500 per incident.  All claims are processed in 30 days.

(3) Residents of UT are excluded from this provision

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

13 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Why didn’t your auto insurance company take over?  

Some Insurance does not cover towing.  And why have double coverage.  As far as I knew I was cover with all my towing with Coach-Net.

Dutch, I can't find that statement in my brand new membership papers.  And the claims people at Coach-net said  "No coverage with accidents".  What can I say?

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Very glad the tree missed you guys!

Why on earth would your insurance broker even present a policy to you where you are "on the hook" pardon the pun for recovery/towing if you have an accident that damages your auto so it is not roadworthy? 

If you biffed 'er off Hwy 1 into the Pacific like rental van guy did the other week there that could be a hefty bill what with helicopters, divers, winch trucks and on lookers...:o

My broker would look at me and say, "Don't be an idiot. I'm not writing that policy for you that way."  But then again we've known each other since middling school. :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

Will any of the other ERS's tow in the case of an accident?

That, Linda, is something I am checking out.  Will let you know.

Tried to download pictures but they are to big, Got play with them first.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Good Sam
Subject to the provisions of this brochure, towing services and other  roadside services are also provided for membership-owned vehicles which become disabled as a result of a collision.

TRIP INTERRUPTION ASSISTANCE
You’re eligible for reimbursement for the cost of meals, lodging and car rental
if your vehicle is disabled due to a collision with another vehicle more than
100 miles from your home. You’ll get reimbursement for all your eligible
expenses, up to $100 a day for 5 consecutive days. You are eligible to
receive reimbursement for two disablement events per membership year – up
to $1,000 total ($500 per event)

COVERED EXPENSES INCLUDE:
• Reasonable Expenses for Meals
• Lodging (campground/hotel/motel)
• Car Rental

TRIP INTERRUPTION ASSISTANCE RESTRICTIONS5
You may be eligible for Trip Interruption Assistance benefits if the vehicle you
are driving is in a collision with another vehicle.

Distance: The collision must have occurred more than 100 miles (based
upon actual mileage of the most direct route) from your registered permanent
address.

Reimbursement limits: Reimbursement for meals, lodging and car rental
are subject to a maximum collective daily limit and a single event maximum
collective limit.

Daily Limit: The maximum reimbursement is $100 per day.
Single event maximum benefit limit: The maximum daily limit of $100
may be reimbursed to you until the vehicle is repaired, for up to five (5)
consecutive days.
This benefit will only be allowed for two qualifying collision events for any
one-year term of membership.
To receive this benefit, your vehicle must either
be disabled and unable to be driven or towed by your tow vehicle for more
than 24 hours as a result of a collision with another vehicle. This benefit does
not apply if your vehicle is disabled due to a mechanical failure. Benefits
begin after the initial 24-hour period (from the time of the collision) has
elapsed.
There is no benefit if, as a result of the collision, your insurance carrier deems
your vehicle a total loss.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

4 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Some Insurance does not cover towing.  And why have double coverage.  As far as I knew I was cover with all my towing with Coach-Net.

Dutch, I can't find that statement in my brand new membership papers.  And the claims people at Coach-net said  "No coverage with accidents".  What can I say?

I'll have to check with them, Chuck. That's from the benefits booklet that came with my 3 year renewal a couple of years ago.

On edit: I just checked the Coach-Net site, and the exact wording I posted is still there, even in the "Basic" plan benefits guide on page 3.

https://member.coach-net.com/Members/MemberDocuments.aspx?filename=BASIC.pdf&filetype=1

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks Dutch, this is more complete than what I had.  Now I just might get some of it back.  But I won't hold my breath.  I will let you all know how it turns out.  Thanks for the replies.  

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

18 hours ago, Biker56 said:

TRIP INTERRUPTION ASSISTANCE
You’re eligible for reimbursement for the cost of meals, lodging and car rental
if your vehicle is disabled due to a collision with another vehicle more than
100 miles from your home.

Hmmm...interesting language.  I wonder if you'd be eligible for reimbursement if the collision was with a tree, as in Chuck's case, rather than another vehicle?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Don't think so, that comes up before you do something really dumb.  This happen to fast to even think about a beer, alto a few came to mind later.

2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Archived