Heartland 4100 King bent axle.

chief916

Stuck and hard broke at the Flying J in Blacksburg SC just off the 85.  Stopped to get some chow and take a break coming back from Atlanta enroute to Snow Hill NC.  Doing my usual thru flight on the truck and coach and noticed that on the right side wheels on the middle and aft axle we're touching each other.  I slow rolled to the next parking spot and checked it again..DW said that you could not see daylight.  Went over to Flying J truck maintenance facility...

More to Follow.   Getting the low down now.

Atlanta highways are just as bad as Little Rock. 

Triple axles are bad for that. 

I hope you get it fixed soon. 

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

infoshot, what does this have to do with triple axles.  First question should be what type suspension and axles.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Happened to us many years ago with spring suspension. The right rear wheel had the forward shackle break, allowing axle to shift forward and contact center tire. Roadside service arrived, used Port-a-Power to move rear axle back to proper position, welded shackle back on. We followed them to shop, got two tires, ate lunch all for $600. Went to Elkhart soon after for Mor/Ryde IS, no more problems.

Jim

On 3/27/2018 at 3:48 PM, chief916 said:

Stuck and hard broke at the Flying J in Blacksburg SC just off the 85.  Stopped to get some chow and take a break coming back from Atlanta enroute to Snow Hill NC.  Doing my usual thru flight on the truck and coach and noticed that on the right side wheels on the middle and aft axle we're touching each other.  I slow rolled to the next parking spot and checked it again..DW said that you could not see daylight.  Went over to Flying J truck maintenance facility...

More to Follow.   Getting the low down now.

I Do Not Believe this....  I submitted a rather large summation of what was and did happen with this axle problem that happened yesterday...AT LENGTH... several hours ago only to come back at almost 23:00 hrs...errr...11pm...tonight and there is no mention of it or of what might have happened to it.   Did the website take a dump over the last several hours???  Gee whiz,,,,so disappointed.  I really wanted to convey how those guys at the Flying J truck maintenance shop on I-85 in Blacksburg SC really stepped up to the plate to help me and the DW out.

Many of the HDT crowed are on the FB group and don't post here anymore.  

As far as the axles, I assume you broke a hanger bolt or shackle, letting the tires move together.  I'm guessing that the Flying J guys were able to locate a trailer supply and cobble something together for ya?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

As far as the axles, I assume you broke a hanger bolt or shackle, letting the tires move together.  I'm guessing that the Flying J guys were able to locate a trailer supply and cobble something together for ya?

Jim, a lot of them have moved but Facebook is not searchable like the forums are and I wish they would post items that need to be retrieved later here instead of Facebook. Probably won't happen though.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Jim...I don't know about FB but no...no broken hangers or shackles.  The axle is bent thus forcing the right center wheel aft to come into contact with the right rear wheel.  Flying J guys did find a RV dealer but had to order the axle.  They don't keep an inventory...that's what the factory told the Flying J guys.  7 to 10 days lead time for manufacture and shipping.  They will call me when it's installed and ready.

Hi Chief,

I hope you can get your trailer fixed. A question comes to mind for me. What caused the axle to bend in the first place ? Will it happen again to the new axle ?

Good luck on the repair,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 3/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Chief,

I hope you can get your trailer fixed. A question comes to mind for me. What caused the axle to bend in the first place ? Will it happen again to the new axle ?

Good luck on the repair,
Al

Hi Al... can't say for sure what caused it except maybe some bad roads around Alpharetta GA also  there are places out on the interstate that are really nasty.  Oh and with out a doubt... I-40 west out of Little Rock....those guys that run the state should be ashamed.  This was the first time we had loaded our smart car into the back.  I seriously doubt that was the problem cause I had noticed quite sometime ago that something wasn't right.  I could barely slip my index finger in between the 2 tires.  Saw some conversations on the HDT thread awhile back and a few thoughts I gleaned from it was that they have and I have correct track and that the problem would correct on it's own.  I'm just glad that we have a 100 mile rule to stop rest and thruflight the coach and rig before we roll on.  That's when I caught the problem...had I not done what I did there's no doubt that things would have gotten really ugly real fast out there on the interstate.  30 some miles to Charlotte NC and massive road construction everywhere.....I don't need that stress.

Ben

Oh yeah....they got the axle on order and will install it when it comes in.  Then it's a 250 mile bobtail back to pick it up.

Hi Ben,

Have a safe trip to pick up your trailer.

Hope to see you some time on the road.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, chief916 said:

Jim...I don't know about FB but no...no broken hangers or shackles.  The axle is bent thus forcing the right center wheel aft to come into contact with the right rear wheel.  Flying J guys did find a RV dealer but had to order the axle.  They don't keep an inventory...that's what the factory told the Flying J guys.  7 to 10 days lead time for manufacture and shipping.  They will call me when it's installed and ready.

Well it's now 15 days almost 16 days and no axle from heartland....nothing I like better than to be broke down for this amount of time and be 250 miles from home.  I bobtailed home and am still waiting for the axle in Blacksburg SC.  Thank God I wasn't on the other side of the contenent 1500 miles from home.  My Air Force maintainer attitude is starting to spool up so I will stop for now before I lose my religion and say something I'll regret later.

Ben

10 hours ago, chief916 said:

Well it's now 15 days almost 16 days and no axle from heartland....nothing I like better than to be broke down for this amount of time and be 250 miles from home.  I bobtailed home and am still waiting for the axle in Blacksburg SC.  Thank God I wasn't on the other side of the contenent 1500 miles from home.  My Air Force maintainer attitude is starting to spool up so I will stop for now before I lose my religion and say something I'll regret later.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Keep the faith. I know it's hard to do. Have you talked to everyone from Heartland ? Maybe give them a call and see where your axle is. 

Wish you the best,
Al

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Ben,

Keep the faith. I know it's hard to do. Have you talked to everyone from Heartland ? Maybe give them a call and see where your axle is. 

Wish you the best,
Al

Thanks Al for the input but no I have not because I really don't know who to talk to or what to say.  The coach has been locked up in a maintenance bay at the Flying J truck stop since last week in March.  The general manager wants it inside to protect it.  One of his mechanics grandparents own a small RV facility.  They ordered it and it should ship to them and then Jeremy the general manager will go pick it up and take it to the Flying J facility for installation.  I don't know who the grandparents are or what they're business name is.  Jeremy the GM told me to call anytime for updates.  Really a nice guy and very accommodating.  The coach is in his facility taking up a bay so I think it best to let him call the shots from there.  Will post again when I hear back from him.

Ben

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Ben,

Wish you the best,
Al

I doubt that Heartland is the axle manufacturer. Are they not Dexter axles? There are plenty of sources for axles besides the manufacturer of the trailer. Heartland probably has to order them from the axle manufacturer and then send them on to you adding an unnecessary extra step to the process.

WOW!! sorry for the trouble, Sounds like Flying J is trying to help.

But, can you answer these questions.

Name of Grandparents business.

1. name / address / phone#

2. axil order # and invoice #

3.  written status of order via/both from Grandparents business and other end

4. has Flying J looked at axil to determine manufacture

5. have you asked flying J about/pending storage charges

maybe with these answered we can help steer you in the right direction.

If they can't find the axle you need, maybe have them call Grand Forks ND Welding?  I was in there yesterday, they have a lot of Dexter axles.  I was in there yesterday and they have lots of them piled up for sale.  I was looking at a 6k axle.  They do a lot of trailer work, maybe they could get one sent off their shelves?  Just a thought.  Good luck.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:29 AM, staffnon said:

WOW!! sorry for the trouble, Sounds like Flying J is trying to help.

But, can you answer these questions.

Name of Grandparents business.

1. name / address / phone#

2. axil order # and invoice #

3.  written status of order via/both from Grandparents business and other end

4. has Flying J looked at axil to determine manufacture

5. have you asked flying J about/pending storage charges

maybe with these answered we can help steer you in the right direction.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:11 PM, NoDirectionHome said:

chief916... AOG!!! I would be calling minimum once a day!  The only way to make you stop calling, SHIP the DARN PART!

Talked with the general manager this morning and mentioned all of what you all had mentioned.  He told me they went straight to Dexter for the axle.  It's been built and awaiting shipment.  He told me I could call but he doubted if they would talk to me about it cause he had ordered and paid for it already from flying j.  He has been on the horn everyday to Dexter about getting it out.  He told me that once the shipment dropped and he had a tracking number he would send it to me.  I really feel he has my best interest at heart.  Hopefully I will be making a trip to Blacksburg to get the coach and the smart car.  More to follow later.

TRUE STORY Been a few year but had a bowed axle on trailer and on longer trips and hot days would start peeling rubber from tires. Trailer manufacture just gave me a run around. Called Dexter. Guy says send us just axle for inspection and run hardness test. Wrapped ends in cardboard and took too UPS Distrubition Center. Girls charges me $5.96 (true story)  Dexter calls in a few days and says your new axle is on its way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we finally got the axle installed and the DW and I set out to S.C. to pick up our TH.  Those guys at the Flying J maintenance facility did a great job.  They did their best to make sure all the wheels were as close as possible to being lined up but that I should find an alignment shop once I get home.  Not a whole lot of choices around Eastern N.C. to find.  Will probably need to take it to Raleigh.  Either way it's home now and am just happy to be here.  Thanks to all of you for your support and advice and well wishes.  Thanks to Jeremy Phelps and his crew of truck maintenance guys for putting me at ease and taking care of us.  If you ever need road maintenance down around Blacksburg SC... Those are the guys you want to call.  Hope to see you all out on the road

Ben 

14 hours ago, chief916 said:

Well we finally got the axle installed and the DW and I set out to S.C. to pick up our TH.  Those guys at the Flying J maintenance facility did a great job.  They did their best to make sure all the wheels were as close as possible to being lined up but that I should find an alignment shop once I get home.  Not a whole lot of choices around Eastern N.C. to find.  Will probably need to take it to Raleigh.  Either way it's home now and am just happy to be here.  Thanks to all of you for your support and advice and well wishes.  Thanks to Jeremy Phelps and his crew of truck maintenance guys for putting me at ease and taking care of us.  If you ever need road maintenance down around Blacksburg SC... Those are the guys you want to call.  Hope to see you all out on the road

Ben 

Hi Chief,

It is good the hear that your trailer is home.

Be safe at there,
Al

Archived