SKP Co-op insurance

AZmike76

Does anyone have recommendations for insurance to protect the structure and contents of a shed at one of the SKP co-ops where you are a leaseholder? Have no sticks/bricks home any longer to extend coverage from homeowners. Have you found a company who will insure this unique situation? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums. I doubt that there is one single company that is best for all situations but there are bound to be agents near the co-op that you are interested in that deal with the insurance that you need. I suggest that you either speak with members in that co-op park or at least share with us which park you are speaking of since there probably are members of these forums who have a lot in the park. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the replies...

The information I received from the co-op was that there used to be a local agency that wrote policies but they stopped awhile ago. I am especially interested in hearing from any leaseholders out there from any of the SKP Co-ops.

I am just hoping to find a company familiar with the unique situation and not have to reinvent the wheel with a company that has no knowledge of how it works.

Thanks again.

I think the only people that can refer you to an insurance company for a co-op type of dwelling would be from the co-op management itself or from others at that co-op.  What is the co-op you're inquiring about and perhaps someone on this forum is a member of that co-op and can help.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The problem is its a unique situation that the big national companies don't know how to write. The co-op just leaves it to the individual because they are not really at risk of fire, flood, etc. If you lose your building it is on you as a leaseholder.  My understanding is all the SKP Co-op parks are basically set up the same way.  If  anyone is reading this and is a leaseholder at one of them, please let me know who you insure your shed or casita with. 

I insure my truck and 5er with Miller Insurance Agency and they are very familiar with Escapees and fulltimers but are having trouble finding anyone to write a policy. 

9 hours ago, AZmike76 said:

My understanding is all the SKP Co-op parks are basically set up the same way.

Which co-op are you in?  We live in a co-op community that isn't Escapees but which is patterned after them and have no problem in finding structure insurance. We are in Texas. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

15 hours ago, AZmike76 said:

The problem is its a unique situation that the big national companies don't know how to write. The co-op just leaves it to the individual because they are not really at risk of fire, flood, etc. If you lose your building it is on you as a leaseholder.  My understanding is all the SKP Co-op parks are basically set up the same way.  If  anyone is reading this and is a leaseholder at one of them, please let me know who you insure your shed or casita with. 

I insure my truck and 5er with Miller Insurance Agency and they are very familiar with Escapees and fulltimers but are having trouble finding anyone to write a policy. 

When we owned a lot in Timber Valley co-op in Sutherlin,Or. the co-op owns the sheds you just lease the lot with shed..

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

I am interested in what you find out. This does not seem like it should be complicated. The trailer is still the residence. You just happen to own/lease some land with a nice shed on it. This is the same concept as a condominium or ground lease and is insured all the time.

Dave and Lana Hasper

There are many places in AZ that you can purchase a lease for a lot to park on or a park model that you own but lease the land it sits on. I’m sure there has to be plenty of insurance companies waiting to take every snow birds money. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

If you can get insurance from USAA do that. They insure military people who have stuff stashed all over the world and it's all covered by one policy whether homeowners or renters. If you or an immediate family member have ever served you probably qualify.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for the responses from everyone. Still waiting for Miller Insurance to get me an answer for any company they have that will write this type of policy, (I have been with them for years and have fulltimers coverage) Yes, you would think that it would be easy to find an insurance company willing to take more of your money. I am in Texas and apparently there were more companies but they have stopped writing in Texas. 

I have been able to locate 2 with the recommendations of current residents, Texas Farm Bureau and Hochheim Prairie. The bigger companies I I have contacted can't understand the situation so they just say no, USAA is not available to me.

I guess I have the wrong information on the Co-ops being the same, eg. Timber Valley in Oregon, this co-op seems to be different. 

So at least I was able to find a couple of companies (so far) who will write a policy, I was still hoping to hear from other Escapee Co-op owners as to who they are insuring with.

Thanks everyone.

Archived