Dish TV question

5 hours ago, docj said:

The Tailgater has a single dish which automatically repositions to point at whichever satellite is transmitting the particular channel that the receiver is calling for.

Hey there Doc, Yep the larger home style antennas are likewise a single (BUT LARGER) dish but there are three slightly different located LNB's to best receive each of the three sats 110, 119, 129. As I understand it the home antenna obviously remains stationary yet it still receives all 3 sats due to the 3 positioned LNB's, which is different as you described for the domes.

John T    

John:

The larger "home" dishes are elliptical whereas the dish in a Tailgater or other dome device is spherical.  It's not the size but the shape that matters.  The LNB's attached to an elliptical dish are precisely positioned so the signal coming from the corresponding satellite comes to a focus at the LNB.  That's not something you can do with a spherical dish.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks for the good info Docj, wondered why my Directv Trav'ler could get the HD satellite and a round dish could not, knew the round dish did not have 3 lnb's but now know why it didn't. I guess size does not matter in this case.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

7 hours ago, docj said:

Presumably, you realize that this is, from a practical perspective, impossible to implement.  The Tailgater has a single dish which automatically repositions to point at whichever satellite is transmitting the particular channel that the receiver is calling for. While pointing at a satellite, the only other channels it could receive would be those coming from the same satellite.  Therefore, a multi-tuner receiver would be very limited in what it could do with its second tuner.  If your comment was intended as a joke, then ignore this post! B)

Consider it ignored, Joel... :D 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Dutch, Sorry, but I have no answer to your question regarding what King manufactures ????

My Dome is a Taligater II, I use a Wally Receiver, I receive channels off all three satellites, and its working great !! With my bigger 1000.2 antenna I also get all three satellites but, as we know of course, it takes time and effort to set it up. I'm glad to have both options as it's not all that expensive to purchase the equipment, I OWN all my own equipment (antennas and receivers) leasing nothing from Dish. 

Again I enjoyed our fun chat hope were not boring others to tears lol

PS I enjoyed your pic. It reminds me of just last week when we were looking at our smart phones to get a shot when we were parked in the trees, we finally found a hole  WHEW we got the race and Fox News, what else does a guy need lol 

John T

My equipment is all owned as well, although that does not save any money in fees. The difference is that the elliptical dishes and multi-LNB's (1000.2/1000.4) are capable of feeding multiple tuners with multiple programming from multiple satellites at the same time to the Hopper series receivers. With the current Hopper 3 for instance, you can watch/record up to 16 programs at once (plus 2 OTA channels) if desired. The only automatic dishes that can support that are the $1500+ Trav'ler type dishes that are also western arc limited like most of the domes. The much cheaper tripod mount works just fine for me... And my wallet. ;)

Dutch

They don't... Just like the Dish dome antennas, they can only get one satellite at a time with a single LNB. And even then not all of them, since DTV uses a different format for their HD satellite reception that requires a different LNB (KA) than the SD sats (KU). That's why all of the DTV automatic domes are SD only, since they only have a KU LNB.

Dutch

21 minutes ago, jcussen said:

Now if I can just figure out how the new Directv dishes can get 3 satellites with what appears to be only one LNB.

It's not one LNB. If you look real closely you'll see that it is a combination unit.  The satellites are so close to each other that the distance between the LNB's is tiny

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

48 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

They don't... Just like the Dish dome antennas, they can only get one satellite at a time with a single LNB. And even then not all of them, since DTV uses a different format for their HD satellite reception that requires a different LNB (KA) than the SD sats (KU). That's why all of the DTV automatic domes are SD only, since they only have a KU LNB.

Was talking about the  HD Directv Travel'ler and my at home dish.  Think Docj got it, looks like one LNB, but is actually 3.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

8 minutes ago, docj said:

It's not one LNB. If you look real closely you'll see that it is a combination unit.  The satellites are so close to each other that the distance between the LNB's is tiny

Ah, in that case, he must have a Slimline dish I assume, with a 3 LNB single housing KU/KA LNB set.

m1OI8MdojgtgjmS3NsfgvRA.jpg

Dutch

1 minute ago, jcussen said:

Was talking about the  HD Directv Travel'ler and my at home dish.  Think Docj got it, looks like one LNB, put is actually 3.

Yep, got it. I was thinking of the automatic domes for DTV.

Dutch

13 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The difference is that the elliptical dishes and multi-LNB's (1000.2/1000.4) are capable of feeding multiple tuners with multiple programming from multiple satellites at the same time to the Hopper series receivers

Dutch, that's the same as I understand it also. With my 1000.2 three LNB dish and multi tuner receiver I can record one show while watching another which IS NOT possible using the Dome and Wally receiver. The home style Dish and multi tuners in an RV certainly has advantages and disadvantages. My tripod and home style dish I carried in the RV was cheap as dirt, I bought it new on E Bay and I love my dome when were moving from place to place so often, I wouldn't be without owning BOTH giving me more options and choices IE the best of BOTH worlds and very affordable. As a 47 consecutive year RV owner I remember NO TV when camping,,,,,,,,,Then I remember packing the big home style Dish antenna,,,,,,,,,,,,,Then I remember when the "Domes" first came out, Ahhhhhhhhhhhh aint technology grand !!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, docj said:

Thanks Doc

John T

My old Kingdome 9702LP from 2006 still works with all the Dish Satellites.  I get high def signal from 110, 119 and 129.  But it was designed to only point at one Satellite at a time.  So if they made a change, it didn't effect 12 year old domes.   -Bill

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, docj said:

John:

The larger "home" dishes are elliptical whereas the dish in a Tailgater or other dome device is spherical.  It's not the size but the shape that matters.

Thanks Doc, FWIW that confirms my understanding of how the much larger/wider elliptical (wider portion east to west) home dish's with their three LNB's can receive all three satellites (yet never move) which are spread primarily east and west across the sky, and as you move from 110 to 119 to 129 they also appear lower in the sky. Its the greater WIDTH afforded by that elliptical shape, not so much size (its width NOT height that's needed) which allows that is my understanding,  BUT NO WARRANTY LOL that may be incorrect ?????  I'm NOT any Dish expert ..........

I still like having BOTH antennas as each has advantages as well as disadvantages. If DISH somehow makes my Tailgater II obsolete I will just cross that bridge when I come to it,  but so far so good.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

John T

Archived