Vegas Teacher

My passenger side sits about 6 to  8 inches taller than my drivers side on my 780. I have been told it is probably a combination of old leaf springs, coils (?) and shocks. I am all up for getting my hands dirty and learning but how much mechanical knowledge does it take to do this and or specialized tools. Now buying new tools is fun so I am completely up for that.

Later,

Cory O

I don’t have front air ride on our truck ( too old) but can the front level valves cause this? Bags leaking? 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Is it just the cab or the whole frame?  Cab shocks and airbags are fairly easy.  Front leaf springs are a suspension shop or a mobile mechanic that has the jack stands to rest the frame on while the front is disassembled.  

The cab hinges at the firewall.  Those hinges are replaceable as well.  Shocks are either super easy or a total PIA.  Before starting shocks, start soaking the bolts and nuts with a GOOD penetrating oil.  Kroil oil is great, PB Blaster will work given enough time, I use a mixture of Acetone and transmission fluid.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Start measuring at suspension components side to side. Take notes. Start at the front working under the hood. See if frame is off or body is off. Do frame first because if it is off, everything will be off. If frame is good, measure from from frame to body. You should be able to identify the problem and then decide if it is within your capability to fix. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Measure all four frame corners, air bags deflated, and again air bags inflated. Six inches at the front frame rails, usually means a broke spring, most are leaf springs front  air bags rear. Measuring  a cab or bumper is not a good indicator of suspension. Post back results and will try to help.

ppbajell.jpg

Volvo VNL / Missouri Titled RV

Ved12 425HP

Super 10 Spd

37ft KOA Fifth Wheel

Jeep Rubicon Toad

On 2018-03-22 at 12:33 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

My passenger side sits about 6 to  8 inches taller than my drivers side on my 780. I have been told it is probably a combination of old leaf springs, coils (?) and shocks. I am all up for getting my hands dirty and learning but how much mechanical knowledge does it take to do this and or specialized tools. Now buying new tools is fun so I am completely up for that.

Later,

Cory O

Cory - springs (air or steel leaf or combination) control the ride height of the frame above the ground. There are no coils and shocks dampen the springs they don’t control height. 

As others have said measurements taken parked on a level place are second step. First is to set tire pressures equal side to side. Tip the hood and measure down from the bottom of the frame rails with aired up suspension all around  and report back.

Post images if possible.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Cory - springs (air or steel leaf or combination) control the ride height of the frame above the ground. There are no coils and shocks dampen the springs they don’t control height. 

As others have said measurements taken parked on a level place are second step. First is to set tire pressures equal side to side. Tip the hood and measure down from the bottom of the frame rails with aired up suspension all around  and report back.

Post images if possible.

Good I am on spring break I will get on that tomorrow. Taking the D.W. shopping today. I have to make her happy.

So, I see in another thread you've priced springs.  Have you determined that's the issue?  And if so, what was the discovery process?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

25 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

What are your ratios for this? I would love to learn. My background is a minor in chemistry.

Hi Cory,

Most of the articles that I have seen when talking about transmission fluid and acetone is 50 / 50. I have always thought about mixing some up myself.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

10 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Cory,

Most of the articles that I have seen when talking about transmission fluid and acetone is 50 / 50. I have always thought about mixing some up myself.

Al

THanks! I am going to mix some up and use it because that P.B. Blaster is not cheap

7 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

What are your ratios for this? I would love to learn. My background is a minor in chemistry.

I mix about a 50/50 ratio.  If it's really rusted, go more acetone and keep soaking it.  Just be aware that the mix is highly flammable.... even later... 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

9 hours ago, Sehc said:

acetone is really bad to have on your skin or to breath the vapors. spray cans may not be any safer, but it is easier to contaminate yourself while mixing solvents.

I worked in the marine industry for 30 years.  Around and using Acetone and much worse chemicals on a daily basis.  As long as you respect the chemicals and handle with care. it's a good agent to help loosen rusted fasteners.

What I have is an oil fashioned oil squirt can.  I mix what I can use in several applications in a day or two.  The acetone will evaporate after several days or hours in hot weather. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Jim,  X2

What I have is an oil fashioned oil squirt can.  I mix what I can use in several applications in a day or two.  The acetone will evaporate after several days or hours in hot weather. 

16 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Kroil.....

But how did this go from leaning tower of Volvo, to, I need to buy some Kroil???

Because to unlean the tower of Volvo, you have to loosen some factory assembled moisture and vibration tightened hardware.  And because Kroil is the really good stuff.... Pricey, even more than PB Blaster, but it's worth every once.  But I have had good results with my acetone and transfluid.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

33 minutes ago, noteven said:

Dang.  I was hoping for some diagnosis of why the lean information.  

He is bring the truck over next weekend and we can get you a definitive answer, though  from what I saw already, I am leaning toward one tweaked leaf spring. Pun intended....lol

And while it is leaning, I don’t think it is 6-8”.  Then again, one mans 3” is another mans 6”

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On 4/6/2018 at 10:00 PM, VegasFlyer said:

He is bring the truck over next weekend and we can get you a definitive answer, though  from what I saw already, I am leaning toward one tweaked leaf spring. Pun intended....lol

And while it is leaning, I don’t think it is 6-8”.  Then again, one mans 3” is another mans 6”

vegas flyer is always a smart @$$

Archived