OH S%!T moment

Vegas Teacher

Well it was one of those moments when you say it then you do it.........

So last week was spring break here in Las Vegas, I was not near a computer so you might have all noticed I was quiet and not active unless you were on the facebook page where I can post and keep up very easily from my phone. I went to Kingman Arizona and back in the Semi to get it out and run it. My wife and her friend came along and we went to local microbrews there along with an antique store or two. The Rickety Cricket was a nice place but the wait staff was less than friendly. I guess I am neutral on them as far as a recommendation goes, really wasn't a fan of the service. I do not know who the barmaids thought they were but I am from Vegas and have seen a lot better, I left a dollar tip on a large bill. I should not have left that much, I was even sitting right at the bar right in front of them with my wife and her friend. What I did like there was the arcade they had Asteroids, Galaga, Mrs. Packman and Centipede. It was my grade school through high school games. The food was also good but the service was lousy. I did not have anything to drink, and it just about killed me. I do follow the rules when I drive the truck.

Anyway on the way back into Vegas I was coming in on 515, and I had made it to the Sunset mall almost. I look up and in the median is a cop car , I pass lights come on, cop pulls up behind me then passes me to chase down another Semi - Looked to be an older model Peterbilt like a 385, I think, but he had him pulled off on the side of the road when I went past.

I get passed and my wife asked me if I need a change of underware? So as soon as I can breath again I laugh and her friend laughs also. 

We had a great time that day. I left at about 8:00 and we got home about 5:00 p.m. We parked at the T/A on Beale street where it intersects with I-40 and then called Lyft to pick us up and take us to the Micro Brews that were about a mile down the street. I know I saw a lot lizard Kingman, I just got that feeling.

On a great note the truck ran really nice. I have called to find out how much it would be to get my leaf springs changed - labor 8 hours at 127.50 per hour, used leafs are 175.00 New are closer to 300.00. 

Flyer and I are going to do the Jackalopee and brake system on his truck and my truck in a couple of weeks. Flyer is going to teach me how to do it. We will look at some of the maintenance stuff when I am at his house. I also need to change the coolant reservoir and that  looks to be another 225 - 250.00

I am really liking the truck and learning how to do stuff. I took the seat out and followed a lot of the advice I got from the people here. The wife and I are talking about our first major trip in the Semi this summer if we can get everything up and running.

Later,

Vegas Teacher.

Even I still pucker up a little when I see red lights in my rear view mirror (and I am usually the one turning the lights on ;)).  It is a natural reaction.  Glad they weren't after you and you had a good time.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Passed a scale today that said ALL Trucks... The guy in the window pointed at us, shook his head and pointed to the sign.... "Proceed to Interstate"    

Hey I was just following Your rules.... Don't want me pulling in, change the wording....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Passed a scale today that said ALL Trucks... The guy in the window pointed at us, shook his head and pointed to the sign.... "Proceed to Interstate"    

Hey I was just following Your rules.... Don't want me pulling in, change the wording....

Pull into the truck lane at an international border and see what they tell you. It will make your scale visit look like a non event.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

6 minutes ago, Shallow Draft said:

Pull into the truck lane at an international border and see what they tell you. It will make your scale visit look like a non event.

Did that last year, sort of on purpose.  There were about 75 cars in line and 3 trucks...  Once we got past that first part about being in the wrong lane, the inspector asked me of I had a note from Mom?  I thought about it for a minute and couldn't figure out why I would need my mother's permission to cross the border - then it dawned on me, I had my son with me!  I guess now I need a note from his Mom to cross the border.

12 hours ago, Shallow Draft said:

Pull into the truck lane at an international border and see what they tell you.

I have read the other posts about the border. I have heard it is not fun. Do they really stop you and search your entire vehicle. I would never carry my "friend" with me over the border but I do have a CCW card. If I drove across the border, would just having the card, and that coming up on a computer on the office prompt a search of the vehicle and trailer if I went into Canada from Michigan?

Crossing the Canadian border is usually not a problem. I cross multiple times a year and I have not had my "turn" to get searched. Just the usual questions. I have carried my gun south with the proper paperwork. I do not think that having a CCW permit will show up on the Canadian border computer. They just assume that many Americans routinely travel with their firearms. Don't take your firearms to Canada without the proper paperwork. I have a friend who lost 4 nice guns and got a $5000.00 fine and can't visit Canada again. They gave him all the chance in the world to declare his guns and he chose to lie to them.  They would have allowed him to return to the USA and put his guns in storage and then re-enter Canada.

The same applies to entering the USA, a undeclared firearm will get you all kinds of legal problems and likely a latex allergy.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

1 hour ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I have read the other posts about the border. I have heard it is not fun. Do they really stop you and search your entire vehicle. I would never carry my "friend" with me over the border but I do have a CCW card. If I drove across the border, would just having the card, and that coming up on a computer on the office prompt a search of the vehicle and trailer if I went into Canada from Michigan?

My wife and I both have CPLs. We enter Canada at least once a year. Only once in the last 8 years has our vehicle been searched. Even the time I declared a few rifles. They just asked to see them to see they were secured and verify the SN on the paperwork. Half the time we have the kids, the other half it's just her and I. We always have our paperwork out and ready. They have even told us many times how we are "some of the most organized folks they have dealt with"

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

12 minutes ago, Imurphy907 said:

My wife and I both have CPLs. We enter Canada at least once a year. Only once in the last 8 years has our vehicle been searched. Even the time I declared a few rifles. They just asked to see them to see they were secured and verify the SN on the paperwork. Half the time we have the kids, the other half it's just her and I. We always have our paperwork out and ready. They have even told us many times how we are "some of the most organized folks they have dealt with"

Thanks,

The reason I was asking is this summer we are going back to my wife's home state of Michigan. She is from the Big Rapids area, it is north of and smaller than Grand Rapids. Her Father's family is from the "Thumb" so I know he wants to go over to see it this summer. We might travel into Canada and I was just curious what it would be like. Our Honeymoon was in Sault Saint Marie and what a beautiful place it was, but when we left the U.S. and ventured into Canada it was interesting back in 2003, and I sure a lot has changed since then.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

13 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

I had my son with me!  I guess now I need a note from his Mom to cross the border.

Minor children crossing the border with anyone other than both of their parents need to have a notarized permission statement signed by the absent parent. Unfortunately, some parents have tried to take their children out of the country to keep them away from the other parent.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

52 minutes ago, docj said:

Minor children crossing the border with anyone other than both of their parents need to have a notarized permission statement signed by the absent parent. Unfortunately, some parents have tried to take their children out of the country to keep them away from the other parent.

I understand the why, but had never heard of a letter being a requirement before. We cross the border 4-5 times a year, usually get asked about firearms and told to have a nice day.

11 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

I understand the why, but had never heard of a letter being a requirement before. We cross the border 4-5 times a year, usually get asked about firearms and told to have a nice day.

All I know is that we took two grandsons to Canada 4 years ago and we definitely needed notarized permission documents signed by their parents.  Furthermore, the Canadian border agents took the docs and scanned them in before letting us proceed.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Shallow Draft,

What is the required paperwork required for entering with a firearm? I was under the assumption that they were not allowed to cross the border, period.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

20 minutes ago, maveric said:

Shallow Draft,

What is the required paperwork required for entering with a firearm? I was under the assumption that they were not allowed to cross the border, period.

Visiting Canada in possession of firearms

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, docj said:

This the best source of info.

I knowhow to import to the USA but not into  Canada.

Archived