Storms/Tornados

15 hours ago, Solo18 said:

I put my slides in quickly and then buckled myself into the driver's seat with my go-bag, cell phone, and purse on my lap. 

Good thinking!

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

next time get into a suitable shelter - concrete block, preferably such as restrooms or a park office.

She said it turned suddenly so there was no time to take shelter.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have spent several storms in shelters, but even though I was watching this one on radar, it was fast and moved from the far opposite side of the lake (north side) heading east, to cutting across to the south side of the lake blowing to the southeast.  (One advantage of a Class C is that nice, automotive-built cab.)  Shelter was maybe 800 feet away, also.  There were no sirens or rangers coming by or anything, as there had been other times storms were predicted.

Next time, I will put my slides in earlier, just in case. 

Tornados are not the only thing to fear! Last year my wife and i were traveling with another couple when we got stuck in an rv park in Liberal KS with a broken moride suspention. The winds were gusting 30-40 mph.  We parked the trucks to block the wind and were enjoying the shelter and warmth when we heard sirens on the highway but soon that siren was IN the park!  The trooper told us that we should prepair to evacuate because a wild fire was heading our way FAST!  As we gathered important things we kept an eye on a windmill pumping water for a pond.  To our relief the vane on the windmill began to change direction and soon turned 90 degrees and stayed there.  The change in direction of the wind pushed the fire around the park and saved the day for us.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

A couple of years ago I was heading southwest towards Tucumcari, NM after spending some time in Hutchinson, KS.  There are two US routes that go that way, US 54 and US 50/56 about 20 miles further north.  I chose to take the more southern route, US 54.

Ariound mid-day I could see a solid line of black storm clouds forming along the entire length of the horizon to the north.  The weather where I was was fine with a slight wind coming from the south, but radio stations in Dodge City (about 20 miles to the north along US 50/56) were broadcasting storm and tornado warnings and reporting actual touchdowns in their area.

I was on a long, flat barren stretch of US 54 while this was happening, and it looked like the highway ahead would just skirt the southern edge of the storm line.  There was nowhere to stop along the two lane prairie highway, but midway between Plains and Liberal, KS there was a rest area along the Cimarron River and as I approached I saw all of the large trucks on the road were pulling into it.

I decided to do the same, and took up a position between a couple of loaded trailers.

A few minutes later, the winds started howling and rain came down in buckets.  The rest area was partially protected to the north by an elevated railroad berm before the tracks crossed the river, but in spite of being in between the two large trucks my motorhome was buffeted back and forth. This lasted 20 minutes or so before dissipating.  If I had remained on the road, I'm sure I would have been blown into a ditch or worse.

Then, as quickly as it started the storm passed.  The trucks went back on the road, I waited another 20 minutes and then ventured out and resumed my trip westward without incident.

3 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

A couple of years ago I was heading southwest towards Tucumcari, NM after spending some time in Hutchinson, KS.  There are two US routes that go that way, US 54 and US 50/56 about 20 miles further north.  I chose to take the more southern route, US 54. there was a rest area along the Cimarron River and as I approached I saw all of the large trucks on the road were pulling into it.

I decided to do the same, and took up a position between a couple of loaded trailers.

When all the trucks are doing it we follow. For instance, in big cities they know which freeway lane goes through; it's nice to not have to move back and forth in crowded conditions.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Still in the SW Alabama area (outside of Robertsdale).  Raining yesterday but no warnings had been issued, just a regular rain all day.  We hadn't really put stuff away or gotten rain gear out.  

A little after 3pm our weather radio and I-phones all gave an alert.....tornado warning.  Rotation had been indicated around Foley, which was southwest of us, moving northeast of course.   Off to the block building we went.  Sat around, all alone, for about 25 minutes until everything passed then went back to our site.  The system missed us by about 10 miles.  No one else in the CG came to the building.

On the news later they showed an RV park about 20 miles from us that got trashed.  Several fivers were turned over and 3 folks sent to the hospital.   Spring has sprung!!!!!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

FL-JOE - At least the tornado didn't hit Lambert's Cafe, which is close to the RV park.  LOL (Just trying to add some humor to a bad situation)

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'm pretty sure it didn't hit Lambert's.  But tonight on the news they were showing what other businesses and places it hit.  The Lowes down by Foley got hit and is temporarily closed.  That little twister certainly did some damage in this county.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We had a tragedy from the storms a couple of weeks ago when the 5th wheel a family lived in was hit by a tree, that was knocked over by a tornado, and killed their 20 month old child. Then it went on, heading straight for us we saw later from the damage trail, and took out several roofs and homes with no further fatalities couple of miles away. It disappeared between those houses and us thank goodness. Here is a link to the news report and close up pictures and video of the 5th wheel damage:

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/local-news/update-deputies-identify-toddler-killed-during-overnight-storms-/1121390265

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Sad thing to happen.  I feel sorry for that family.  We lived in a trailer house for a short time, always scared the poop out of us when a storm came through, those, and campers, are not safe when twisters come a calling.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Archived