DISH Let You Change Your Own Local Stations

Zulu

18 minutes ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Yep, really like the Hopper3. No recording conflicts!

With 6 tuners available to us on two Hopper 2's, I can't recall the last time we saw a conflict. I don't know when we would ever need 32 tuners.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I like being on the leading edge

Mark n Dale, I'm usually the same, but with DISH I'm happy staying just one step UNDER the leading edge lol

With BOTH an old DISH multi tuner home receiver and large elliptical 3 LNB antenna (with portable tripod if needed) PLUS a Tailgater dome and Wally with a portable HD for recording, ALL works great so I see no need to upgrade to a Hopper. When on the road if I only use the Wally I cancel the home receiver to avoid the $7 extra fee. There are advantages and disadvantages to BOTH and sure the Hopper may be even better, but if I ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it for now at least lol. Its a little hassle to set up a tripod and larger antenna on the road when moving often  (but offers advantages and I'm good at it and fast) but like NO trouble to push a button so the Dome works. Gotta love having choices and options ain't technology grand. Now if DISH renders my Wally and Dome inoperable I will have heartburn but will cross that bridge when I come to it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

John T

Well I haven't needed a second receiver since the VIP622/612 combo in the beginning so we could have HD on two TVs.  Other than the first VIP622 that had the HDMI socket problem, I have never needed a backup receiver.  Nor do I like to pay for more receivers than I need.

I do push 6 tuners sometime and the nice thing, every recording is in the same repository.  The spouse has enough issues without looking for where a recording it.

We use the Blue Tooth capability off the Hopper 3 and I really like my Model 54.0 lighted remotes.

We have two Joeys that drive the 4 TVs in the motorhome, or when at homebase in the trailer, 2 TVs in the trailer and one in the Coachhouse.  They are still Joey 2.0 as I haven't found a reason to get Joey 3.0s, so I am not on the extreme leading edge.

I own no Dish receivers as I do not worry about contracts. I have enough investment is Trav'ler dishes, tripod, dishes, etc. to keep me as a Dish user.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I was just informed by Dish that the Service Address change by using the MyDish.com App is limited to Wally/VIP211 users.  These are usually stick&brick homes users with a RV receiver.

I guess Dish figures that if we are full-time, we don't need the help of the MyDish.com App.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I was just informed by Dish that the Service Address change by using the MyDish.com App is limited to Wally/VIP211 users. 

Thanks for passing on that info Mark & Dale. That will make it easier if I ever need to do that. Often I forego the locals (and save the $12 extra fee) if anywhere near a big enough city to get them free over the air using my King Jack which really works well. Nuttin like having a lot of choices and options yayyyyyyyyyy, two receivers is enough for me, however, I don't need three lol. Other then the News and History,  Discovery, Travel, Animal Planet, DIY type of  channels we don't spend much time on the boob tube, opting instead for the great outdoors.  

John T

On 4/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

I'm hoping they'll eventually extend the feature to the web version of MyDish as well since I prefer using a full sized keyboard when possible. I've installed the MyDish app in an Android emulator on my laptop that works as a pretty good substitute though.

What do you see when you click on the "DISH Outdoors" tab in My Dish on your computer?  Mine gives me an option to "Wake Up Receivers".

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

28 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

What do you see when you click on the "DISH Outdoors" tab in My Dish on your computer?  Mine gives me an option to "Wake Up Receivers".

Yep, I see the same thing, followed by:

"Get Your Local Channels"

"You asked, we listened! As a DISH Outdoors customer, you can now update your local channels (NBC, CBS, etc.) on the go using the MyDISH App."

"Download the MyDISH App for Android or iOS, open the Services tab, then select Local Channels in the DISH Outdoors section.."

Dutch

7 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I was just informed by Dish that the Service Address change by using the MyDish.com App is limited to Wally/VIP211 users.  These are usually stick&brick homes users with a RV receiver.

I guess Dish figures that if we are full-time, we don't need the help of the MyDish.com App.

The app lets me go all the way through the change, although I have not yet done the final step since I don't want to change locals yet. The only receivers on my account are two Hoppers with Sling.

Dutch

Not seeing the "Get your local channels".  I see "Wake Up Receivers" on the PC App, not the Android App.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

That suggests that your account is not flagged appropriately for access to the locals feature on the app. And no, I don't know what that flag is or how to get it changed. I do have access, but I don't know why...

Dutch

According to a Dish Dirt rep, I have the Outdoors TV flag on my account but it isn't giving the feature.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I just went on my Dish app, and I get the same screen as the first post.  It also shows up as an Outdoors account, and we only have Dish in our rig.  We had the 211k boxes until they were fried, and now have the Wally's.  This is something we also have been wanting for a long time.  We will know in a little over a week if this works, when we hit the road again.

dish outdoors1.jpg

I had an interesting exchange with Dish support via Facebook earlier today.  I asked them about my getting the capability to change locals.  The guy who was helping me researched my account and said I was already flagged as a Dish Outdoor customer (news to me - I've had the same account for years).  At first he said I should have it.  Then, after about 10 minutes he came back and said it was because of my receiver not being a Wally or 211 receiver (I have a 722K and I sure wouldn't trade it for either one).  He said he was going submit my request as feedback and see if there are any plans on expanding the capability to change one's own locals.

So, as Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by that much."

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I find that interesting since the only devices on my account are two Hoppers w/Sling and one Joey. Yet I have the same feature on the app as Zulu and Becky...

Dutch

Dish told me that only pay in advance accounts such as “pay as you go” accounts have the ability to change locals on the app at this time. Of course it seems we are all getting different answers. He did say it would eventually roll out to everyone with Outdoor accounts but didn’t know when.

VickI

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

Here is the rules from a Dish DIRT:

MattG@DISH

Pay-as-You-Go (Used for Traveling or Outdoors Only)

• Must be a Pay-in-Advance customer
  • Required to purchase a portable dish
  • Must have all purchased receivers
  • DISH Pause is not allowed
  • Service will be automatically disconnected 30 days after beginning of most recent service period the customer has paid for if no additional payment is made. Transfer the call using the "unresolved acct issue" reason in CTI Toolbar if the customer plans to restart within 60 days or wants to cancel today to preserve their credit balance.

Hybrid Account (Home Account+Service for Traveling or Outdoors Use)

• Required to purchase a portable dish
  • May use leased receivers from home or can use the following purchased receivers on a Hopper account:
    • Up to two 211 receivers
    • Up to one Wally receiver

Explains why Dutch has the feature.  Still an issue to me that full-time subscribers cannot get a feature limited to part-time subscribers.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Flex "PAYGO" accounts are month to month, with no contract and all purchased equipment. Mark's listing does explain the reported situations though, both the 211/Wally requirement and the PAYGO requirement. As far as the part-time limitation, which we're not but Dish doesn't know that, I'm speculating they may have wanted a limited initial roll-out to get a feel for the bugs and server loading. Or they don't have a way easily differentiate between a full-time RV'er and residential contract accounts. I suggested to them at one point that something similar to the DNS qualification could be used, but I guess that didn't get too far up the line.

Dutch

We meet everything in the first list except the PAYGO part. We have purchased all of our equipment, have portable dishes and are not residential. Seems like the option would be perfect for users like us, yet we can’t get it. FRUSTRATED!! 😤

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going back and forth with a tech at dish, he say I'm all setup but it doesn't work even after uninstalling and installing the app. This time I sent him a screen shot of the services page to show him that the app isn't working. I've had a RV account for 6 years and we own all our equipment and are pay as you go.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

After complaining several times in the surveys they send each time I chat to change locals, I received an email from a customer satisfaction official stating that the reason I couldn’t get the service on the app was due to my equipment. I have Hopper 3 and Joey which she states are for residential use and not for outdoor accounts even though my account is flagged as an outdoor RV account. No information on whether I will eventually be able to use the feature.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

After sending the tech a screen shot of my app everything went quiet 😴 maybe he figured out that I know how to use my phone and tablet and the problem is in fact on their end not mine.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

It depends on what tech you talk to as to what the requirements are for this program.  I had a tech set me up with the outdoors designation, he said I had all the prerequisites for being able to use the app.  Yet, it does not work.

First, as usual with DISH, either they don't have clear guidelines or they don't educate their employees on those guidelines.

Second, there are obvious glitches in the new software which allow some to use it and others to not.

Third, it would be easier to change my locals using an app, but until I can I'm perfectly happy going forward with using the chat feature to do so.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived