Walmart Scanning App

I went into a Walmart today and was greeted by an employee asking if she could download the Walmart app to my phone? 

This was all new since I went into the the same Walmart last weekend.  They had eliminated several check stands on either end and replaced them with an expanded yellow self check out area and grocery carts with a holders for a scanner. Her pitch was very interesting but when it came to installing the program is asked for permission to use Photos/Media/Files such as images, videos or audio.  When I asked about it she said she didn't know, they had just hired a bunch of temps to wander the store and offer the app to customers. 

Does that mean it is going to access my images or just the programs for images, video or audio?  It's been a long day but after the recent Facebook headlines I realized I had become a little lax with my online security and needed to review apps that I use on my phone.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes they will take everything off your phone and ad it to there control database. info they have NO reason to have. and as you add into this they get said info.

and can track your movements so as to adjust a scam/spam ads sent to you via text and or phone... at your expense.

Been using Sams club Scan And Go for a while and do not see anything going on. Saves a lot of time in checking out. No real information on my phone and I don't really care if they see photos of the kids or dogs. I do turn wifi off if not at home or at Sams.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

We have used Sams Scan and Go and love it. A little better wifi at some clubs would be nice but sure speeds things up. I have been using Walmart Pay for a year or so now, along with the self check-outs. Another good idea. Patiently waiting for Scan and Go to be available at my local Walmart.

Here is a link to a story about this new phone app from Forbes magazine.  Pam has been using the Walmart Rewards app for several years and finds that it saves us about 5% on whatever we spend in their stores. I wonder if that is built into the new Scan and Go app? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I use the Sam's Scan and Go app and like it. I did find at one Sam's the wifi would never connect but I was still able use the app with my phones data. 

I really hope more stores start offering apps like this as I like the feature that shows me a total $$ in my basket so I can keep an eye on my spending. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I use the Sam's Scan and Go app and like it. I did find at one Sam's the wifi would never connect but I was still able use the app with my phones data. 

I almost always have my phone on LTE with WiFi set to OFF.  The Sam's Club app works fine using LTE.

If you happen to have the Sam's Club Master Card, you're supposed to get 2% back in on purchases made using Scan and Go. This is supposed to be in addition to the 1% you get back on everything charged to the card. I haven't had the card long enough to see if this rebate is actually being made.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

7 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

I wonder if the "Fight for $15" crowd sees the handwriting on the wall.

Another thing that Australia has and that I have read is starting to happen here is self-service video order screens at McDonald's. I believe that all of all of them had at least one window with people serving but in Sydney, there was 1 person station and 6 self-serve stations in all three that we were inside of. You place your order and pay for it at the station, then go to the counter and pick up your food. The ticket has a number on it that shows on an overhead display as the order comes out. Again, not tips but they do have a minimum wage of $25/hour, Australian or about $22/hour US. Of course that wage is also reflected in the cost of food which is more than double what it is here. 

2 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Another thing that Australia has and that I have read is starting to happen here is self-service video order screens at McDonald's. I believe that all of all of them had at least one window with people serving but in Sydney, there was 1 person station and 6 self-serve stations in all three that we were inside of. You place your order and pay for it at the station, then go to the counter and pick up your food. The ticket has a number on it that shows on an overhead display as the order comes out. Again, not tips but they do have a minimum wage of $25/hour, Australian or about $22/hour US. Of course that wage is also reflected in the cost of food which is more than double what it is here. 

I dislike the McDonald's kiosks.  But I suppose I'll get used to them.  Your comment on Aussie's food costs are something the Fight for 15 crowd either doesn't understand or ignores.  Business costs go up, so do the costs for everything else.  Anyone on a fixed income will pay the highest burden unless they go back to work/find other ways to get money.  .  

4 minutes ago, pjstough said:

The best way to see that no one is working for less that $15.00 per hour is to eliminate those jobs that pay less than $15.00 per hour.

Unless the people with minimal skills/minimal education/minimal experience all of a sudden gain education/experience/skills, there will always be jobs that pay less than $15 an hr. 

But this is now getting off topic of the WM app.

1 minute ago, remoandiris said:

Unless the people with minimal skills/minimal education/minimal experience all of a sudden gain education/experience/skills, there will always be jobs that pay less than $15 an hr. 

But this is now getting off topic of the WM app.

So why are wages going up for these low paying jobs?  Before we left Iowa last fall we saw a McDonalds looking to hire people for up to a starting wage of $13.00?

But I do agree, it wont be long and you will probably have to have the app to shop at Walmart.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

17 minutes ago, pjstough said:

So why are wages going up for these low paying jobs?  Before we left Iowa last fall we saw a McDonalds looking to hire people for up to a starting wage of $13.00?

But I do agree, it wont be long and you will probably have to have the app to shop at Walmart.

That would be cutting a huge part of their customer base out of shopping . You really think Walmart would be so dumb ? 

Goes around , comes around .

I'm old-fashioned enough that I install only those apps that I really want to have, and I keep all privacy stuff locked down pretty tight. Since I don't use FaceBook, Twitter, etc. I deleted those apps from my phone. I have NO intention of installing the Wal-Mart app on my phone, and I deliberately do not use the self-scan checkouts. Wal-Mart won't let me use Apple Pay since they have their own competing version. I don't have it installed.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Wawa convenience stores have been using self-serve screens at their deli counter for over 10 years now.   They work very well and are easy to use.

After you select and customize your order on the screen, it gives you a numbered receipt and you are free to wander through the store selecting chips, a beverage, etc.

When you're ready, you take your purchases to the cashier and pay for them.  The cashier punches in the deli number which validates the receipt, then you take it back to the deli counter.  Usually the sandwich is ready by the time you get there.

11 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Another reason why we don't shop at War-Mart

Walmart doesn't have a problem taking my Visa CC that gives me 2% back on grocery's or my Debit card to give me up to $100 in cash for no charge.

I also go on line and order my prescription refills at Walmart and they are ready when I get there.

I use Walmart once a week for grocery's and if they don't have what I want or like I go across the street to Plubix when done at Walmart.
Then after leaving Plubix on the way home I stop at McDs and pay cash for some french fries to eat on the way home. :)

OH!!! I haven't seen a reason the use Apple Pay on my iPhone yet. Maybe after stores won't take CC or cash I will switch to Apple Pay.
Restaurants I always use cash. And also use cash at all Passport America campgrounds.
Yes all the cash I use come from Walmart stores.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

24 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

Walmart doesn't have a problem taking my Visa CC that gives me 2% back on grocery's or my Debit card to give me up to $100 in cash for no charge.

I also go on line and order my prescription refills at Walmart and they are ready when I get there.

We do that also. Our daughter-in-law who is blind used to shop Walmart because the service desk is always happy to send someone out with her to assist by reading labels and finding things for her.  Now sho just orders all of her groceries from Walmart online and then uses Uber to go by and pick them up where an employee brings them to here after she sends a text. 

I think that this thread gives ample evidence of the average age the majority of us here are by the reluctance of many to move into the electronic world. If this discussion were dominated by X-scapers I suspect that the naysayers would be a minority. I find myself somewhere in the middle as I do use many of the new electronic things like a smartphone and such, but there are also many apps available that I don't use and probably never will. Just as I used to think my parents and grandparents were trying to live in past history, I am sure that our grandchildren think the same of us. Reading this discussion I have realized that the kids are probably right! :P

58 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I think that this thread gives ample evidence of the average age the majority of us here are by the reluctance of many to move into the electronic world. If this discussion were dominated by X-scapers I suspect that the naysayers would be a minority.

Don't assume that all young people are technologically savvy. Recently, I've begun using Android Pay at local stores that accept it.  I continue to be amused by young "checkers" who marvel at how easy it is for me to pay by simply putting the phone on the checkout terminal.  I chuckle and tell them that if an old coot like me can learn to do this, they need to keep up with their generation! B)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We embrace some apps and not others not. Walmart is all over so we use them for basics. We have used their app since it became available and have used their Savings Catcher for several years now. This saves us significant time and dollars. We charge everything to a cc with 3% back.

We like Walmart because  they carry most of what we buy. Not everything. We don't buy everything at Walmart, mostly basics. They are fairly consistent from store to store for basics. Also, I can look up an item on the app and find out what aisle it is in.

Another app we have migrated to is Key Ring. No more needing all those little cards.

The other thing I discovered about Walmart is their ship to store. I had something shipped to the store, checked in online that I was coming to pick it up and the person was there waiting for me at the pick up spot. The app tells her when I am 10 minutes way, 5 minutes away and 1 minute away. Neat and saves a lot of time and frustration.

6 hours ago, remoandiris said:

IDK, but maybe that is why McDs is installing more self-service kiosks.  

Yes, eliminating the low paying jobs is a good thing.  This particular McDonalds was just remodeled, and they were adding service kiosks for taking orders.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Archived