generator in truck bed

the ol farm boy

A friend fabricated a mount that bolted onto the 5th wheel pin box to carry a genset. He also ran wiring from the main panel to a 30A plug mounted near the pin box. When using shore or generator power, he used a double-pole, double-throw switch box for that source. The genset stayed on that mount all the time, he could run the air conditioner while traveling too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 4 weeks later...

we have a 6500 portable onan. Carry it in the back of the truck. its not to loud, works and handles every thing no problems. as for hooking up the 5th wheel, we put a mirror, (4in x 6 in) on the front of the 5th wheel so I could see the tip of the tounge. Then I painted a 2 in strip6 in long in the center right above the pin. Then I painted a 2 in stipe on both sides of the hitch V. Now when backing up to hook up I just keep the stripe on the pin between the V on hitch and it goes in easy. hope this helps

SKP 98010
1990 Bounder 27D by Fleetwood
Ray and Elen living this beautiful life style and exploring this beautiful country

and when your onan has issues in the middle of a trip and they can't get you in to check it out for two months (apparently we need to open an onan power generation repair shop. Every shop I called in four states told me 6-12 weeks to get in.) you improvise to keep the AC in the sleeper and the refigerators running on truck and trailer (especially in 106 degree heat).

IJcdsCKl.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, mickeyblueyes said:

Lockmup68  I love your set up. How is the sway on the highway? You gotta be 70 feet? 

Anyway just curious you run 2 refrigerators and a A/C with 4000 Watts? Just askin? 

what is sway? :) That is why you go HDT.

I ran the residential fridge in the trailer, the small fridge in the truck and the bunk AC in the truck with the Honda's. Getting the Onan 8k fixed finally, but the Honda's got us through the rest of the trip. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 8/3/2018 at 2:54 PM, lockmup68 said:

and when your onan has issues in the middle of a trip and they can't get you in to check it out for two months (apparently we need to open an onan power generation repair shop. Every shop I called in four states told me 6-12 weeks to get in.) you improvise to keep the AC in the sleeper and the refigerators running on truck and trailer (especially in 106 degree heat).

IJcdsCKl.jpg

Old onan's  like mine. Have no electronics there voltage output is dictated solely by engine speed. Set the engine speed 62hz no load and all is well. As long as the engine starts its will generate. Tri-fuel Onan even better. Propane runs out. Flip the switch excite the fuel pump and on gas she goes. 

So unless you run it out of oil and it holds 7 quarts. It will run forever. Never rebuilt the carb simply clean it with a can of carb cleaner and compressed air and your back in business. Simple and bulletproof.

Bulletproof is running 96 hours straight with 9kw load on it. 99-105 degree heat. Never even blinked. 2 air conditioners, washing clothes, microwave etc  Life as normal improvising power no where. Seen a Honda eb1000 throw a rod and a few champions bite the dust. Those that knocked my JC only listened to it purr as they sweat it off. 

On 6/5/2018 at 4:07 AM, jenandjon said:

Something to look into. I went to Case to get some parts yesterday. Turns out Case IH is making generators.  They had some on hand at my dealer. They look well made. Really resemble the Honda generators for a fraction of the price.

https://partstore.caseih.com/us/bc3500ig-p2692894.html?csid=1bc5902d92fec39b2555e6db46b9cca2&sl=EN&currency=

http://deltapower.ca/listing/case-ih-2000-watt-inverter-generator-53123.html

check them out good. as they are made in comunist china. no service center for any work. forget parts. have to buy a whole unit for even a air filter.

oil filters?

spark plugs?.

Archived