Inverter blown

Redwine

40+ years of hooking up batteries to everything from toys to airplanes and I finally did it. Connected it backwards and blew the inverter. We are new to rving and looking for suggestions. 

Rig: Forest River Sierra fifth wheel.

residential refrigerator 

blown inverter: WFCO 1000w Pure Sine Wave  WF-5110HP

Looking for replacement suggestions and whether it would be better to have someone else install it or if it is an easy install.

Thank you

Friend of mine did the same thing.  He gave it to me to check out.  I opened it up and found it had 6 ATC automotive fuses and all 6 were blown.  Replaced them and it worked fine.  Cant remember the brand, maybe something like Victron.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Wow... haven't seen one of "them" in awhile. You likely just blew the fuse which should be accessible from the front of your inverter over there on the lower right hand side. Here's likely what you'll need (600V 15A midget time delay). Some versions "may" have a blade type 15A. If that doesn't get you running then you might have to open the cover. There is also an 8.5 amp fuse inside for the transfer switch.

Inverters really are simple little beasts to install. In your situation, I would spring the 5 bucks for a new fuse to hold you over and give you some time to do a little shopping around before doing a "rush" replacement. See what your options are or what kind of capacity upgrade, if any, you might like to make.

My inverter went out a few months ago. Had a loose wire and it shorted out the inverter. It was a Surge Guard brand. I replaced it with a Surge Guard Combo Inverter EMS system that also checked the electrical for high and low voltage, negative ground and reverse polarity. Now I don’t have to plug in a Surge Guard at the pedestal anymore. I am not sure if Progressive makes a combo unit. The new Surge Guards also have a lifetime warranty. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 3 weeks later...

Archived