How to modify "Pop-out" windows in new RV's??

Al F

We have been looking at a new-to-us motorhome.  However instead of the usual sliding windows where one full half of the window slides open to provide ventilation, all the large windows have a knob on the bottom that you crank to "pop-out" the bottom of the window about 5-6 inches.  This really restricts the amount of air which will circulate through the RV.

Has anyone every tried to modify how far the window pops out at the bottom.  Is it even possible?  I would like to be able to push the bottom of the window open to about 15-18 inches.  Preferably a modification to be able to push the window out so it opens to about 70 to 80 degrees (almost perpendicular to the side of the RV). 

The RV we are looking at is a 2015-2017 Fleetwood Bounder, 34T

We spend most of our travels dry camping or boondocking.  We really value the ability to let the air freely circulate through the RV w/o use of any fans.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Frameless windows like those have been common for the past ten years.  I have them, don't like them.  Like you say, they don't allow for much ventilation without running the Fantastic Fan.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have them as well, but have not had any issues with air circulation.  Of course my 5th wheel has a lot of windows, so even though they don't open wide there is still a lot of air coming in.  I don't think that they can be modified to open as far as you would like though.  The glass would come in contact with the glass above the pivot point if they were opened too far (at least that is what it looks like would happen on my windows).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I doubt you can get them open that much, but my Lifestyle had Herr windows that were able to be modified to open a little more. The metal part that opens the windows had plastic stops that could be removed to allow the part to stick straight out. My rig now doesnt. I would say that if your window, when open completely has the metal part that opens the window sticking straight out, than that is all you can get short of disconnecting something and using a stick. :) 

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, Fulltimer51 said:

I doubt you can get them open that much, but my Lifestyle had Herr windows that were able to be modified to open a little more. The metal part that opens the windows had plastic stops that could be removed to allow the part to stick straight out. My rig now doesnt. I would say that if your window, when open completely has the metal part that opens the window sticking straight out, than that is all you can get short of disconnecting something and using a stick. :) 

My thought was to remove the existing mechanism and install a rod or bar, attached to the window to push out the glass.

However the issue is moot for now.  We decided against getting this RV.  Thanks for the info though. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Thanks for the replies and info. 

We have decided against buying this RV.  We went back out and looked at the RV again yesterday.  We even managed to get Sharon up into the MH.  (Sharon has great difficulty climbing steps, we have a chair lift to get her in and out of our current MH.)  After looking at the interior we realized there is less cabinet, drawer and wardrobe space in this 35' MH than we have in our 30" class A.  We spend from 6 months to 9 months in the RV and we cook most of our meals, so places to put all our stuff is a priority.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived