Now to buy a gun

Gady

Are you in TX. Are you buying the gun in TX. Most States require you to be a resident in order to purchase a weapon. If you are a TX resident and are purchasing a weapon outside of TX the seller must ship it to a FFL in TX for you to pick it up and take possession in TX. What type of gun do you want to buy? There are different rules for long guns and hand guns. Handguns are more regulated. There are federal rules and state laws. The selling gun store should know all the rules and be able to advise you. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I don't know if a FFL will let you go across state lines and be legal in another state.

For me, I don't want a gun.  See no need for it, but that's me.  I respect your desire forever what reason.

My feeling is that if I have one, it can be taken away and used on me.  Others have a gun, don't load it, and keep ammo in another location.  IMHO, to me that is a worthless use.

Hunting is another thing though.

I just think its safer not to have one.

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

I agree with the above (maybe not Al so much :-) ).  I have a carry permit and have carried for most of my adult life,  kept me safe during 2 BAD situations, still here, no one hurt but the perps learned how to the 100 yd. in well less that record time.

if you do buy a gun, learn how to use it.  most states require a course, range time and class before issuing a CCW (carry permit) but that is basic.  learn how and WHEN to use it and like anything else, practice. 

do it, do it right and be safe.  Different states have different laws regarding carrying and storage  of guns and ammo.  look up the information for each state even if ONLY traveling through that state.  Canada and Mexico are not states (Duhh) and have very dirrerent laws.  Canada requires very specific reasons for entry and paperwork is necessary.  Mexico, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER GOING THERE with a firearm even a loose round of .22 ammo can net you jail time.

have fun in the great outdoors.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

It you are new to handguns before you buy take a onsite NRA basic pistol course you may be able to rent/borrow a pistol to take the course. This will familiarize you with handgun safety/laws and help selecting your purchase, also it may meet the training requirements for a concealed carry license.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

28 minutes ago, mscans said:

I agree with the above (maybe not Al so much :-) ).  I have a carry permit and have carried for most of my adult life,  kept me safe during 2 BAD situations, still here, no one hurt but the perps learned how to the 100 yd. in well less that record time.

if you do buy a gun, learn how to use it.  most states require a course, range time and class before issuing a CCW (carry permit) but that is basic.  learn how and WHEN to use it and like anything else, practice. 

do it, do it right and be safe.  Different states have different laws regarding carrying and storage  of guns and ammo.  look up the information for each state even if ONLY traveling through that state.  Canada and Mexico are not states (Duhh) and have very dirrerent laws.  Canada requires very specific reasons for entry and paperwork is necessary.  Mexico, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER GOING THERE with a firearm even a loose round of .22 ammo can net you jail time.

have fun in the great outdoors.

Don't disagree 100%.  Living in some big and little cities I've seen over and over, and the type of jobs I've had,  how people get hurt by their own hand.

As long as a person does what they do to get the necessary training I don't have a problem.

Question, though, because I don't know, I guess the FFL is a Federal Firearms License.  Will that allow to take a gun across state lines without worrying about that state?

Al

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

1 hour ago, CapeMayAl said:

Don't disagree 100%.  Living in some big and little cities I've seen over and over, and the type of jobs I've had,  how people get hurt by their own hand.

As long as a person does what they do to get the necessary training I don't have a problem.

Question, though, because I don't know, I guess the FFL is a Federal Firearms License.  Will that allow to take a gun across state lines without worrying about that state?

Al

The FFL is what the gun dealer has that allows them to sell firearms.  It is not something the purchaser has/needs.  

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

If you have a Tx dL and have declared Tx as your state of residence, then go to any Tx gun store, pawn shop or farm store and buy your firearm. You will fill out paperwork and they will process it. Part of the process is a background check. If you check out, you get your firearm. If you get a License To Carry, you don’t have to wait, you pay and carry it out at that time. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I don’t recall the OP asking anything about a CCW. The question asked is how to purchase a hand gun. If you are a TX resident you can buy anywhere in TX as long as you pass the background check. If you are a TX resident and buy outside of TX the seller must ship the hand gun to an FFL in TX who will deliver the gun to you in TX, again after you pass a background chec, Federal Law.  (Long guns (rifles and shotguns) may be purchased out of state in some states. A FFL is a federal liscense to sell guns and is issued to the seller. You do not need a CCW to have a weapon in your home/motorhome ( Heller vs DC, Supream Court decision 2008)  You do need a CCW if you plan to carry your hand gun. You can get a TX CCW, or a Florida or Utah non resident  CCW even as a TX resident and most all states (not all) will give you reciprocity. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

9 hours ago, CapeMayAl said:

Al

I am originally from NYC (a big city) on;y criminals and police had guns.  I was shot at twice there, unsuccessfully, probably didn't practice.  Moved to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (also a fairly large metropolis) where I got my concealed carry permit (a CCW not FFL which is a license to sell and deal with guns and gun parts) It is also where owning and carrying a gun saved my life twice.  not a second hand story but to ME. 

The CCW is a permit that allows one to carry a concealed weapon be it a gun, knife, sword, club etc. legally, whatever, it MUST be concealed, open display will get one arrested and result in the loss of the permit..  It requires, in Florida at least, class time, range time, fingerprint check by the FBI and background check (don't remember if local or FBI).  It is also a fun sport that  I have introduced to my son and daughter, who is a better shot than I am BTW.

Two toes is right about the carry across state lines but check because these laws change often and you don't want to be on the wrong side of that situation.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

Texas doesn’t have a gun license like some states do. If you are talking about a CCW (license to carry) you need a gun for the class. You will also need to do a course of fire, 50 rounds total. There is also a written test. This is only the first time, renewals are done on line. I recommend going to a gun show. Do not plan on purchasing a handgun. Go with the purpose of handling as many as you can. You want one that falls into your hand. You will then know which one to purchase. If you are in the panhandle are, Geboes has some of tstanding prices. Also look at pawn shops. Many In The smaller areas are also new gun dealers. I purchased a 45 at Cabellas, known for their high prices. After the military discount and the discount for applying and using a Cabellas card, I purchased for less than anyone else was willing to sell for. I then paid off the card and cancelled it. I only wanted the discount. Enjoy the search, don’t let it stress you out. Also if there is a Sportsman’s warehouse near you, they have very good prices.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Some people don't like guns or see the need to own one. That is their right. Some people don't believe in God and that's entirely their choice, too. However, when someone directly threatens their lives or the ones they love, guaranteed, the first two things they are going to do are:

1. Call someone with a gun.
2. Pray they get there in time.

I, for one, don't ever plan on having a fire in my vehicle or home, but I sure as heck own more than one fire extinguisher, too. :D

As for the OP. There's been some good info. Your domicile being the key, not your mailing address. If you hold a valid TX state ID you're good to go. If you were asking if your mail forwarding address qualifies you for the purpose of purchasing and taking possession of a firearm in TX, then no. It alone does not.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, mscans said:

I am originally from NYC (a big city) on;y criminals and police had guns.  I was shot at twice there, unsuccessfully, probably didn't practice.  Moved to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (also a fairly large metropolis) where I got my concealed carry permit (a CCW not FFL which is a license to sell and deal with guns and gun parts) It is also where owning and carrying a gun saved my life twice.  not a second hand story but to ME. 

The CCW is a permit that allows one to carry a concealed weapon be it a gun, knife, sword, club etc. legally, whatever, it MUST be concealed, open display will get one arrested and result in the loss of the permit..  It requires, in Florida at least, class time, range time, fingerprint check by the FBI and background check (don't remember if local or FBI).  It is also a fun sport that  I have introduced to my son and daughter, who is a better shot than I am BTW.

Two toes is right about the carry across state lines but check because these laws change often and you don't want to be on the wrong side of that situation.

You are certainly having a lifetime of bad luck.  I completed 34 years in law enforcement, part of which was in an undercover drug task force, and never got shot at.   Maybe you should carry two guns?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

58 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

You are certainly having a lifetime of bad luck.  I completed 34 years in law enforcement, part of which was in an undercover drug task force, and never got shot at.   Maybe you should carry two guns?

FL- JOE thanks for all of your years of service. I wasn't as lucky as you and had to carry a back up weapon all the time even while on rest days. I lived and worked in the same area investigating and hunting down some of the worst of humanity in NYC all its boroughs and the worst parts of NJ in Hudson and Essex county. It happens with this density of population, being shot at in certain areas isn't that uncommon. When I was a young detective and serving a warrant in what we called the projects in Newark, I can remember being shot at from the roof top from one of  these buildings ( a couple of buildings clumped together  several stories tall ). We called it in, slipped behind a brick building on the corner and waited for the troops to arrive. I have dozens of stories that involve craziness both with and without weapons, I realize most citizens can't imagine stuff like this but this was normal for me.  I think about this now and normal was insanity back then, but it is what is and you must deal with it to do your job. I trying to live my life like the average citizen these days and if I don't have to ever draw my weapon again for the remainder of my life it would be too soon.

18 hours ago, Yarome said:

Some people don't like guns or see the need to own one. That is their right. Some people don't believe in God and that's entirely their choice, too. However, when someone directly threatens their lives or the ones they love, guaranteed, the first two things they are going to do are:

1. Call someone with a gun.
2. Pray they get there in time.

I, for one, don't ever plan on having a fire in my vehicle or home, but I sure as heck own more than one fire extinguisher, too. :D

As for the OP. There's been some good info. Your domicile being the key, not your mailing address. If you hold a valid TX state ID you're good to go. If you were asking if your mail forwarding address qualifies you for the purpose of purchasing and taking possession of a firearm in TX, then no. It alone does not.

Agree. May be "old school" but you have to look after your family and yourself. Shouldn't have to rely on someone else to do it for you. "the times they are a changin'".

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

On 3/30/2018 at 6:53 AM, FL-JOE said:

Maybe you should carry two guns?

In recent years in NM I have carried 2 based on my Tx concealed carry permit.  Then I found out that I was afoul of their law by carrying 2. (one was the No. Am. Arms 22 and the other was the rugar 380)

I have the NAA "Black Widow" .22 Magnum and I also have the fitted .22 long rifle cylinder for it.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=black+widow+.22+mag&id=A3814F6DAD10A183EA706B47B05947F99A2667FD&FORM=IQFRBA

I have since bought an S&W M&P Shield in .40 caliber with an inside pants holster for the back.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/06/smith-and-wesson-m-shield-40-s-review.html

I still have the Black Widow as well as my original Beretta 96 in .40 cal. With the same Pachmeyer Grips I bought for and used on my active duty carry Beretta 92 9mm. 

https://www.gunsamerica.com/919853041/BERETTA-96A1-40CAL-USED.htm

I have a 20 ga Remington 870 for backup. I may buy the combat stock system for it later. 

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express

Then for fun a Savage Model 24C Camper's special over and under .22LR over 20 ga.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/everything-want-know-savage-24-combination-rifle-shotgun/

Ruger 10-22Blue, standard wood stock with two stock magazines and three 25 rd mags

My wife has the Stainless S&W SD40 VE Double Action only:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw-sd40-ve-std-capacity

She can out shoot me with my own .45 back in the day after I taught her to shoot long before she became a deputy. But she likes the double action on every pull because then she won't be jerking the trigger on the second shot as much. Safer too as it is not cocked internally for mistakes when her finger is on the trigger in ready stance.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 3/28/2018 at 5:19 PM, Twotoes said:

I don’t recall the OP asking anything about a CCW....... You do not need a CCW to have a weapon in your home/motorhome ( Heller vs DC, Supream Court decision 2008)  You do need a CCW if you plan to carry your hand gun. You can get a TX CCW, or a Florida or Utah non resident  CCW even as a TX resident and most all states (not all) will give you reciprocity. 

I'd still suggest the OP obtain a CCW. I think it's a question if you can carry a fire arm in ones motor home. When parked it's your home, but on the road? Also where in the MH? How about in the tow vehicle and a fifth wheel? Having a valid CCW eases the question if it comes up. One can also keep the fire arm out of sight in a vehicle, or in a pack while heading for a hike. The minimal training needed for a CCW is useful, maybe not adequate but better than nothing. Also, the rules vary state to state. Obtain California is particularly strict. Be aware as you travel state to state.

Thanks.

Hugh

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, FL-JOE said:

Who says I don't?

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

Not sure if you are serious or not about hauling two guns around on your person.  "Back in the day" as a LEO we carried a 6-shot revolver and 18 extra rounds in belt loops.  Even though with practice I could reload two rounds at a time out of those belt loops that still wasn't much fire power if the sh%* hit the fan.  Many of my brother/sister officers carried a 2" revolver in an ankle holster back then just for additional back-up.

Fast forward to CC weapons that can hold many more rounds plus the fact how easy it would be to carry an extra mag.  I would think it would be silly to carry two firearms under any circumstances.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

17 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

"Back in the day" as a LEO we carried a 6-shot revolver and 18 extra rounds in belt loops.  Even though with practice I could reload two rounds at a time out of those belt loops that still wasn't much fire power if the sh%* hit the fan. 

You must go back a long ways Joe.  Even when we still used revolvers, speed loaders have been around for over 40 years.  :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived