Head light restoration

runaway parents

Last month I replaced my head lights, I had used restoration kits with limited results but finally decided to go new, a week after replacing them I had to take my wife to emergency eye surgery in the middle of the night 90 miles from Reedsport to Eugene OR, best $262.00 I ever spent.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Forget it, they're not worth it...Been there and done that. 

Contact Dave Dixon on the forum and get the HID upgrade kit for the bulbs and harnesses and get new housings from an outfit in N Carolina.....Forgot their name.

But remember this, make sure the wiring gets done right.  I've had 3 firms wire mine and all of them messed it up causing melted harnesses 4 times.  One goofed  X2.

Both bulbs on each side  should not come on together, only the one he sends you.  If they do, they will melt the connection like mine did.   There may have been improvements since I got mine over a year ago.

Amazon  Got my HID kit from Retrofit Source

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

I have David Dixon’s retrofit in my old lights and they are IMO the best way to go and they were for the last 3 years, but my lense houseings got so bad that I had to go this route, when the new lights start to give me problems I will retrofit the new houseings with David’s lights.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Dave recommends the housings from Advantage Truck Parts. They are the DEPO housings.

If you are buying the upgrade kit, you can get the housings from Deepspace  for the same price that Advantage charges and he will install the upgrade kit into the DEPO housings at no charge.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

2 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Dave recommends the housings from Advantage Truck Parts. They are the DEPO housings.

If you are buying the upgrade kit, you can get the housings from Deepspace  for the same price that Advantage charges and he will install the upgrade kit into the DEPO housings at no charge.

That's them, the bunch I couldn't remember.

I had the headlights on my wife's car "professionally" restored at a body shop. Within 6 months they looked crappy again. Just better to get new ones. Pricey yes but that is the way to go.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 4/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, runaway parents said:

So I went threw the proses of restoring my head. lights. I  think I did something  wrong . Did this a year ago. Went threw the sanding proses. Sprayed the clear coat on it . Things was looking great, at that time. As time went on the clear coat started to peel.  What did I do wrong?

Hi runaway,

I am not a paint expert but I think the problem is the clear paint it's self. Not all paint a created equal. I have the Deep Space Lights myself. I won't leave home without them.

Best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

OK, here is the scoop on lights...or at least my opinion. 

There is only ONE light set to buy if you are not putting OEM LEDs on. Deepspace Lighting HIDs. It is well worth the money - they work exceptionally well.  You are simply deferring expense if you put on anything else, and you are wasting your time buffing and painting....unless your expectation is to repeat many times. Just spend the money, buy the best and be done with it. You will not be disappointed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well last year I was tired of the sanding and polishing the head lights.

So I sanded then with 320 or maybe 400 grit. Tested with water over the sand makes just to see if they sand marks show Ed through . They did not.

Before sanding the lenses were cleaned with the proper prep cleaner for automotive paint. Before sanding and just before spraying the lenses.

So then sanded the corner and back the sides a half inch or what I could. With an out 220 grit would have a better grip so to keep the edge from coming loose. Then sprayed them with regular automotive ( Martin Seynor) clear coat . This was not from a can.

Yesterday I waxed them and they look great. I did another truck at the same time and they still look as when painted.

I had the clear material so cost was already covered.

Just my thoughts.

Archived