Subaru Forrester 2016-2018 Manual Toad - Four down?

TheLongWayHome

Anyone use a recent (post 2015) manual Subaru Forester as a four down dinghy toad? Seems to be a lack of clear (explained) guidance from SOA (Subaru of America).

"Moving forward, SOA cannot recommend dinghy towing.  Our cars should be flat-bedded."

No reason given. Nothing stated in their Owners Manual and they have not responded to numerous request for clarify by individual owners or FMCA.

FMCA has removed Subaru Forester (Manual, Automatic was always excluded) from their annual Dinghy Guide. 2016, 2017 and 2018 (just issued but not on the link. Have to be a FMCA member).

Lots of conspiracy theories (lawyers!!, trying to end the manual version due to EPA mileage pressure, ...). Have heard that some customers got a refund on a returned vehicle because of it and others just use it without any issues - but all were third hand.

Anyone actually use a post 2015 Subaru Forester (Manual) as a four-down toad? Any feedback.

Thanks Kirk. Had not looked there. Interesting that the 2016 and 2017 models are there but not on FMCA, but not the 2018 on either!! Maybe timing, as I'm not aware of any changes.

Lots of people seem to have and still do (Subaru's last a long time) dinghy tow the earlier model years. They really seem to love them. I believe you also towed a Subaru at one stage. Still got it?

5 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

I believe you also towed a Subaru at one stage.

I towed two different Honda CR-V's over the years with great service. Sadly, the CR-V has not been towable since 2014 as all models now have a CVT transmission. I have known several Forester owners who towed one for years. I believe that BarbOK is one of them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived