Midnight's Classic 150 comments wanted

I'm installing solar on my 25' class C, using the Canadian Solar 305w CS6K-305ms. It is 37v and 9.33 amps.  I may get a larger RV in the future, so am wanting to build fo rthe future and be able to have more panels.  The place I'm buying the parts from recommends the Midnight Classic 150 Charge Controller.  I read Handy Bob's article on it [below], but he had considerable problems with it. 

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2015-midnite-classic-problems/

I'm wanting to know what people who own a Classic 150 think of it.  His article was written in 2015, so I'm sure (hoping) they have made improvements since 2015 from what he describes in his article. 

It would also be helpful if anyone cares to make any comparisons with other charge controllers they have owned.  Any comments would be helpful, especially before I plunk down $575.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I also have 37 (or 39) volt panels and use a MorningStar TS-MPPT-60-150V controller and am very happy with it.  Sorry I do not have any input regarding the Midnight Classic unit.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Have had the Classic, The Kid, Morningstar MPPT 60 and the Flexmax 80. Now have the Victron 150/60 with bluetooth. Do look at the Victron before you buy. Having the bluetooth means you can monitor and adjust your controller setting from anywhere close to coach, without running cabling to remote inside.   https://baymarinesupply.com/solar-wind/charge-controllers.html I am running 3 320 watt panels in series with no problems.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

X2 on the Victron products!  I love the Bluetooth connectivity. You also can change parameters so easily vrs using a  wired “remote”. You might also be better off using a smaller footprint solar panel for more flexibility and  a better fit  

http://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy-MPPT-10050-Smart-Solar-Charge-Controller-with-built-in-Bluetooth_p_7179.html

2 hours ago, gypsydan said:

The place I'm buying the parts from recommends the Midnight Classic 150 Charge Controller.  I read Handy Bob's article on it [below], but he had considerable problems with it. 

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2015-midnite-classic-problems/

I'm wanting to know what people who own a Classic 150 think of it.

I've used a Classic 150 for several years, but it's a "sophisticated" (aka complicated) device. 

I also read Handy Bob's Classic 150 article. My take away from the article was that Bob didn't understand the150, and the 150's manual didn't help. Instead of Bob, I suggest Jack Mayer's web site.

When I had issues with my 150, I've used the MidNite Solar online forum with great success.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Midnite Solar has great tech support, when my classic 150 gave me trouble, they walked me through troubleshooting and when nothing worked, sent me a new one with a no cost RMA.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

25 minutes ago, noteven said:

I'm thinking the Victron with Bluetoot might be what I use too. 

They make everything you would need for an rv electrical system, even including batteries. All easily upgradeable and compatible. Great reputation in the boating world.

On 4/2/2018 at 7:38 PM, lenp said:

I also have 37 (or 39) volt panels and use a MorningStar TS-MPPT-60-150V controller and am very happy with it.  Sorry I do not have any input regarding the Midnight Classic unit.

Lenp

Thanks. Want I wanted to hear. Your blog show you'r having an interesting time on the raod.

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

On 4/2/2018 at 8:24 PM, Zulu said:

I've used a Classic 150 for several years, but it's a "sophisticated" (aka complicated) device. 

I also read Handy Bob's Classic 150 article. My take away from the article was that Bob didn't understand the150, and the 150's manual didn't help. Instead of Bob, I suggest Jack Mayer's web site.

When I had issues with my 150, I've used the MidNite Solar online forum with great success.

I read somewhere that it was difficult to program, at least until you learn it - true or false?

8 hours ago, bigbillsd said:

You should call them and ask what changes they have made since Bob's experience, if any.  -Bill

I did, and the tech person I talked with said he had never heard of Handy Bob  This surprised me, as the article was fairly damaging.  This is why I'm reaching out today, to see if anything has changed, which I was assuming would have. 

If we don't complain to mfg's and let them know customers are not happy, they will have no reason to improve their products.

3 hours ago, gypsydan said:

I read somewhere that it was difficult to program, at least until you learn it - true or false?

The Classic has a setup "wizard", that gets you through setup, but there are many advanced settings. That's when I'd use MidNite Solar's forum.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I have the Classic 150 in my current rig, and have installed it in the past. I have no issues with them. That said, on the new rigs we are specing Victron. There are too many positive things about the Victron to ignore. Including the remote capabilities. The next rig is all victron.  That works for me, but may not for others.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Only have the Victron solar controller and battery combiner now, but do intend to expand to Victron inverter/charger and battery monitor in the future. Have found the Victron solar controller much more "user friendly" than the the outback or midnite solar units. Added bonus, Victron has much smaller footprint.

Our previous setup on our Bay Star included a Morningstar Tristar MPPT controller. While I guess it's good to have connectivity to adjust settings remotely, I don't recall ever having to do that once it was programmed and installed. In my case it's probably better that I not have the ability to play with it. 

We did contact Morningstar for tech support once when we were on the road and our solar stopped charging the batteries. Morningstar tech support stayed on the phone and guided me through a series of trouble-shooting exercises while I scrambled around with my flashlight and tester. We were still within the warranty period and the tech offered to courier a replacement to us even after we failed find anything wrong with their unit. 

As it turned out both our panels had been stolen off the roof ...

Good customer service is the best kind of 'bells and whistles' one can get with a product. We're now preparing an install on our Canyon Star and she will have a Morningstar controller.

MidNite Classic150 or Victron - Both should serve you well. 

We've had no problems with our Classic150 and WhzBngJr. Zulu is correct that the advance settings are best set by advanced user's... And I too spend time on the MidNite Forum learning tips & tricks. But frankly, once I got thru the software update needed to incorporate the WhzBngJr functionality - I've really have no reason to make changes to the programming since. And yes, Bluetooth would be nice, but I maybe use the cable connection once or twice a month, to check the logs. 

Now, I'm a simple user so have not been bothered by any of the issues Handy Bob discusses. And yes, I suspect many at MidNite know Handy Bob, as he does have a following. Perhaps the person on the phone just does not engage in Handy Bob discussions:)!

If shopping today, I'd compare the MidNite Classic150 and Victron carefully. No idea which one I'd go with now... 

Best to you, 

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Midnight for many years and have installed an additional 4 in the last few months. Loved them, the only difference I have done is to remove the display from the front panel, ran a longer cable (leaving the original installed and coming out), to inside the Rv for a nice installation 

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I just started looking at Victron as the bluetooth connectivity sounds pretty nice.  I was a bit puzzled by this statement in the manual for one of their PWM controllers.   Positive grounding...  -Bill

victronpositiveground.JPG

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

Does not make sense to me. Maybe a "lost in translation" issue. Not all the controllers are bluetooth capable. I have the 150/60 and had to buy a bluetooth dongle. Alan at Bay Marine and Supply is an expert on all things Victron, and generally has some of the best prices.

When choosing a controller check that the lug in the controller will accept the gauge of wire from the panels to controller.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Archived