Thousand Trails Camping Pass now unlimited?

technomadness

Hello-

I haven't hit the road yet, and as I'm doing research I came across thousand trails.  This company is confusing, and their marketing and website don't make it easier.  So, I have seen several videos about the camping pass saying you have a certain number of days in the pass of "free" camping (covered by the pass) then after that your additional nights cost a few bucks.  (This is just talking about TT campgrounds in the regular system.)

But i also heard this recently changed.  And I can't find anything in the membership agreement about this.  There are no limits on the number of nights in a year and no mention of additional fees.  The only limits I find are the consecutive night limits and park to park rules, and of course general camping rules.

So, am I missing it somewhere or did this change?  Cause $500 for 100 nights a year of camping would probably be quite a good deal for me.  Shoot I could probably get 2 zones and do 150 nights a year.

But I'm wary of fronting that much cash and then not using it or finding out there are gotchas I hadn't considered.

FWIW, rig is a DIY class-B 

Are you confusing Zone Passes with  a number of other passes?  There are memberships that have no time out between parks, unlimited, etc., but they cost ALOT.    As far as I know there are has no chance in zone passes.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Are you confusing Zone Passes with  a number of other passes?  There are memberships that have no time out between parks, unlimited, etc., but they cost ALOT.    As far as I know there are has no chance in zone passes.

Nope, I'm specifically talking about the zone pass.  If you go to the website right now, there is no mention of fees for extra days or limits on the number of days covered by the zone pass, that I can see.

Calling it an "Annual camping pass" and no mention of limitations of number of nights seems to make it clear.

I checked the "more information" page, the member agreement, the terms agreement, etc.  Only thing I found was restrictions on how many days sequential and park to park rules, and general camping rules. 

Now I heard this was a very recent change (like in the past couple of weeks.)  And I went to the site to make sure I hadn't misunderstood, and that's how I ended up reading every contract/agreement/terms that I could find short of actually buying.

Your suspicious that I'm confused for the same reason I'm asking the question-- this seems to be a significant change.  But if it isn't  change then their website seems pretty deceptive at this point.  

But if someone can find the terms that lays out the fees for extra days and how many days you get with a zone pass, please feel free to link.

Just reading your post makes me wonder if the "extra fees" are not spelled out because once you stay the # of days allowed under your pass, any extra charge would be a charge from the particular campground you are in , and fees vary.  Every campground would still have it's own rates and rules.

Pat DeJong

10 minutes ago, LFDR3116 said:

Just reading your post makes me wonder if the "extra fees" are not spelled out because once you stay the # of days allowed under your pass, any extra charge would be a charge from the particular campground you are in , and fees vary.  Every campground would still have it's own rates and rules.

Maybe but there's no mention of "a number of days allowed" under a pass.  It's just described as an "annual camping pass".

21 hours ago, technomadness said:

But I'm wary of fronting that much cash and then not using it or finding out there are gotchas I hadn't considered.

I am not an expert on Thousand Trails but I did want to say, welcome to the forums!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 4/15/2018 at 3:23 PM, technomadness said:

Maybe but there's no mention of "a number of days allowed" under a pass.  It's just described as an "annual camping pass".

I just went through their website and there is no mention of a limit of free days anymore. You used to be limited to 30 or 50 days and if you stayed in a campground for 4 or more days you had to wait a week before you could go into another one. I'm sure if you talk to a rep they can explain it to you but I've dealt with these crooks (my opinion) and what they say, their website, and what's in writing is 3 different things.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

I don't think there is a total nights per year limit.  This from the FAQ I found here: https://campingpass.thousandtrails.com/faq

Q: How long can I stay at a resort?
A: While there is no limit to the total number of nights that you may use your Thousand Trails Camping Pass each year, we do set a maximum of 14 consecutive days for any particular stay at one of our resorts. Additionally, if your stay exceeds four consecutive nights, you must wait for seven nights before you stay again at any resort.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We use our 2-zone TT Pass 50 nights or more each summer season (April - September); and our ROD/C2C/AOR memberships for another 50 nights.    But then there are a LOT of TT parks in the west, so it makes sense for us.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks for posting that link BnB.  We had been curious about TT a couple times in the past.  However, after staying at their CG in Clermont FL recently we had discounted checking into it further.  

We are currently in a CG with a $300 rate.  Our pull thru site is around 120' long with a 14'x50' concrete slab in the middle.  The sites here are 3X as far apart as Clermont was.  Another CG we will spent a couple months in further north this summer is $330 a month and on a river.  So by mixing in some CG's that you can average $10 to $11 a day in fees, plus doing a little dry camping, we feel $20 or more to TT would be a rip off based on what their parks are like.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 1 month later...

great discussion, but yes from April so a while ago.  Am thinking of creating a spreadsheet of TT/TC parks that lists nearby distance to normal resources.  Like nearest gas station.  Nearest walmart.  Nearest theater.  nearest brewery (cause that's a must, LOL).

