Computer/Android Security

Got shocked the other day.  Have an Android phone.    I do not do any financial transactions over the phone, only on my home computer.  Do all of our "Bill Paying" and financial transactions on line.  I have complicated passwords and check the important ones frequently.  One of the Google Apps (Didn't think I had anything other than gmail that i use).  Google advised me of several credit card bills I had due and the exact amount.  As far as I know to get that information they would need to access that website which requires a user name and password.  Actually I'm not sure which app it was, maybe "Google Feed" which I didn't knowingly sign up and that specifically isn't in my App directory. on the phone.  Any information on what's going on?

The feed in the Google app/search/assistant is doing what it is designed to do, and the card display stuff is opt-in. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Now#Functionality

You can turn it off:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2819541?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

Jose,

I have the Moto Z Play Droid and nothing like that comes up. I do get email notifications and text notifications. I also refuse to use GMail, even have it force stopped and disabled, and use Office 2010 Outlook for my local email client. I would be concerned.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Jose, I also refuse to use GMail, even have it force stopped and disabled, and use Office 2010 Outlook for my local email client. I would be concerned.

LOL,  if you use Outlook on your phone you have what is called a Man in the Middle.  The phone/tablet Outlook app doesn't let you directly connect to your email server.  You connect to one of their servers and that server connects to your email server.   I only found this out by chance when it wouldn't connect correctly to my IMAP server.   When I looked at the logs for the IP it showed the connection to my IMAP server was actually coming from a Microsoft Server, not my phone's IP address.   I was shocked at that, and switched immediately to a mail app called Bluemail.  I still use Outlook on my desktop, it connects directly to my POP3 server.   I only access it via IMAP on my tablets and phones.  -Bill 

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

LMAO backatcha Big bill sd,

You can't use Office 2010 Outlook on Android or the old Windows phones, they use an App. Not an Office 2010 for Windows 10 computers and Windows tablets version of Outlook. I do have the default Android mail app for checking when needed. Not often. I detest Chrome, and use Firefox on my Windows computers, Tablets and desktop.

I can use mail in an emergency away from home as I have Widows 10 tablets: a Surface pro 3, a Surface Pro 4, and a Dell venue 11 Pro. My Surface Pro is an i7 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

My desktop main system is a 27" touch screen Dell XPS 2720 All In One (AIO) i7, 8Gb RAM, dual storage drives: a 32GB SSD for fast loading and a fast 2TB HD. Thunderbolt and six fast USB 3, and two HDMI ports and out And an in to which I connect one of our 3 Fire TV for that All in One desktop. My wife's is an equally well appointed Lenovo AIO.

Where on earth did you come up with a man in the middle attack from my not using Chrome? I don't do emails on my phone at all by choice. At home I have cable Internet at 200Mbps unlimited amount of use/data. I don't even take it into stores and restaurants or other activities. No outside contact is going to interrupt my activities. Look up man in the middle attacks.

Now explain how you were using Office 2010 Outlook on a phone?

I don't use Outlook.com even though I have an account there for webmail. I even have a second alias there.

Once again Bill, tell me all about your use of Office 2010 Outlook Windows 10 program on a phone. That's why I specified Office 2010 Outlook in my post.

We try to help folks here.

For those here like Bill who want to know what a man in the middle attack is, click here:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=man+in+the+middle+attacks+explained&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

6 hours ago, RV_ said:

You can't use Office 2010 Outlook on Android or the old Windows phones, they use an App.

FYI, you CAN use Outlook on Android. To specify Office 2010 is splitting hairs particularly since there are newer versions of Office available and Microsoft has developed apps for nearly all of it Office products, including Outlook. Outlook for Android works with Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Outlook.com, Gmail and Yahoo Mail.

Microsoft Outlook app

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 4/3/2018 at 5:46 AM, Chalkie said:

FYI, you CAN use Outlook on Android. To specify Office 2010 is splitting hairs particularly since there are newer versions of Office available and Microsoft has developed apps for nearly all of it Office products, including Outlook. Outlook for Android works with Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Outlook.com, Gmail and Yahoo Mail.

Microsoft Outlook app

Chalkie,

I made the original correct statement. Then I found a smug but totally incorrect correction of my original specification that I was using Office 2010.

Splitting hairs you say?? What is with you? I said I didn't use my phone as my Internet connection rather a 200 Mbps cable service with unlimited-in-fact bandwidth since I pay the extra ten bucks over the already high price for that speed and use between 400-500 GB of streaming. I do that for my 65" home Theater with actual 4k with full array back lighting, connected by HDMI 2.1 cables to an Amazon Fire TV,  second generation large one with 4k hardware.

I do know all about the Apps and even tried them all out on my Android phones and like before I don't have time for Apps when I can use full Firefox and my MS Office Home and Business Outlook for all my emails. I bought two military only offers for three seats each. So I have a copy for each system.

When both of you can stop trying to fit my facts into your inaccurate reading perhaps you can stop trying to be right and we can get back to helping folks who actually need our help.

Both of you are not getting any points for trying to put words in my mouth. And as you both can see I have not edited that post and it stands.

Chalkie, unless you are telling me a standard 2010 version of Office can run on Android, which everyone reading this knows is ridiculous, then call me splitting hairs when you are splitting as many as you can trying to fit a square set of facts into your round hole! LMAO.

Perhaps y'all might learn the distinction between being right and doing right.

gad.gif

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV,

No I have decided though that you are the "know it all" and do not take ANY criticism well. Personally, I am done with you and I also you like to see other cut you off at the knees as it seems EVERY single post you make comes off as "smug". I am really being polite so as not to be banned. 

Buh, Bye.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 hours ago, Chalkie said:

RV,

No I have decided though that you are the "know it all" and do not take ANY criticism well. Personally, I am done with you and I also you like to see other cut you off at the knees as it seems EVERY single post you make comes off as "smug". I am really being polite so as not to be banned. 

Buh, Bye.

Thank you!  You've been criticizing for quite a while. Do be done with me. I've been a contributor here for more than 18 years now without your help. Imagine that. You've been here four and are threatening me with telling others to cut me off at the knees. Don'y worry, I won't threaten you back because you are doing a bang up job all by yourself.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

JFYI.  The OP was talking about apps on his android phone.  Outlook is an app for android phones that lots of folks use, i used it till I figured out what it was doing.  It uses a man in the middle,  I did "not" say anything about an "attack",  please refer to my post. 

Your reference to office 10 appeared to be a typo with regards to the original posters android/google message, so as we were discussing phones i thought you were just referring to Office on a phone, of which Outlook is the email part of it.   

Sorry if I offended you.   

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

Big bill, No problem, consider it forgotten. BTW i only took offense at your first word - LOL. But no biggie. I gave it back. No harm no foul. Nice to meet you.

I just saw this as my son and two year old grandson flew in Friday and I've been tied up with them. My friend got another large 250 pound wild pig/boar and is having another pig roast for us and I thought I'd check my mail while my wife goes to the aquarium here with my son and grandson.

What I was trying to say is that I could not duplicate the problem since I don't use the mail Apps on my phone, even though I did connect the default Moto mail App in case of emergency. We use our desktops at home for email and surfing as we are in a stix and brix, so I'm unfamiliar with troubleshooting other email clients for mobiles. I just use Office 2010 Home and Biz on our three desktop PCs and three Windows Pro tablets.

Sorry backatcha for writing so poorly that it could be easily misunderstood.

Thanks for responding. We'll start over

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived