Hwy 2

NDBirdman

Better half and I are contemplating towing our camper from Grand Forks, ND to Seattle, WA sometime this summer/early fall.  I was thinking of taking hiway 2 all the way across, staying off the big concrete ribbons (big/fast interstates).  Has anyone ran this hiway?  Is it a good road all the way across or pot hole hell?  Any sections/areas to avoid?    Is there any steep/hard grades to avoid?  Looks like there is a lot of places to stay along the way, alot of free or cheap campsites along the route using Free Campsites.

The only place I think might be avoided is Glacier National Park?  Not doing this trip to visit the park at the moment, it's just between us and our daughter for now.  From what I've read it is crowded/steep/very hard to find a place to stay.  Our dates are not written in stone so making reservations is, at this time, not possible.  We like the idea of traveling with no written in stone place to stay or see, we like to just wanderlust, stop/see what hits our fancy at the time.  I hate crowds/city type bumper to bumper driving so if need be, we can change the route to avoid that area.  Also would like to start/finish the trip without having to worry about the higher elevations dropping that ugly, nasty white slushy/hard stuff on our heads so is there a time of year to avoid this route?

What say ya'll?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Highway 2 doesn't go through Glacier,  rather run along the south edge of the park; no tackling the "Going To The Sun" road. :D

Trucks run that road all of the time.  Early  September would be the best time to go, assuming that you aren't trying to make it a round trip.   If round trip, then move it up to August and expect more crowds all over the northwest.  Also, where are you going to stay in the Seattle area?  Another RV Park on the north side of Seattle (Lakeside RV Resort) quit taking short term stays - monthly only with a 6 month waiting list to get in.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Was thinking about a place called Gold Bar.  We are going to visit Kenmore which shows about 45-50 minute drive.  We can stay at this campground for a max of 14 days from what I see.  It will be a round trip so early august sounds good to me.  There is also a place in Bothell, Lake Pleasant, is that a hard place to get into for a week?  I get the feeling that's a long term park that needs a reservation a few months ahead of time?  Wanted to check that place out for when my wife retires, we could spend a couple months or so there at a time.

If we do make it there for a couple months at a time, we will probably rent a small car for that duration, I have drove Seattle a few times, no way will I drive the dually in that city as a daily driver!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

56 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

Better half and I are contemplating towing our camper from Grand Forks, ND to Seattle, WA sometime this summer/early fall.  I was thinking of taking hiway 2 all the way across, staying off the big concrete ribbons (big/fast interstates). 

The last time we drove this road (it's been a few years), it was a good road.

US-2 goes through the middle of Spokane, WA.  You'll go south to I-90 and then go west on I-90 a short distance before taking the exit that will get you back onto US-2.

If you follow US-2 all the way to I-5, it puts you into Everett, north of Seattle.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Was thinking about a place called Gold Bar.  We are going to visit Kenmore which shows about 45-50 minute drive.  We can stay at this campground for a max of 14 days from what I see.  It will be a round trip so early august sounds good to me.  There is also a place in Bothell, Lake Pleasant, is that a hard place to get into for a week?  I get the feeling that's a long term park that needs a reservation a few months ahead of time?  Wanted to check that place out for when my wife retires, we could spend a couple months or so there at a time.

If we do make it there for a couple months at a time, we will probably rent a small car for that duration, I have drove Seattle a few times, no way will I drive the dually in that city as a daily driver!

Lake Pleasant is booked for the summer.  Really hard to find places to stay in the Seattle area.    You might want to look at the Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe - you can get one week each month there.  20 minutes from Gold Bar.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

15 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Lake Pleasant is booked for the summer.  Really hard to find places to stay in the Seattle area.    You might want to look at the Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe - you can get one week each month there.  20 minutes from Gold Bar.

Had a feeling it would be.  I think it's pretty close to where my daughter lives in Kenmore.  We will at least go through there/check it out on our next trip.  I will probably stop in and talk to management when we go there.  When she starts having kids, we, including them, are hoping for grandkids in the next year or 2.  If that happens, I might be interested in leaving this camper at Lake Pleasant year round.  That way will have a place to stay on the many trips/long stays there.  Maybe.. LOL.  There is a lot of crime/transients that might do damage to our camper during that time.  Maybe pay for yearly spot and just use it when we go there.  Lots of options, wife still working and I'm still working on camper.... having more fun than should be allowed!

Archived