They just put in a new Wal--Mart in Warrenton OR across the street from Costco, which would make the Seaside OR TT and the Long Beach WA TT much closer to a Wal-Mart than before.  Glad you did not mention Sam''s Club, since they closed 63 of them in January, including all of them in Washington and Alaska and the one in Casa Grande AZ, close to an Escapees park.   

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

They just put in a new Wal--Mart in Warrenton OR across the street from Costco, which would make the Seaside OR TT and the Long Beach WA TT much closer to a Wal-Mart than before.  Glad you did not mention Sam''s Club, since they closed 63 of them in January, including all of them in Washington and Alaska and the one in Casa Grande AZ, close to an Escapees park.   

I just joined a COSTCO given the cheap gasoline, so that may be another column in the reference spreadsheet.  If I get to creating it soon.

We started with a two for one zone pass promotion several years ago, then bought, from a private party, a very inexpensive, ($300+transfer fee) membership.  It only gives us 14 days in and 7 out  but nationwide.  It works for us, because we rarely spend more than 14 days in any one place, plus we don't feel we have to chase down TT parks to stay in.  We boondock a fair amount, (I added 500w of solar) and we especially like COE parks. Currently at Tall Chief TT resort in Fall City, WA. not a bad park, and 30 miles from our granddaughter in Seattle.  We spent two weeks at Crescent Bar, near Wenatchee, visiting a daughter, nice TT park.  I would give the TT parks in Texas mixed reviews, Lake Medina being my favorite, but it's not for everyone. Liked most of the TT parks in Virginia, but some a little run down.  Our biggest issue with TT parks has been electrical, especially from Texas to the East coast.  If you plan on running your A/C in the older TT parks I would monitor the voltage drop very carefully.  

On 4/17/2018 at 11:45 PM, Barbaraok said:

We use our 2-zone TT Pass 50 nights or more each summer season (April - September); and our ROD/C2C/AOR memberships for another 50 nights.    But then there are a LOT of TT parks in the west, so it makes sense for us.   

what is ROD/C2C/AOR ?  am too new to realize the acronyms. 

19 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Offroad,  I did a page on our blog about membership parks that might be of help to you:

http://www.barbanddave.net/thoughts-on-rving/membership-parks.html

thanks on that good information.  Looks like it is very applicable out west with folks having CLASS A and super size FIFTH WHEELS that need to find a bargain nights stay.  Am still trying to process all this information on parks and costs.  Was almost ready for an ELITE membership in TT, but then I see many doing fine with a ZONE pass and the $3 a night after the 30 days.   

My biggest issue is that I am competing with the SNOW BIRD heard in the east; and am concerned about availability with the 90 day reservation window for TT parks.  Kind of wondering if I can beat the herd to Florida with a 120 Day window and a TT-TC agreement.  Its just that TC gets you back into a two week limit, like the ZONE PASS does.

22 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Offroad,  I did a page on our blog about membership parks that might be of help to you:

http://www.barbanddave.net/thoughts-on-rving/membership-parks.html

I started looking at the prices to compare.  came up with four key questions.

1)  What is the joining fee to start a membership (cant find that yet for AOR or ROD)?

2)  What is the yearly membership fee to stay a member?

3)  What is the per night cost (or per month cost) after the first period of free nights?

4)  What affiliate park systems are available, and what is that cost? 

It looks like almost every park does the 14 days in 7 days out rule, if you are a frequent user.  Its rare (not impossible) to get a different arrangement, but it costs bucks for the first time to join fee, if you want that perk.

2 hours ago, offroad said:

I started looking at the prices to compare.  came up with four key questions.

1)  What is the joining fee to start a membership (cant find that yet for AOR or ROD)?

2)  What is the yearly membership fee to stay a member?

3)  What is the per night cost (or per month cost) after the first period of free nights?

4)  What affiliate park systems are available, and what is that cost? 

It looks like almost every park does the 14 days in 7 days out rule, if you are a frequent user.  Its rare (not impossible) to get a different arrangement, but it costs bucks for the first time to join fee, if you want that perk.

AOR/ROD/C2C/RPI are all affiliated park membership..   Most times the "cost" to join is in your initial purchase of your HOME park membership.  Once you have your home park, then they will submit you as a new member and you will pay your annual dues directly to which ever group you have.   C2C is $100 yr (less if you pay for multiple years - pay 3, 4th is free).   ROD/AOR was a package when purchased our initial home park system  and is $189/yr.     Only TT has a number of free nights with its dues (actually they have you prepay those nights).  C2C is always $10/night, AOR is $9/night,  ROD is $0/night.

We have never had a problem with the 14 day limit - - but that is why we have multiple memberships.  When you can't get in under one, you probably can under a different program.  We are spending the whole summer in the PNW - between TT and the different other memberships (mostly ROD)  it will probably be $300 or less for the whole summer for us.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived