Solar Panel Height Above Roof

On 5/14/2018 at 5:49 PM, Jim Gell said:

gypsydan, 

I posted a picture of my diamond plate shield with my text and it shows up when I look at it.  Can anyone else see it?  Maybe I did not give it the right permissions?  

My diamond plate was about 1/8 inch thick or less.  I bought it cheap by the pound as assorted scrap, so it wasn't labeled.   I did a somewhat elaborate mounting with 3" or 4" X 2" channels cut at 45 degrees on the ends. I made some brackets that bolted between diamond plate and the channels.  I then put clear plastic car door edge guard along the bottom and snugged that lower edge to the radius on the front of my trailer.  Hopefully it's not wearing holes in my fiberglass cap. 

I may have more detailed pictures to post but I should figure out why you can't see them first.

Jim 

Here is what I get when I try opening the link in a new tab.  Al lI did was save the picture to my desktop, then reduce it to less than 100k, and drag it onto this page.

blank-1.PNG.fc4e84da719f03a3e63bd0b1d74a08ce.PNG

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On May 24, 2018 at 4:22 PM, gypsydan said:

What are you screwing the stainless screws into?  If it is ceiling crossbeams you need to be sure they are not aluminum, as over time the chemical intereaction between aluminum and stainless will badly corrode the aluminum and damage the ceiling beams, which could be difficult to repair/replace.  Teh metal fram on my rig is all aluminum, which means I have to buy aluminmu screws (.75 cents each) to screw into the ceiling beams.

I know there are different grades,of stainless but I have never had a problem. I bought my first all aluminum horse trailer in 1991 and have had two others since. All the factory bolts are stainless directly into aluminum. 

I have seen the damage galvanized screws and bolts can do, and They should not be used.  I have seen aluminum bolts but never screws where do you get them? Are they strong enough to pull the material together?

Archived