DISH comes through for RV'ers!

I just received an email from Dish that will make changing locals while traveling even easier than using the chat system:

You asked. We listened. Update your local channels now with the MyDISH App!"

Whether you’re traveling, tailgating, or RVing, as a DISH Outdoors customer, you can now update your local channels by visiting the DISH Outdoors page in the MyDISH App. Follow the instructions below to enjoy an even better experience!

Download the MyDISH app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
    Enter/Create your Online ID to log in to the app
    Open the Services tab
    Select Local Channels in the DISH Outdoors section
    Click the Manage Locals button
    Follow the step by step instructions on the screen

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

18 hours ago, Zulu said:

It is. See The Other Thread.

And according to the other thread, you must have the Dish Outdoor account, NOT a home account.  Great for fulltimers, but not those of us who have a sticks & bricks and travel several months of the year.

Apparently, if you have a home account and want to be able to change locals via the app, the receiver you use in the RV must be on a separate account.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

From what I'm seeing on here and other forums, if you didn't get the emailed announcement, then you likely don't have access to the locals change feature yet. Also, the feature is not available  via the online web MyDish version. I'm working around that with a PC based Android emulator so I can use the full size keyboard on my laptop instead of fat fingering the small phone keyboard.

Dutch

I wonder if I can change my account from a home account to an outdoors account.  When we travel we just take the receiver from the house and throw it in the RV.  We may be able to reverse the procedure.  After all I don't tell Dish when we move from the house to the RV, or back into the house.

When we change locals I do specify in the chat session that we are in an RV.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

A call to Dish might sort that out, Al. Or not, depending how lucky you are in getting a knowledgeable CSR. A chat session might be more productive... 

Dutch

We have a regular Dish account at the house, with a Hopper 2 and in the 5th wheel a Trav'ler and another Hopper 2.

Last year we bought the new little OTA adapter from Amazon I think. It works great so when we travel we leave our locals set the same at the house. If we are to far from home to get our regular locals we use the OTA antenna, it works fine.

We have seriously considered dropping the locals at the house since Dish now charges us $12.00 a month for them. The Hopper 2 for some reason takes a while to process an OTA recording so we can watch it.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

We've been too many places where the OTA locals were not a good reception option, so changing sat locals works well for us. Sometimes we don't bother to change them as often when we're still within the last locals spot beam after a move or on CONUS beamed locals and the OTA locals are adequate for local news and weather. The CONUS beamed locals, such as Jacksonville, FL, came in quite handy when we were making a number of one night stops in a row and didn't set up our portable dish. We were streaming programming from the Hopper at our upstate NY cottage, and that receiver was also getting the Jacksonville, FL eastern arc locals on the 77 sat.

Dutch

Ditto on being out of range of OTA signal.  We boondock/dry camp out west a lot.  Lots of places with an OTA signal. 

With Dish Local channels we have gone for months, with moves to 15 to 20 locations w/o changing local channels. 

For example the Portland Oregon locals go NW to the end of the Olympic peninsula, NE to almost Spokane, WA, to the far SE corner of Oregon and about 90-100 miles into northern CA.   You can travel over almost all of the Great Pacific NW and never need to change local channels.  

Denver covers almost the entire state of CO.

ABQ covers almost all of NM. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I tried for a couple of weeks to get relocating local channels to come up on the my Dish app. I got a hold of dish outdoors via chat.

The technician checked everything out and found that at the present time (Saturday May 19th) that portion of the app is not presently available. He didn't have any information on when it would be available other than sometime in the near future.

It would be better if Dish would not publicize it as being available until it actually is.

19 hours ago, richardbetsey said:

I tried for a couple of weeks to get relocating local channels to come up on the my Dish app. I got a hold of dish outdoors via chat.

The technician checked everything out and found that at the present time (Saturday May 19th) that portion of the app is not presently available. He didn't have any information on when it would be available other than sometime in the near future.

It would be better if Dish would not publicize it as being available until it actually is.

I have the app and the locals change feature is working here. There are specific requirements for what type of account and which equipment you have before it shows up though. The problem appears to be that exactly what those requirements are and who knows about them at Dish seems to be a moving target.

Dutch

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

Yeah that is Red Zone which shows the scoring plays from all the games. Sunday Ticket allows you to watch out of market games as if you were in that city. Fortunately there are Browns Backers Clubs in just abut every major city in the USA so I will be able to go to a bar and watch them. UNfortunately that also means I have to put my RV somewhere within reasonable driving distance from one of those watch locations, but you can't have it every way, right? I'll drive an hour each way to see my home team's games.

Now this is funny.... Calling them doesn't seem to work for some folks, chatting doesn't work apparently BUT an App is where its at? OMG

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Archived