Got a VA Rating? You Can Get a Free Lifetime National Parks Pass

RV_

Excerpt:

"A little-known benefit from the Interior Department gives military veterans with any disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs a free lifetime pass to national parks and other recreation areas, as well as discounts on some fees.

The lifetime Access Pass is advertised as available to those who "have been medically determined to have a permanent disability ... does not have to be a 100 percent disability."

But a National Parks official confirmed to Military.com that any veteran with a disability rating from the VA should be able to access it.

"If a veteran has [a] disability paper that states they have a 10 percent disability, etc., the ranger would accept it," Kathy Kupper, a National Parks spokesperson, said in an email.

An Interior Department website also gives examples of proof of disability paperwork accepted from the VA, including awards letters and benefits summaries -- but the examples do not include "permanent and total" disability ratings.

The discrepancy between the Interior Department's "permanent disability" statement and what does and does not qualify as "permanent" to the VA is likely a matter of bureaucratic definitions.

While the VA defines a "permanent disability" as something 100 percent disabling that will not improve over time, the Interior Department defers to the Americans With Disabilities Act, which defines a disability as a "physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities."

Just like the annual free military America the Beautiful Pass, which is available to active-duty troops, Guardsmen and reservists and their dependents, the Access Pass will give free entrance to the pass holder and any other passengers at "per vehicle" locations. But unlike that military pass, the Access Pass is good only for the pass holder at "per person" locations."

More information and hot links in the article here:

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/04/06/got-va-rating-you-can-get-free-lifetime-national-parks-pass.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I am a partial amputee. No toes on my right foot due to a motorcycle accident. Not military related. I have disability plates on my vehicles. I was given a Lifetime Golden Acess Pass years ago due to my disability plates on my vehicle. No paperwork or application. It was given to me at the entrance of Yosemite National Park.

I have been declined by Social Security 3 times for disability payments. They said I was over educated and it had nothing to do with my physical disability. I didn’t want the income, only to be eligible for Medicare before 65 since I was self employed and had to retire early due to the accident. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Howdy!

We visited Saguaro National Park today and I asked the Range about the Lifetime pass for Veterans with a VA rating. He asked if I had my Veterans ID. I showed him my VA health care card and he looked at it and advised the only thing he needed to know is if it stated “Service connected” which it did. He issued me a  “America The Beautiful” Access Pass which displays a handicap emblem on it free of charge. He actually stated that this pass was better than the senior pass I already had. The only difference I see is the handicap emblem displayed on the card.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Hey Gary,

Glad to hear you got one and it was that easy. I just checked my VA picture ID and it does indeed say Service Connected on it. Thanks for the feedback on the ease of getting it in the real world. I'm set when next we go to one.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

They are Kirk. But they can't just drive up with a handicapped hanger and get one. DEspite being off topic I will clarify what you brought up.

For non - military vets without a disability rating from the VA the documentation is different and must be presented at the gate for a free pass and must be acceptable documentation:

"Overview of the Access Pass

• You can obtain an Access Pass in person, with proper documentation, from a participating Federal recreation site or office. See Site Locations that issue the Access Pass.

Access Passes may be obtained via mail order from USGS. Mail-order applicants for the Access Pass must submit a completed paper application, proof of residency and documentation of permanent disability (does not have to be a 100% disability), and pay the document processing fee of $10 to obtain a pass through the mail. Once the application package is received, the documentation will be verified and a pass, with the pass owner's name pre-printed on it, will be issued to the applicant.

Some examples of acceptable documentation include:

• Statement by a licensed physician;
  • Document issued by Federal agency such as the Veteran's Administration, Social Security Disability Income, or Supplemental Security Income;
  • Document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency."

I would find it much easier to just show my VA Photo ID which shows service connected status as all of us who have a VA rating would have the VA card in our wallets, I do.

So now vets with a disability rating know they can just show their VA ID Card.

Source for the above information, and for those who wish to get one by mail and pay the $10 fee the forms are there on this link too:

https://store.usgs.gov/faq#Access-Pass

This next link shows what is acceptable documentation and what is not. The handicapped hang tag is not proof enough to get a pass.

https://store.usgs.gov/node/144

If you don't carry your VA card normally just remember to put it in your wallet for your pass next time you go to a national park or other cross agency site that issues the passes or accepts them.

This link has a list of parks and facilities by state that issue the passes:

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/PassIssuanceList.pdf

The reason I clarified again is that saying "all handicapped get the pass" may mislead them into thinking their issued handicapped hanger is proof when it is not acceptable according to the website above:

5dM7GwXl.jpg

Besides, this is posted in the veteran's section, so it is narrowed for this topic to this audience.

Safe accessible travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived