Rain Water Leak/floor rot

Steven.mennemeyer

We recently purchased a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36wgs.  The dealer we purchased it from resealed the ACs, antenas and vents on the roof.  After getting it home and taking the carpet up we discovered a couple of area of floor rotting and the wall paper at the floor in that area was bubbling up for about 3 inches above the floor level.  We have experienced a couple of hard rains since then ant the area of the rot is getting wet.  The other spot is at the corner of the slide.  it runs about 6" x 4" under the slide out...that is if the slide out is fully extended.  The area under the slide isn't wet.  I am guessing that the slide had not been sealed.  Doesn't seem to be leaking

Question is anyway to check for the leak(s). 

Any suggestion on how to repaid floor under slide out with out removing the slide?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 2:31 PM, Steven.mennemeyer said:

Question is anyway to check for the leak(s). 

Any suggestion on how to repaid floor under slide out with out removing the slide?

I had not responded because I don't have experience with slides but I do have some background in working with and repairing RVs so I'll jump in and try to help. It is very important to first locate the source of the leaks and stop that or the damage will just continue. It can be very difficult to locate the source of a leak because the water tends to follow a path and often shows up far from the point where it entered. Repairing leaks can be a bit of a guessing game and most of us start by replacing all of the caulking material which isn't new. Pay particular attention to any area that is above the damaged areas. Some RV shops have large blowers that are used to pressurize the interior of the RV while wetting the suspect areas with soapy water to look for bubbles but that is very difficult for an amateur to perform. 

Once you are sure that you have the leak(s) resolved, the damage can be cut out and replaced but be very sure that you get all of the rotted wood out as dry rot will spread and continue to happen even without any leaks if not removed. 

I hope that some of this has been helpful. Do not hesitate to ask more questions or to list more details in hope of our being able to suggest more. We are pleased that you have joined us and do hope that you will become one of our regulars. We are here to help and will do our best.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived