Do I need tire chains

We start full-timing this fall.  Next year we will be traveling the western half of the US and Canada.  It looks like out trip will take us through the Sierra Nevadas and parts of the Rockies in late September through early October.  I have a Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ (FW) and a F350 dually diesel.  How likely is it that I will run into sections where chains are required?  Would you carry chains on the off chance that you will need them.  I tend to be a boy scout when it comes to preparation, but I try to avoid the unnecessary.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

If you want to cover your bases, wait until you hit the West Coast. Les Schwab tire centers are just about everywhere, carry chains and have a buy back program (at any location) if they are unused at the end of snow season.

It's not likely going to be an issue that time of year (on the U.S. side of the border). You might catch a skiff or two but there are a very limited number of mtn. crossings and the transportation departments are very good about keeping them plowed and gravelled. It never lasts. Worst case, you might choose to lay up for half a day or two rather than making a questionable pass crossing. Plenty to see and do while you wait.

I live in Colorado and don't carry chains. Yarome's advice to just lay up and wait is the best. 

In Colorado, and I know every state is somewhat different in their requirements, they have several levels of "chain laws". I is mandatory the commercial vehicles carry chains from November to May. When they call for chain restrictions, they can either require 4WD or adequate tires (i.e., snow tires) or they can call for chains or they can simply just close the road. I will not go if it is bad enough for chains and will not tow in any event if the highway is more than wet.

Now, as for the Les Schwab thing, they are not just west coast anymore, there are a number of them in Colorado. ;)

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

How likely is it that I will run into sections where chains are required?

I have never carried tire chains since I retired as we just don't travel when they are needed. With modern highways, you rarely need to sit and wait for longer than a day or two even in midwinter. Back when we lived in WY and I worked for a living I used to hunt elk which often required towing or driving an RV into mountains with snow and I have done so with the use of tire chains. That experience taught me that it isn't a fun experience and is better to be avoided if at all practical. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks to all who replied. After reading the replies and remembering that I will be traveling without the need to be somewhere I’ve opted to take a wait and see approach. I’m still having trouble recognizing that I am almost fully retired. After several decades in a profession where you are expected to be somewhere regardless of circumstances that is a seismic shift. 

Jinx and Wayne

Howdy!

I’ve never carried them. If I need tire chains I’m in the wrong grid coordinates. As stated best just to layup till the road clears.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I always carry a set of singles for the drivers just in case.  In six years with current MH they have never been on the tires.  Previous rigs (MDT and fiver) I have had to use them twice - once to get out of a fellows driveway when bobtail and second crossing a mountain pass here in Oregon in mid April.  In the latter case I had checked the pass conditions and all appeared to be good to go but it turned out to be about 40 miles of white knuckle driving on packed snow that was just beginning to melt - slicker than you know what!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

13 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I’m still having trouble recognizing that I am almost fully retired. After several decades in a profession where you are expected to be somewhere regardless of circumstances that is a seismic shift. 

Many of us have "been there'", brother.

The lay up and wait it out.. got nowhere to be... or when... approach has always worked for me.

Remembering, at best... you've got 9k of a dually chained up, but still have 15k~ish un-chained kissing your rear... makes sense to just lay up and explore the local flavor. ;)

I use the One Stop Shop website for information on road conditions, chain requirements, accidents. etc.  My favorite feature is being able to look at roads on your travel route via the traffic cameras.  Enjoy.

Later, J

http://oss.weathershare.org/?Center=42.18529516716987,-122.097248046875&Zoom=8&Layers=CCTV,traffic #.WsOVoIjwZRa

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

"it's time to chain up" sign was up on I-15 on Homestake Pass between Helena and Butte MT on November 1, 2017 due to a light dusting of 12" of snow earlier in the day. 

I carry a set of singles for the drive axle and one set of cable type chains that fit the trailer. I find them sufficient for RV weights. 

Chains are most useful descending icy grades due to gravity. Lots of outfits will climb slippery grades barefoot.  They don't want to stay in control so much coming down. 486 eleventeen hundred big diesel horsepower doesn't do much on the icy down grade. Toboggans don't even have engines :).

Many states and provinces require vehicles towing to carry chains during winter. 

It's your choice if you want to use them or stay put until the roads improve or give it a go barefoot. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 hours ago, noteven said:

Many states and provinces require vehicles towing to carry chains during winter

After decades of Maine winters I’m familiar with the type of weather you describe and the pleasures of driving in it. In particular a trip hauling ski lift towers back from Cortland NY over the Kancamangus Highway in an ice storm comes to mind. I was in my 20’s and still invulnerable. 

From here on out I don’t plan on spending any more Novembers north of year round golf. November 1 each year should find us tucking into a nice warm RV park. The only ice will be under the umbrella in our adult beverages.

I was concerned about mountain travel a month before as We meander back to warmer climes. I’m going to follow the wait-and-see school of thinking because I can. There may be snow but I can wait it out without too much danger of joining the Donners for dinner. 

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

On 4/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, Jinx & Wayne said:

That is correct. Some states require chains on at least one trailer axle- at least for commercial vehicles. 

not a commerical thing but if the axle has brakes. and also for non commercial weight of the trailer (aka light weight "garden" type).

as in ca no chan law. but you can not get past the chain control point if not chained up.

if you must get through, carry them. if not best to enjoy the area before a pass for a day or two.

I have a big, big rig.  With my level of driving experience, lack of urgency to get there, and the fact that that's my home, not just a trailer, you'll find me sitt'in it out if I make the mistake of getting caught in that kind of weather.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I carry singles not to be on the road but IF I have to lay over because of ice, I may need the chains to get to the road.

Back in my working days that seems to be a common practice.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived