Gas Prop on Bed Base

The base of my bed lifts up for storage, and the gas props have locked in place (UP!).  I don't normally lift the base that high but was in the process of replacing the mattress and it just happened.  I don't know whether they are supposed to lock (If so can someone tell me how to unlock them?) or if I will need to remove them completely in order to get the bed frame down and the new mattress down.

Of course this happened two days before I am scheduled to leave on a trip - so would appreciate any advice.

Remove one of them and take it to your auto supply store to see if they can match it up with what they have in stock.  You may find you have only one of them stuck.  If you have to, use a stick to hold up the bed, and if you can't get new gas struts, take them both out and you should be able to find them online.

Is there a  little metal tab that slides on the chrome shaft if so lift on the bed and pivot the tab until you can slide it up the shaft. That tab would be down at the big part of the strut

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I had the same problem when I replaced my mattress.  The shock is very strong to lift the bed with the mattress.  I had to push down VERY hard to get it back down.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

PROBLEM SOLVED.  As several pointed out the props are very strong in order to lift the mattresses, so the solution was to PUSH DOWN HARDER.  I did and the bed base lowered.  

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, I'm glad this was an easy fix for a change.

OKWaterdog.

Archived