Wilson 4g LTE

I have a Wilson 4g LTE booster and where I'm parked it does no good.  Actually even hurts the small signal I get.  Talked to Wilson and they had me do some tests and then sent me a new unit.  (Great Customer Service).  New unit does the same as old one.  
Anyway my question is does anyone know if I buy the outdoor directional antenna would it help to pull in a better signal.  I'm thinking it should, but would like to know if anyone has had this problem with the Wilson not helping at all then would help after using the directional antenna.  
Thanks

Dennis

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Hey Dennis - The quest for stronger, well faster Download/Upload speeds, can be a frustrating exercise:)! 

As a general answer, yes a directional antenna can pull in weak signal better then most omni antennas. 

But let me ask you to share the specific Willson Amp kit you have now, as they make many different models:)!

And recognize that a Cellular Amp will not only amplify a weaker signal, but can also amplify the 'noise' of that signal too. Using an APP that measures different areas of the all up signal, can be invaluable in evaluating what an Cellular Amp is doing. (SNR, DB, etc.). These APP's are much more sophisticated then just looking at say the number of signal strength bars on a phone of MIFI.

And just like having a tool box, where you have multiple types of tools to cover different situations. The 'art' of pulling in a useable signal, and improving Download/Upload speeds, can require multiple tools. 

For example, we the Maximum Signal Cellular AMP, an older WeBoost Sleek, an a MIMO Rooftop Magnetic Mobile Mark Antenna, and many more signal enhancing 'tools' in our tool box:)!

The majority of the time I now use one of two MIFI's for our data. (ATT I use Unite Explore 815S. When in Canada I use a T-Mobile fed ZTE Falcon 917.) But I also have a Grand Fathered Unlimited Data plan on Verizon, via my Samsung S6 phone in Hotspot mode. And rounding things out, we have a ATT Mobley too.

Our number one performer this last 18 months, has been the combo of the Rooftop Mobile Mark MIMO antenna, feeding directly into the ATT Unite Explore. When in an area that Verizon has the superior coverage, I'll use the Samsun S6 in Hotspot mode without Cellular AMP first, and see how it does. If not pleased with the Download speeds (I care more about Download then Uploads, and I'm not uploading much date since I retired.), I'll try the Maximum Signal Amp. If my Signal Pro APP reflects too high of SNR, and the Download speeds are still not where I want them - I'll turn of the Maximum Signal Amp, and try the less strong amp in the WeBoost/Wilson Sleek, placing the phone in the cradle (With insulation, as this generation of Sleek could be used to toast bread!). And test via Speednet again. 

Depending upon where we are in relation to cell towers, it could be any one of these three that seem to provide the best signal. Just by the luck of the draw location wise the last 19 months or so, 90% of the time we find the ATT with Unite Explore and Mobile Mark MIMO antenna, or, the Verizon S6 without amp - has provided us the best speeds. The last 10%, has been a mix between the Maximum Signal AMP, which has pulled in some very faint signals and amplified them in a clean way (They amplify in a way that does not distort SNR as much as most other Cellular Amps.). Could not stream, but went from 'no bars' on the Samsung S6, to a useable data speed for surfing and checking emails. Or, sometimes the Sleek actually provided a more useable download speed for us when the cellular signal was a big stronger then the one where the Maximum Signal did it's magic. (And not intending to go techie here, as I'm a laymen. But the bulk of the time when I need cell amp help, the Maximum Signal is the one that does the trick for us. Can not tell you why upon occasion, the Sleek would yield a faster download speed, maybe three times in the last 18 months or so.)

I went thru all of this, because if having useable Download/Upload speeds is important to you while traveling, especially in fringe coverage areas, then having multiple tools available will be needed. 

And note, I do have a Directional Antenna too. Plan to mount it to a pole attached to our crank up roof top OTA TV Antenna. But have procrastinated in setting this up, and it is in the basement storage:)! 

If you share your actual equipment, you might get more specific feedback from your question. Some very sharp user's here on this forum:)!

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Thanks Smitty for a great response.  I have the Wilson weboost 4g-x.  Also I have seen people being able to see their upload and down speeds on their computer, but not sure how to do that.  Is that the app you are talking about and how do I get it on my computer.
To let you know I'm not all that good on a computer, so be easy on me.
Also I'm setting on a piece of property I bought and in the process of building a house so wont be moving around.
I have the Mobley and would like to get a better signal for it.
Thanks

Dennis

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

6 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Thanks Smitty for a great response.  I have the Wilson weboost 4g-x.  Also I have seen people being able to see their upload and down speeds on their computer, but not sure how to do that.  Is that the app you are talking about and how do I get it on my computer.
To let you know I'm not all that good on a computer, so be easy on me.
Also I'm setting on a piece of property I bought and in the process of building a house so wont be moving around.
I have the Mobley and would like to get a better signal for it.
Thanks

Dennis

I have the same amplifier and use it with the Mobley and my phones. Have noticed phones and mobley have to be within about 8 inches of the indoor antenna to make the max improvement. I am in a poor ATT area and signal improves from 113 db to 90 db. https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wilson-4g-truck-and-rv-spring-mount-antenna-304415/   I use this antenna mounted on the roof. 

If you have an android, Network Cell Info, will give you signal strength.

Speedtest for phone or computer will give you rough download speed.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Archived