Using a FS-1 sat finder with Dish Network

We have been full time for over 7 years and I have never had a need for a sat finder.  I am using a 1000.2 and it is currently feeding a Hopper3 and is mounted to a surveyor's tripod using the mounting kit (mount/scale/compass) purchased from tv4rv.com. I use SatFinderLite app (free) to look at sats to make sure no obstruction. Normally takes 10-15 minutes to set up.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Thanks.  I was going to use that method and see how things worked out, but opted to buy a used Super Buddy instead.  Just got it home.  If it turns out I don't need it, I'm pretty sure I can get my money back on it.  The seller accepted a reasonable offer.

So didn't even look at an FS-1 in person.

I can attest that the FS-1 is not compatible with the Hopper 3 Hybrid LNBF.  The FS-1 was great until the Hopper 3 came along.

After a lot of research, I found the only certified meter for the Hybrid LNBF was the Supper Buddy 29 and follow on Applied Instrument  products.  While pricey, it does a fabulous job of aligning dishes.

I bought a used one and had the factory change the battery and the faceplate.  My investment was well less than a new X3.

I know that people claim that they can aim a dish using a smartphone display.  But since there is no physical relationship with the dish, the apps are good for insuring there is a clear view for the dish.  Nothing keeps you from locking on the wrong satellite in the 19 degree spread.

With the Super Buddy, you get a quick lock and the satellite is identified.  Best investment after the Trav'ler for Dish. Yes, we have a Trav'ler and use the Super Buddy because we use the EA satellites when in the east and use the ground tripod for that.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

46 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

No beeps?  DTV put theirs back.

What is this relative to?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Are you talking about audio indicators for signal strength.  If you are you sure weren't clear.

If that is how you aim a dish, then you live a lucky life. I have set up 200' from the RV and the sound doesn't carry very well at that distance.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

On 4/2/2018 at 1:12 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Are you talking about audio indicators for signal strength.  If you are you sure weren't clear.

If that is how you aim a dish, then you live a lucky life. I have set up 200' from the RV and the sound doesn't carry very well at that distance.

Lucky? I have never had to set up that far away.  I was very happy when DTV put the beeps back in their HD receivers.  Using a camera or a meter was workable, but just another PITA.  

Archived