Experience of selling by consignment in AZ, NV, SoCal and TX

Runroblarun

Hi guys, looking to sell my rv as a UK resident, so consignment is probably my best shot. RV will be in AZ but need to book my flight back soon and don't know where to consign. Was happy with PPL in Texas, but it's a 1000+ mile drive. Wondering what the merits of selling in AZ, maybe Vegas or heading to LA? Any good experiences with dealers/recommendations would be good. If it helps your reply, it's a 2004 Jamboree Class C with 124k on the engine, great condition and aiming for $17k...

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Well you missed the snowbird market but the summer vacation market is just starting. I think most of the snowbirds have left AZ so I would be inclined to try So Cal. You can catch a flight out of LAX or SAN. I don’t have any suggestions on who to contact but San Diego is La Mesa RVs HQ. You might give them a call first before driving there. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I've never sold thru a consignment lot but have numerous friends that have. Several things come to mind quickly. Use a consignment lot that does only consignment sales, not an RV dealer that sells new and used RVs. You will be second or third banana down the line.  Also check the hours that the lot has posted for being open. Be sure YOU hold the title , not the lot! If they don't want to work that way, run, don't walk away.

Good results and experience with PPL consignment in Houston.... sold ours within a month for the price WE put on it.  A couple from Florida flew in to buy it.  We were amazed at the amount of people there the one day we were there - buying, picking up and selling.  It's a well-known, very busy place.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If you are leaving the country you sure need to be sure it is the right one.  There is one in New Mexico called Kay's RV in Moriarity NM about 30 miles east of Albquerque.  She is not a large place but at least 2 people I know used her and seemed to be satisfied. I  have gone there with 2 people to help them look at consigned rvs or ones she has purchased for resale or taken in trade.  She seems to be upfront and honest but who know for sure.  I  haven't been to PPL but they seem to be pretty good and have good word of mouth but as you say they are a good ways away.  Good luck.  I hope you can sell even if it is a little less than you would like just so you won't have the hassle.

Thanks for the reassurance of PPL guys. As for Kays, I actually ran past there on my trip, but it won't be suitable for me here as I need to be by an airport... Looks like I'm narrowed down now to PPL, or any other suggestions from Vegas or Arizona. If anyone has any ideas there...

My only experience using PPL to sell was overall pretty good.  At delivery to the new owner, the fridge would not light on propane and one tail light was out.  I think PPL over charged for the repairs, 2 hours to diagnose and clean the burner in the fridge and 1 hour to change a tail light.  Just watch out on any repairs and get a firm cost of any repairs that they do.  

I usually do all my own minor repairs and that was about a 45 minute total time to find and fix.

The sold the trailer in 3 weeks at full retail price.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Google:

Beach Cities RV  - Consignment Orange County CA  -  (located in Midway City,   N. of Huntington Beach on Beach Blvd).

Have not bought (or sold) from/by them but a friend purchased a 5th wheel from them - and happy with the result. (See: "BTW" below)

So CA is *always* a hot bed for RVs of all types - due to "year-round" camping weather.

BTW - there may be more than one Consignment lot on Beach Blvd - in the city of Westminster (which adjoins Midway City). Not sure which dealer he purchased from.

• 2 weeks later...

Before commiting to selling on consignment contact your insurance company and make sure you have the proper coverage.

Some do not cover this in a basic policy.

Stick with a large established re-seller, I've read posts on irv2.com where the  company went bankrupt and the consigned RV was seized as part of the company assets, leaving the RV owner paying on the old RV and the new RV until the bankruptcy was settled. Another man bought a consigned MH, company went bankrupt and he could not get the title. Those posts were back 3-4 years ago best I remember.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I purchased my RV nine years ago at PPL in Houston and was very impressed with their operation.  I have stopped in twice since then to look at RV's and on both visits my opinion remained the same.  They have the selling of consigned RV's down to a science.  There is never any pressure to buy, but they are right there to assist with any questions.  When you decide on an RV they make the purchasing process quite easy.  My point is, that if the place has a good reputation among RV purchasers, that's the place you want to go to sell your RV.  They have a lot of people coming through there to look at and buy RV's. 

jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Archived