Now to buy a gun

Gady

If you believe the liberal media and politicians, there is no need to go back to Tx.  Just pop into any gun show and buy without an ID or background check.  Oh, and they claim you can do the same online and get the gun delivered to your door with no problems.  If you believe the liberal media and politicians.

Recently completed a gun purchase. I took a couple restarts filling out the Federal Form, as it didn't like Escapees Address. Finally changed my 77399 zip code from the nine digits back to 77399. Correct address verified and done.

remoandiris  100% correct if you believe the Fake News. And you can add that guns kill but abortion clinics don't kill babies, Drugs don't kill, if I go on it may be political.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

23 hours ago, chirakawa said:

You must go back a long ways Joe.  Even when we still used revolvers, speed loaders have been around for over 40 years.  :)

I guess I don't think of myself as "going back a long ways", but maybe I do.  In 1973 my first cop job required us to carry a Browning Hi Power.  Problem was it did not have a safety for left handers.  I almost had to switch to a revolver.  Next city I went to was much larger and all carried revolvers.  The first speed loaders I used was strictly for competitive shooting but by 1980 we were all using them on the street, plus some went to autos.  I stuck with my 6" Smith until being hired by the State Police.  Gets pretty lonely out there with the closest backup 20 minutes away so I carried two extra mags plus four more in the squad I could get to pretty quickly. 

Didn't stick with 2 guns on my person though after autoloaders.  It was hard enough worrying about securing one gun when wrestling around with some nut let alone trying to keep them from reaching a second gun.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

3 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Didn't stick with 2 guns on my person though after autoloaders.  It was hard enough worrying about securing one gun when wrestling around with some nut let alone trying to keep them from reaching a second gun

That is definitly a serious consideration.  I am nowhere nearly as experienced as a lot of you but my thinking was with something like the NAA .22 completely in my pocket I would not be left completely naked and maybe could get a chance to a least "mark'em" if they end up taking me out.

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

No question in my mind that a decent discussion just went political and bias with remoandiris and ms60ocb last inputs IMO. I won't report it but I suspect it could get the thread locked soon.

I agree, but my observation has been that as long as only their view point is posted on the forum, the thread is not likely to be closed, however, I have also observed that if someone were to post their view on conservative  media or conservative politicians the thread would quickly be closed.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, FL-JOE said:

Not sure if you are serious or not about hauling two guns around on your person.  "Back in the day" as a LEO we carried a 6-shot revolver and 18 extra rounds in belt loops.  Even though with practice I could reload two rounds at a time out of those belt loops that still wasn't much fire power if the sh%* hit the fan.  Many of my brother/sister officers carried a 2" revolver in an ankle holster back then just for additional back-up.

Fast forward to CC weapons that can hold many more rounds plus the fact how easy it would be to carry an extra mag.  I would think it would be silly to carry two firearms under any circumstances.  

Weapon Failure, that's what my back up weapon was for. And if trained up enough on PPCT and street survival tactics ( or what ever they call it these days) No need to wrestle with the crazies.:lol:

I would not dare to question another persons decision to carry back up or not. To each his own for sure.  In the olden days I think the B/U was also the throw down but I want to believe that is never the case any longer.

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

I would not dare to question another persons decision to carry back up or not. To each his own for sure.  In the olden days I think the B/U was also the throw down but I want to believe that is never the case any longer.

That would be true, but only if your opinion is based on TV and movies, not actual experience or reality.  Myself, nor anyone I ever worked with went out and purchased a second firearm to carry on duty thinking we may need it to help ourselves on a bad shooting.  We were simply trying to make sure we got home every night or every morning from our shift.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

That would be true, but only if your opinion is based on TV and movies, not actual experience or reality.  Myself, nor anyone I ever worked with went out and purchased a second firearm to carry on duty thinking we may need it to help ourselves on a bad shooting.  We were simply trying to make sure we got home every night or every morning from our shift.  

X2

Not only that, but once you've worked a couple of shifts in 95F temperatures you learn not to strap on any more gear to your body than absolutely necessary.  :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Not only that, but once you've worked a couple of shifts in 95F temperatures you learn not to strap on any more gear to your body than absolutely necessary.

What cops and gi's carry now certainly commands my sympathy and respect.  Although some of the stuff we humped in my time was a lot. Some of the new gear is certainly lighter than some of ours but there seems to be more of it.  IE: modern combat arms vs older stuff.  If brain is close to working I am thinking there is about a 4# difference between our M14's and M1's and our M16. Plus ammo weight difference allowed for carrying more. That is weight I didn't mind so much humping.

I'm 69 now.  Back, maybe 30 years, I had an uncle who was a mounted cop in a big city.  He had his 2 Shepard's and I swear a horse that was 100' tall!  Anyway, he carried a rifle and and handgun, plus a few others for extra purposes.  I know, I saw.  He patrolled in some not so nice areas in the city's parks.

I'm not saying he used them for anything not so right, but I think the conclusion might be there.

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

On 4/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, bigjim said:

That is definitly a serious consideration.  I am nowhere nearly as experienced as a lot of you but my thinking was with something like the NAA .22 completely in my pocket I would not be left completely naked and maybe could get a chance to a least "mark'em" if they end up taking me out.

Big Jim,

NAA makes a lot of guns. Many .22 LR, some .22 Magnum, and some semi autos. .22 Mag in the longest Black Widow is an alternate carry for me and my car gun. See the videos by this guy on YouTube shooting and testing the 2" Barrel Black Widow .22 Mag for Gel penetration. This one in particular shows the further expansion after going through four layers of new denim before the gel block.

I use only .40 cal S&W pistols, this .40 for my wife https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw-sd40-ve-hi-viz-sights  and for me the M&P Shield https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-40-shield-m20-manual-thumb-safety-ma-compliant to use for self defense pistols. I believe the .22 Mag NAA with 2" Barrel (or any .22 magnum with a 2" barrel or better would do well for a close in/contact head shot entering one side and bouncing around inside without exiting.

We prefer the double action revolvers and pistols only so no nerves can set off a single action trigger in a firefight.

Which model NAA do you have and what caliber?

What barrel length?

For the interesting story of why the FBI had S&W design a custom round for them, go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S%26W

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Oh yeah that one http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/north-american-arms/north-american-arms-mini-revolver-22-magnum-naa-22m.cfm?gun_id=100904507  is like the Black widow just smaller wood grips, shorter barrel, and the sights are not adjustable like the Black Widow's. Great little guns for last ditch defense. The optional LR cylinder makes for inexpensive plinking too. They are tough and accurate little single action revolvers both.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I had one of the same models years ago and fired it regularly.   I was amazed at the accuracy I obtained with it. I thought I didn't need it anymore and sold it to a cop in TN.  years later I decided I needed another so I got one that I have had a lot of years now.  Accuracy of course could fly out the window under stress but maybe not.  When I had my bear incident years ago I was really happy how calm I was able to remain during the incident. Of course as soon as it was over the adrenlin hit and I got conern about having heart attack since I already had a heart issue. (chronic ideopathic cardio-myopathy)  Luckily I didn't have one and got back to normal.  Of course for a couple of weeks the sound of an acorn hitting the asphalt could get me full awake immediatly.:D  I did not use this to scare it away but a round from a glock 26 about 18 inches from its left ear worked. If it had not the next 9 would be full fire for  effect.  I have to admit I have gotten a lot of mileage from telling this tale and probably most think I am full of it but it was all too real.   I really like them bears but from a much greater distance.

• 2 weeks later...

this link is for ccw in all 50 states

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/north-america/united-states/guns-and-travel-us

if i can find it, there are sites that deal with gun ownership, travel through with a gun ( not ccw, just having one).

but yes get into a couple traing classes. learn how to shoot the right way.

and why you should not shoot.

even if you do not really want a ccw. get one any how. if for no other reason then more learning.

and in your travles, practrice.

be safe remember eyes and ears.

aka: eye and ear protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived