Went for a ride today - SRC System

Av8r3400

Fired up the HDT today to give her a decent drive and drop it off at the dealer for a short squawk list.

I drove the truck a good 75 miles to nowhere and back, got up to temperature real nice and she was running like a champ.  I got back home and did a little electrical in the cab (fixed an inoperable 12 volt power plug in the dash and installed a CB) in preparation for the ECR trip in a few weeks.  When I was done, the wife followed me down to the dealer with the truck (30 miles) to have a few items taken care of (DEF, coolant, fuel filters, replace a level valve in the front suspension and diagnose an inoperable fridge).

I have had the truck a little less than a year now and have put on about 5000 miles.  Other than the starter, it's run great with no issues.

Just before I got to the dealer this afternoon, I got a check engine lite with the screen "SRC System Fault - Will de-rate in <60 minutes".  SRC is the DEF/DPF system, right?  

I parked at the dealer without issue.  Shut down and restarted to see if the code repeated and it did.  Is this a part failure issue or a re-gen issue?  I have never "requested" a parked re-gen or even noticed a re-gen while driving.  Is this normal or do I need to manually re-gen every so often?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

SCR is short-hand for Selective Catalytic Reduction. The Catalytic convertor system is part of the equation, as is the DEF injection system. Good luck.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Fired up the HDT today to give her a decent drive and drop it off at the dealer for a short squawk list.

I drove the truck a good 75 miles to nowhere and back, got up to temperature real nice and she was running like a champ.  I got back home and did a little electrical in the cab (fixed an inoperable 12 volt power plug in the dash and installed a CB) in preparation for the ECR trip in a few weeks.  When I was done, the wife followed me down to the dealer with the truck (30 miles) to have a few items taken care of (DEF, coolant, fuel filters, replace a level valve in the front suspension and diagnose an inoperable fridge).

I have had the truck a little less than a year now and have put on about 5000 miles.  Other than the starter, it's run great with no issues.

Just before I got to the dealer this afternoon, I got a check engine lite with the screen "SRC System Fault - Will de-rate in <60 minutes".  SRC is the DEF/DPF system, right?  

I parked at the dealer without issue.  Shut down and restarted to see if the code repeated and it did.  Is this a part failure issue or a re-gen issue?  I have never "requested" a parked re-gen or even noticed a re-gen while driving.  Is this normal or do I need to manually re-gen every so often?

We have been researching the aftertreatment section of the Volvo world and from what we have found, you are not supposed to initiate a manual Regen unless receiving a message on the data display on the dash.

As a disclaimer, your truck, being a 2012, is different from what we are dealing with, a 2008, so my info could be wrong for your truck.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Well sir, I have had the same problem with a 2010 VNL730.  The regen sensor was shot and would not allow the truck to regenerate.  All attempts at a parked regeneration request failed.  I was 124 miles north of Las Vegas on US 93 when the DPF packed up and shut the truck down.  This was a costly lesson in keeping track of regenerations.  Also a lesson in having a good roadside assistance policy - ours covered the $1,100 towing bill.  

I would suggest you explain the issue to the dealer, since you are sitting nearby.  Of all the issues you listed needing attention, this is the most lmportant.  De-rating means the Diesel Particulant Filter will pack up and the truck will protect itself by shutting down very soon.  Don’t trust that one hour before de-rating will happen.  When the filter packs up, in one hour or ten minutes, the truck will de-rate, giving you just enough mobility to get off the road at a crawl.  If you drive an I shift, that’s what the “M” on the shift lever gear selection is for, limping off the road.  

The best of luck,

John

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Derate in regards to SCR is either the 5mph "safe harbor" derate (takes a key cycle or a fuel re-fill, etc) or the 55mph 20-40% torque reduction derate.  It takes hundreds and hundreds of warned miles to get to that point, but that is what the dash is trying to tell you.  There should be a section in your owners manual that describes the SCR derates and dash warnings that'll be specific to the right truck (I dunno Volvos). 

Happening 70 miles into a trip after being parked for a long time would suggest a DEF concentration problem or a NOx sensor that got wet and died or a DEF crusty that got somewhere it shouldn't be or corrosion in the DEF harness connectors, and on and on.  Only pulling codes leads to the right direction.  The only manual parked regen that does affect it is the short desorb regen if you idle all night but I don't think that started until 2013.  The truck will tell you when it wants it and it'll only happen parked anyways.

They'll have to fix it before they can change the DEF filter or they won't be able to re-prime it, so you'll know soon enough what the trouble is.

6 hours ago, Scrap said:

....  There should be a section in your owners manual that describes the SCR derates and dash warnings that'll be specific to the right truck ...

the "whaat?"  :D

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If derate,- unplug the vehicle speed sensor located at the output shaft on the tranny above the yoke. Can go as fast as u want as far as u want!

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

15 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Hi Av8r,

Please let us know what you find out. That info could help someone else out. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

X2 on the VSS. That trick has saved a lot of truckers big $$$$$!

Make sure the dealer verifies the “ fix” has been done to the location and orientation of your “NOX” sensors. There was a problem with water intrusion. Might also have bad DPF or bad DPF sensor , pump or clogged filter as noted earlier. 

5 hours ago, Tom & Karen said:

If derate,- unplug the vehicle speed sensor located at the output shaft on the tranny above the yoke. Can go as fast as u want as far as u want!

Saw that on YouTube, too.  I'm keeping that in my pocket for future reference...

I put this topic up as a reference to future owners if this happens to them.  I'm hoping for crusty DEF or injector.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

FYI, disconnecting the speed sensor didn't remove the derate from my 2013 730 with a D13.  It got me going again, but I was all the way to the floor and down to 45 MPH on some of the hills on eastbound I-40 heading toward Nashville.  Replacing both NOx sensors and the DEF filter solved the issue for me but it wasn't cheap.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

To close the loop on this:  The problem was the hard line going from the DEF tank to the pump.  It had corroded and broken at the top of the tank and the pump was "failing to prime" which threw the code.  The line was spendy, $350, but it could have been worse with a bad DPF or multiple sensors or whatever...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The SCR light came on while en route to the dealer for some other maintenance.  

I told them of the light and they found and repaired the issue.

I suspect the corroded line is nothing new to folks operating in the great white north where there is snow and ice along with the corrosive highway ice treatments.  Something to keep an eye on.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Archived