Roof Coating/Sealing

jer

"Benjamin RV Wash" in Yuma wants to seal my EPDM rubber roof using "ZINSSER Bulls Eye 1.2.3 Primer" and "Black Jack Silicon Waterproofing Coating". I have never heard of these products. Has anyone? Benjamin gives a two year warranty. I know Benjamin has used these products to seal RV EPDM rubber roofs, but don't know how well they have held up. Anyone had any experience with these products?

Jer

Do they offer you references from past customers?  Is this the product which they are planning to use? Reading the company's product spec sheet there is no mention of RV use but the warranty is impressive. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes Kirk, that is the product. I spoke with the company this morning and asked if it was appropriate for a RV roof and they said yes, it is for use on an "EPDM rubber roof".  They used the term "EPDM rubber roof" before I did and was knowledgeable of the requirements for a EPDM roof.

Jer 

I don't know about it but I kind of think being sckeptical to the point of coming up with rock solid info before letting someone do it would bother me a lot.  I used someone that should have been good with a good product did mine a couple of years ago  and it did not last long.  Once done it will be extremely difficult to make it right and do it again so please be really cautious for your own sake.

JER, be very careful. That Black Jack  product is available at Lowes in Yuma. Go there and read the info on the plastic bucket. It has a note there regarding application to an EPDM roof. It does require a primer which most EPDM coatings require or adding a catalyst. I emailed Black Jack last year and they recommended a primer that was available to commercial roofers.  Google the primer Benjamin wants to use. Nowhere does it say it is applicable for EPDM roofs. Last season I researched coatings for my roof. Dicor of course is the leader, but their primer needs to be hosed off after applying and they recommend tarping the rig. I finally went with Liquid Roof which uses a catalyst. A contributor here on the forum, rpsinc,  he frequents the HDT forum called me and gave me some very good tips using Liquid Roof, as he has done several.  If the rig is stationary you can probably get away with some of the coatings. I have watched Benjamin, my neighbor was going to have him do his roof, but after checking the products he was going to use, they parted company. He does a good job washing rigs but just beware of the roof coating side of the business.

Archived