Dish TV question

The folks parked next to us are having trouble with their new to them 2012 motorhome.  When he couldn't get the Dish to work he called Winegard and was told that Dish changed their protocol and his Dish antenna will no longer receive the new signal and he must replace it.  Have any of you heard of such a thing?  It would seem to me if his 5 year old antenna won't work so should all the others out there and I have never heard a word about this. Advice would be appreciated.  

Does the antenna dome say "Dish" on it? It is possible the dome is a DirecTv model and therefore would not work with Dish. A specific model (yes, I know it might require getting on the roof) would be needed to be able to give a definitive answer. I too question what Wineguard may have said without knowing the model. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Dish did make a western arc protocol change a few years back that affected some automatic domes ability to lock on the correct satellites. Some could be reprogrammed to work with the new protocol, but others could not. I thought the "bad" ones were older than 2012, but I could be wrong about that. The dome manufacturer should be able to clear that up when given the model number.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

This happened to me a couple years ago as my dome would just grind away searching and searching when I went to reactivate in the spring. When I called King Controls they asked for my serial number. When he looked it up, he said that my dish would no longer work due to the changes Dish had made. I could either swap out a board for $500 or replace the dome. I chose to replace the dome and I'm very happy with the upgrade in performance. The new dish is much faster and more reliable. Granted, I was REALLY annoyed at the time.. YMMV, Jay

9 hours ago, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

He isn't sure what brand is on the roof,

The place that I would start is to find out who the manufacturer of the dome is and contact them. He will need to also get the model of the system he has for them to be of much help. Anything else is just guessing on our part. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just as a general observation when using any sort of a so called "dome" antenna on an RV, they ARE NOT as strong as the regular much larger Dish home antennas WELL DUH. To get all three of the satellites Dish is currently using (110, 119, 129)  with a "dome" antenna you need a good clear fully open shot to the Southwest where I'm at. I'm running a Dish Tailgater II Dome with a Wally Receiver and at my last location and a few others I was able to receive 119 and 129 but NOT 110. However with a clear open shot I get all three. When I looked up the Sats and configurations Dish is using I wasn't surprised to see they change things around now n then, so its understandable an antenna may become outdated, but like you I hadn't heard of what you mentioned ??

John T  Live from Southern Kentucky heading to Indiana

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

Just as a general observation when using any sort of a so called "dome" antenna on an RV, they ARE NOT as strong as the regular much larger Dish home antennas WELL DUH. To get all three of the satellites Dish is currently using (110, 119, 129)  with a "dome" antenna you need a good clear fully open shot to the Southwest where I'm at. I'm running a Dish Tailgater II Dome with a Wally Receiver and at my last location and a few others I was able to receive 119 and 129 but NOT 110. However with a clear open shot I get all three. When I looked up the Sats and configurations Dish is using I wasn't surprised to see they change things around now n then, so its understandable an antenna may become outdated, but like you I hadn't heard of what you mentioned ??

John T  Live from Southern Kentucky heading to Indiana

The satellite signal transmitted is exactly the same strength whether you are using a dome or a "home" antenna.  The dish does not transmit a signal.  However, the dome type dishes are smaller so do not have the surface area to capture that signal as well as a larger dish.

With regard to an "open shot" to the satellite, that's true of any satellite antenna.  Even the larger home type antennas need a clear view of the satellite in order to capture it's signal.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Hi, we recently bought a used class A motorhome that came with a Winegard Road Trip SD antenna for Dish. The date on the manual is 2006.  I also have a Winegard  Carryout G2.  Here is my problem I set up the receiver for the Carryout G2, using the SW64  switch.  When I have to use the the Carryout ,because of trees, It works fine but the road trip will keep searching even though it locks on a single, sometimes it just starts searching again.  Sometimes I can get the local channel's but not the higher numbered ones, and sometimes it’s the opposite.  If I am standing right at the switch and am fast enough I can turn the switch off when I get a single.  Very frustrating.  Is the Road Trip not recognizing satellite 129?  The set-up for the Road Trips is different in that SW42 is the switch and satellite 129 is not mentioned.  Can you help? 

The RoadTrip SD is no longer compatible for DISH to a recent change they performed to their satellites that was out of our control. Due to those changes our units manufactured before 2013 will not consistently identify the DISH satellites in the sky. Trapping the signal as you have done by powering it off is the only way to get signal with these older systems but it will cause a loss of programming. You would have to replace the antenna with another roof mount model, or continue to just use the Carryout G2.

Thank you,

Winegard Technical Service

1-800-788-4417

OK, a couple of people have mentioned that Dish changed something that makes satellite dishes not work anymore.  Is this change just recent...like within the past month?  The last time we used the Winegard Trav'ler on our RV was March 18, the night before we arrived home.  At that time, it was working just fine.

Are we going to have to have something done with our Trav'ler so it will work when we head south this fall?  Or does this change pertain only to domes?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The change was made a few years ago, Linda, and the Trav'ler was not affected. There's more than one way to identify a particular satellite, and in hindsight, some antenna designers chose the wrong method for their product.

Dutch

6 hours ago, chirakawa said:

The dish does not transmit a signal.  However, the dome type dishes are smaller so do not have the surface area to capture that signal as well as a larger dish

That's EXACTLY correct my friend, you got it. That's the reason my smaller Dome is not nearly as strong as my larger home antenna, but still given a good clear unobstructed shot it gets all three Dish satellites (110, 119,129) yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol. Its when camped in deep canopy covered forests I may not get all three. Its like on the weaker Dome if a leaf passes by or a cloud or a mosquito flies past you loose signal, but at home the bigger stronger antenna is much more forgiving.

Nice sparky chatting with you

John T

I have been told by my son who works for Comcast not Dish that the dome antennas no longer work and you must have a Travler or a portable like the Pathway X2 or  Tailgator.

He also said that in the not too distant future (like 5 to 10 years) that all video will be streamed via the internet. The problem now for RVs is that the internet signal is so precise that mobile systems will not be able to lock onto the sat internet signal. My brother lives in the country up in the mountains and has sat internet and streams all his television via Hulu and Netflix and does not have cable or Dish/Direct. Even mounted to his rooftop on his house he has to adjust the position of the sat internet dish as the leaves grow on the trees around his house. The sat internet dish must be positioned precisely on a very narrow beam. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Satellite  Internet does require a tighter aim than sat TV due to the bi-directional requirements of the signals, but you son is quite wrong about domes no longer working. The Pathway and the Tailgater for instance, are dome examples that obviously work, as do the other domes made by Winegard and King for both Dish and Direct. If he has to adjust his sat Internet dish seasonally due to leaf/tree growth, then he doesn't have a clear enough sight line to the satellite to begin with. There are a few portable and mobile sat Internet systems currently on the market that are aimed at RV'ers and other mobile users, and are either automatically aimed or manually aimed by the user with some training. Streaming TV programming is undoubtedly the way of the future, but I think a 5-10 year window is a bit optimistic for it to completely capture the cable/satellite TV market. Until low cost unlimited data Internet is available nationwide, cable and satellite will still have a viable market. Then again, Elon Musk, et al, may change all that. ;)

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Satellite  Internet does require a tighter aim than sat TV due to the bi-directional requirements of the signals,

Yo Dutch, when you figure that satellite you're pointed to is like 25,000 or so miles away its easy to see why moving your antenna 1/4 inch can make or break you. So far my Tailgater II Dome on the RV rooftop gets all 3 Dish's sats and I don't wanna think about its gonna be outdated grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Prior to my Tailgater I packed my big home 1000.2 three LNB dish antenna and at each campsite had to get out there armed with my tripod, bubble level, compass and/or smart phone apps, turn up the volume to listen for the shrill high pitched signal indicator then slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tweak the azimuth and elevation for the max signal. Oh those were the "good old days"  now all I do is grab the remote and hit a few buttons and up pops Fox News..................    Aint life grand

John T 

3 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Even mounted to his rooftop on his house he has to adjust the position of the sat internet dish as the leaves grow on the trees around his house.

For receiving, it is rather similar to astronomy where the larger the mirror the farther away the stars seen can be. A larger dish, if properly designed has about the same purpose as does the mirror in an astronomer's telescope. But the technology to plays a part and the domes usually have a higher level than do most larger dishes. I'll not join the debate here as am not the expert, but I have 40 years of tech work and more than 10 years with satellite internet & TV dish combination. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Yo Dutch, when you figure that satellite you're pointed to is like 25,000 or so miles away its easy to see why moving your antenna 1/4 inch can make or break you. So far my Tailgater II Dome on the RV rooftop gets all 3 Dish's sats and I don't wanna think about its gonna be outdated grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Prior to my Tailgater I packed my big home 1000.2 three LNB dish antenna and at each campsite had to get out there armed with my tripod, bubble level, compass and/or smart phone apps, turn up the volume to listen for the shrill high pitched signal indicator then slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tweak the azimuth and elevation for the max signal. Oh those were the "good old days"  now all I do is grab the remote and hit a few buttons and up pops Fox News..................    Aint life grand

John T 

Yep, the distance does make it a bit tight getting the aim dead on. Your Tailgater II is fine as long as the western arc sats are viewable from your location. In other situations though, the eastern arc sats may be easier to dial in. And none of the domes work with the current multi-tuner Hopper series receivers of course. The ~15 minutes it typically takes me to set up our 1000.4 dish is fine with me in relation to the benefits we get from the multi-satellite reception with our Hoppers.  

Dutch

11 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The ~15 minutes it typically takes me to set up our 1000.4 dish is fine with me in relation to the benefits we get from the multi-satellite reception with our Hoppers

Indeed, when I packed and set up my big bulky 1000.2 and home receiver such provided benefits over my RV's Tailgater Dome and Wally (with external HD for DVR) Receiver, but still receiving all three sats and not having to deal with set up remains my choice for the time being (we move around so often its a pain to set up a home dish each day lol) AS LONG AS IT CONTINUES TO WORK THAT IS ????? If I were going to park in the same spot for extended periods Id consider my big home style antenna and receiver again for its benefits. 

Thanks for the fun chat

John T

Well, just to finish it up, we move frequently and I've set up our 1000.4 daily on numerous occasions without complaint. Since upgrading to Hoppers w/Sling though, for one nighters, we sometimes just stream live and/or recorded programming from the Hopper installed at our upstate NY vacation cottage instead of setting up the dish where we are.

Dutch

13 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I've set up our 1000.4 daily on numerous occasions without complaint

Hey Dutch were cut from the same mold lol. Like you I had plenty of practice setting up my home dish and got to where I could do it in a manner of minutes on some occasions. The most fun but VERY RARE were the times you set it up by adjusting the azimuth and elevation to where your experience and any compasses etc. indicated it should be AND WENT INSIDE AND THE PICTURE POPPED UP WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Then on other occasions my buddy and I would race to see who got the picture first !!!!!!!! I won some n lost some. Still if were moving frequently its fun and trouble free (with the Tailgater) to just push a button and watch TV, no worry no hassle no real work and the wife likes it better to boot lol.  If we were going to stay in a fixed location for long I might take the time and set up the larger more powerful 1000.2 three LNB home style antenna, but when where were on the constant move I prefer to just push a button and watch TV, that's the best of BOTH worlds and having the most options, gotta love that AS LONG AS MY TAILGATER KEEPS WORKING as warned of above ??? 

Thanks again for the fun chat

John T

John, let me know when King puts out a Tailgater that works with the newer multi-tuner receivers. Working through trees would be plus too, since it only uses the western arc sats. That version would interest me... ;)

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

let me know when King puts out a Tailgater that works with the newer multi-tuner receivers.

Presumably, you realize that this is, from a practical perspective, impossible to implement.  The Tailgater has a single dish which automatically repositions to point at whichever satellite is transmitting the particular channel that the receiver is calling for. While pointing at a satellite, the only other channels it could receive would be those coming from the same satellite.  Therefore, a multi-tuner receiver would be very limited in what it could do with its second tuner.  If your comment was intended as a joke, then ignore this post! B)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

John, let me know when King puts out a Tailgater that works with the newer multi-tuner receivers

Dutch, Sorry, but I have no answer to your question regarding what King manufactures ????

My Dome is a Taligater II, I use a Wally Receiver, I receive channels off all three satellites, and its working great !! With my bigger 1000.2 antenna I also get all three satellites but, as we know of course, it takes time and effort to set it up. I'm glad to have both options as it's not all that expensive to purchase the equipment, I OWN all my own equipment (antennas and receivers) leasing nothing from Dish. 

Again I enjoyed our fun chat hope were not boring others to tears lol

PS I enjoyed your pic. It reminds me of just last week when we were looking at our smart phones to get a shot when we were parked in the trees, we finally found a hole  WHEW we got the race and Fox News, what else does a guy need lol 

John T

Archived