Thinking about anti freeze

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning everyone,

I was getting ready to move the other day and while doing my fluid checks I said to myself, self, (that's what I call me when talking to my self), I wonder if anti freeze wears out and needs to be replaced? So my question is this. I had the cooling system flushed and refilled with Delco ELC 50/50 (it is red) in Oct 2011 and nothing has been added since. What kind of maintenance should I be doing to the cooling system? 

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

SCA test and can put additive in if needed. No need to dump the fluid too often. Also there’s a filter in the system. 

Have read to keep same type coolant as original Green or red. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

3 hours ago, billr said:

Have read to keep same type coolant as original Green or red.

Oh the colors......  Just today, grandson and I were servicing his mom's car.  While the hood was up, I "helped" him check some things.  The coolant level was low, not even showing in the overflow tank.  I had him check the owner's manual, and it sez to use "Motorcraft" orange anti-freeze.  So, I had him google it. 

I had red, purple, green, and yellow in stock, but no orange.  Fortunately, I have a jug of Dex-cool at the house for the vette, so we'll top off with that.  Yes, it's the same.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Oh the colors......  Just today, grandson and I were servicing his mom's car.  While the hood was up, I "helped" him check some things.  The coolant level was low, not even showing in the overflow tank.  I had him check the owner's manual, and it sez to use "Motorcraft" orange anti-freeze.  So, I had him google it. 

I had red, purple, green, and yellow in stock, but no orange.  Fortunately, I have a jug of Dex-cool at the house for the vette, so we'll top off with that.  Yes, it's the same.

LOL 😂 

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

The absolute worst thing you can do is choose coolant by color.

There is a major article in the Resource Guide about coolant, Diesel Coolant, http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/131

But since you mentioned Red, which is probably Extended Life oolant, SCA is not a measure for ELC coolant.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I was told by the service manager at Mack that you can interchange all the colors EXCEPT GREEN. This information came straight from their supplier. Red, orange, pink, yellow,whatever are all interchangeable. Green has to stay green.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Mark is right. Very misunderstood how important the correct coolant and the balance of additives is to a diesel engine with removable liners. Indeed important to any engine these days. I have religiously used Powercool, the Detroit Diesel brand antifreeze available only at Detroit Diesel in my series 60 since new and never a moments problem.

If you are not sure what is in there, consider flushing the system according to manufacturers recommendations and put exactly what they recommend. Put a huge waterproof tag next to the filler warning anyone that their hands will be removed if they don't check with you first. For that reason I NEVER let Speedco or any other service facility touch the fluids.

Brad has already done the right thing. Test the antifreeze with a test strip which will tell you the condition of the additive package and the protection level. If those are good, no need to change anything. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have read everything that was posted and I'm slightly confused. I have ELC anti freeze that is over 6 years old. I have driven about 70,000 miles since it was flushed and filled. Should I be adding a can for extender or how do I know when it is shot and needs to be completely replaced.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

I have read everything that was posted and I'm slightly confused. I have ELC anti freeze that is over 6 years old. I have driven about 70,000 miles since it was flushed and filled. Should I be adding a can for extender or how do I know when it is shot and needs to be completely replaced.

Brad 

The additives deplete over time, and faster when the engine is at operating temperature. The only way to know is with the proper test strip for the coolant you are using. This is especially true in aplications like most of us have with irregular use.

Something like a genset that runs almost 24/7 you could probably predict pretty close, but not with irregular use.  You also don't want to add more additive than you need as it can precipitate out and foul your cooling system.

I thought that test strips were not used with extended life coolant. Are these strips available at auto parts stores?

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Usually the test strips are available at engine dealers Detroit Diesel- Cummins - Cat. Your Volvo dealer should have some, or can order them. I have asked and have been amazed at the blank stare I get sometimes. And the strips have an expiration date on them, make sure they are still good. Regular auto parts dealers won't know what you are talking about.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Sorry if I misled anyone on the Color remark. I was meaning to say stick with what the Manufacturer spec was. My old truck was the standard Green Glycol. Test every year for SCA. Only once needed the additive. 

Archived