Best travel trailer for family of 5 towing with Toyota 4Runner?

EMHackworth

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a travel trailer to tow with a 2018 Toyota 4Runner (towing capacity of 5,000). The only caveat is that we have three kids, ages 5, 3, and 2, so it needs to actually sleep 5.  It seems like we need to stay under 3,500 pounds or so.  Can anyone recommend a travel trailer that would fit the bill?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by EMHackworth

Have you considered a tent trailer? Most of them have two large beds. And many of us started out with those when our kids were young, although our daughter was eight when we bought ours.

Here's a website that can help you learn about them: http://www.camperreport.com/21-things-know-buying-pop-tent-trailer/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There are several small travel trailers that weigh less than 4000# but they are also quite small for a family with 3 children. These trailers tend to have the best of both worlds, if the tent trailers do not work.

3892-JayFeather18_19XUD_34FrontExtended.

The other alternative might be to go with a tent trailer as suggested by Linda.

3890-Jaysport_12SC_profile_web_V2.jpg

Either of these should be towable with your Toyota and stay under safe weight and they also cost less than the later, complete travel trailers. In addition, the tent trailers are much easier to tow since they have so much less wind drag when closed up for travel. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

How you plan to use your camper may influence your choice. Will it be for just weekend/vacation use? How much gear/cargo will you need to be carrying (volume and weight)? Will you require onboard bath and toilet facilities? Does each child need their own bed/bunk? Will you be in conditions that will require heating or air conditioning? These a just a few of the questions to ask yourself when evaluating potential trailers.

There is more to consider than just maximum towing capacity when matching a trailer and tow vehicle. The online specifications for the 2018 4 runner do not list the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). This is the maximum weight that the vehicle and trailer can weigh. It may be less than the sum of the tow vehicle's GVWR and maximum tow rating and should be on the sticker inside the driver's door. Since you have the 4 runner, load it up with a full tank of fuel, the whole family and every thing that you will carry in the vehicle and go get it weighed. Subtract that number from the GCWR and you will have the real maximum tow capability for your circumstances. Subtracting that same weight from the GVWR of the 4 runner will tell you how much capacity you have left for the trailer tongue weight and additional cargo. This calculator may help you keep all the capacities within limits.

Another consideration is the relationship between trailer length and the wheelbase of the tow vehicle which for the 4 runner is just over 109 inches. Here is an article that discusses this.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

Edited by trailertraveler

Thanks everyone! I hadn't considered popup/tent trailers, but I will definitely research them, since it seems they would give us a little more room without adding a lot of weight.  We would mainly be using this for weekend camping trips.  I'd like to have a toilet and shower if possible, but I realize that's asking a lot given the weight we are trying to stay under. 

We simply put a bucket type port-a-pot in our tent trailer. Lined with a strong plastic bag we just emptied it with the trash. I suggest you get one that sits inside a holder as those are more stable for use by kids. I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Portable-Lightweight-Self-Contained/dp/B000FIDZLI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1521918472&sr=8-5&keywords=portable+toilet

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, EMHackworth said:

I'd like to have a toilet and shower if possible, but I realize that's asking a lot given the weight we are trying to stay under. 

While some of the tent-trailers do have both toilets and showers, I really think that you should probably look at the hybrids like shown in the first picture as those pretty much always have them. This one from KZ has three outboard beds , a shower and toilet with a gross weight of 4500# when fully loaded. This one has two outboard beds, a small slide with shower and toilet and gross weight of 3500#.

Here is a Jayco that has 3 outboard beds, with toilet & shower and gross weight of 4500# while this Jayco model of hybrid has 2 outboard beds and the shower & potty and weighs in at 3900#.

There are several other companies that build hybrid RVs which I think will probably serve you well. We started out with our 3 boys with tent-trailers and did well but we didn't have the toilet and shower and those are not common in tent trailers. Our youngest son has owned a KZ hybrid like the first link now for more than 9 years and has really enjoyed it and it has given excellent service. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

A hybrid, such as the first picture, would probably be a reasonable choice for weekend use. You can decide to stay home if the weather isn't likely to be cooperative. Hybrids and pop-ups are not fun to set up or take down in wind, rain, cold, or any combination thereof. Also, the bed is usually exposed to the elements during setup/takedown. My suggestion would be that you consider the trailer potty room as something to be used during the middle of the night or bad weather, when you don't want to trek to the campground shower house.

You might also want to look at a rPod, such as this one: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=173&Image=5054&ShowParent=1&ModelID=971#Main

for another idea. Something to think about: can any of your children, either singly or together, figure out how to escape from the trailer? That's one disadvantage of a hybrid.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

After looking at the pictures in Kirk's links, other things I would be looking at is whether or not the kids can get into and out of bed without assistance and how much of the storage is open-front in the toddlers' reach. :)

I'd also be looking at storing the trailer itself--will it fit in your garage? If not, where will you keep it when not traveling.

And where will you pack it? In our tent trailer we only has access to a narrow aisle through the door opening when the trailer was closed up. But the port-a-pot sat at the back of that aisle, we threw duffle bags of clothes in next, and the cooler sat near the door to be available for lunch stops. Toys traveled in the car with us. My, the memories you have brought back to me from 40 years ago. I hope you have as much fun in your camper as we had in ours.

Linda Sand

12 hours ago, sandsys said:

In our tent trailer we only has access to a narrow aisle through the door opening when the trailer was closed up.

Ours did have access to the refrigerator when closed via the entry door, but very little else. On the other hand, the hybrid trailers have access to all amenities when the beds are folded in and most things can be used quite comfortably. Our son's hybrid has 3 beds but they only deploy 1 if the kids are not with them when out for a weekend in most cases. Where to store the RV is something to be considered.

15 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Hybrids and pop-ups are not fun to set up or take down in wind, rain, cold, or any combination thereof. Also, the bed is usually exposed to the elements during setup/takedown.

With a tent trailer there can be a challenge in high winds, but set up isn't great fun with any RV in nasty weather. The one that we used for 9 years did not expose the beds to rain if set up carefully and closed up for storage properly. With both hybrid trailers that we have stayed in the beds are never exposed to rain while setting up. Making camp in bad weather isn't a fun experience with most RV's and if that is a major issue then a motorhome is really the only good choice. Set up for a hybrid is only slightly more than for any travel trailer as the deployment of the beds is very easy and simple and takes only a couple of minutes per bed. They are a little more difficult to heat and cool than a solid wall trailer and the tent trailers are also but both can be heated and cooled surprisingly well. 

8 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

They are a little more difficult to heat and cool than a solid wall trailer and the tent trailers are also but both can be heated and cooled surprisingly well. 

Our tent trailer had a furnace which kept us warm in Glacier National Park.

Linda Sand

Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. That thing would beat a pickup bad in a drag race. Only pulled our 24 ft. 4000# trailer once. It just didn't feel save and danger is my business. I think your Toyota is comparable. I don't put a lot of faith in a manufactures school boy. To be old and wise had to be young and stupid. I'd stay at 3500# max.

We started out with a Starcraft popup. We had three daughters, one son and the two of us.  We usually carried a screen house for additional space. With the pop-up each child had a chore to do in getting it set up and broken down.  twenty years later the kids are still talking about the good times they had (even tho we squeezed everyone in.

David

What Beemergary mentioned about not feeling safe is very important. You don't want to get pushed around by the rig. I assume the Toyota does not have the trailering options so you need to consider that. I would try to go with the lightest rig that you can live with so you don't overreach. What the car mfgs. say can be towed and what really can be towed are not the same. I would do a lot more research on your towing capacity before buying anything.

It is not just the weight of the trailer that affects towing stability. The frontal and side area and aerodynamics or lack thereof of the trailer is another important factor. The maximum tow rating of some vehicles is based on towing a trailer (such as a utility or horse trailer) with a smaller frontal area than a travel trailer.  As another post mentioned a popup will tow much easier than a full height trailer as will one of the collapsible trailers such as a Trailmanor or HiLo.  The egg shaped trailers will also tow easier than a box shaped trailer of similar size.

As I mentioned in my previous post, trailer length is also a factor. Using the most commonly cited formula, a 109 inch wheel base tow vehicle should not be paired with a travel trailer over 20' in length. 

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

What Beemergary mentioned about not feeling safe is very important. You don't want to get pushed around by the rig. I assume the Toyota does not have the trailering options so you need to consider that. I would try to go with the lightest rig that you can live with so you don't overreach. What the car mfgs. say can be towed and what really can be towed are not the same. I would do a lot more research on your towing capacity before buying anything.

That's one of the reasons I suggested a tent trailer. Ours was smaller than most but I could literally lift it up by the hitch and move it into position in our garage. We pulled it with a Dodge Dart so I never had to worry about overloading either the trailer or the car.

Linda Sand

Our tent trailer had a furnace which kept us warm in Glacier National Park.

In my experience; the outside temperature, insulation factor of the RV structural material, amount of air intrusion/escape, size of the area to be heated and the output of the heater are important factors in maintaining a comfortable temperature inside the RV. Geographic location affects the probability of encountering various environmental conditions. We have encountered high 90's in Montana and below freezing in Florida and Arizona. The location had no perceivable effect on the ability of the heating or air conditioning to  maintain a desirable temperature or not in the RV.

7 hours ago, Dmitche4 said:

We started out with a Starcraft popup. We had three daughters, one son and the two of us.  We usually carried a screen house for additional space. With the pop-up each child had a chore to do in getting it set up and broken down.  twenty years later the kids are still talking about the good times they had (even tho we squeezed everyone in.

David

We started with a crown and ended up with three kids. Pulled it with a 1973 Jeep cj 5 (still have the jeep) Put a zillion miles on it and lots of fond memories. Went camping on my honeymoon in 1972 and still got same wife and indoor plumbing now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, everyone, and sorry for the delayed follow up. I finally had a chance to see a few trailers in person this weekend. I really like the Rockwood Roo 183 Hybrid, which has enough beds for us and our kids, BUT at 3904 pounds and 21'3", I"m not sure that a 4Runner could handle it. The 4Runner can tow 5,000 pounds per specs, BUT I know that just because the manufacturer says it can doesn't mean it's safe. 

I'm wondering if we need to upgrade to an 8 cylinder Toyota Sequoia which is rated for 7,000 pounds.  Hate to spend the extra money, but safety is key for us with 3 small children.  We also saw a Coleman Light Bunkhouse 2405, but at 5,025 pounds and 27 feet, I'm wondering if it's not safe to tow with a Sequoia.  

Thoughts? Sorry for all of the questions!!

2 hours ago, EMHackworth said:

I'm wondering if we need to upgrade to an 8 cylinder Toyota Sequoia which is rated for 7,000 pounds. 

Our son has been towing his hybrid with 3 beds with a V-8 Toyota Sequoia for the past 3 years and likes it. While the 4 Runner would tow a hybrid, the Sequoia would do it better & more safely, and also handle better when doing so. 

• 2 years later...

Ive towed 5000 in a 24 twin bunk with a 94 Explorer 160 hp all over the U.S. with an equalizer hitch and now tow an 18 ft VRV toyhauler at 4500 loaded with a 2018 4Runner, no equalizer.  Both had electric brakes well balanced and do/did great, and you live with lower mph up steep hills and watch trans temp, and thats fine   I have a tongue scale i check every trip and load at 10% for 500 lbs with up to 5000 for trailer, although at times ive been a bit over 500 early in a trip or for a short trip so running heavy forward if needed when the girls bring extra gear.  I put on an18 tacoma trans cooler after first trip towing working with toyota parts guy who tows w tacoma and cooler.   Its a direct boltup since 4Runner absolutely needs that to tow and NOT offered by toyota, goofy. In 90F, heat up hills trans torque converter out temp  got to 220F no cooler and now i stay under 170F, and use scangauge ii since OD can raise temps by 20F in 2 min up hills.i never ever let it get over 220F  I've had gauge since first time towing based on yrs of towing with installed one on my 03 yukon, which was poor mileage daily driver.  4Runner is a perfect tow vehicle to 5000 and just match the trailer weight.  An equalizer hitch can be used, or air bags, but hitch is easier, have both use neither since 500 only squats rear by 1 inch or so and not a problem.  Lastly ive towed all kinds of trailers and hardside with frig and bathroom and shower are best, especially in covid days. Can stop anywhere for meals on the road in 2 min in the boonies plus kids crisis bathroom stops with traffic as well.   Just no substitute for the girls having a real bathroom.

Edited by Pgh18Gen5