DirecTV 'Service Address' problems

One thing which is pretty apparent in this thread.  Some people like to have locals, some get by just fine without them.  I think it's great that we have options.  The OP raised an issue which appears to be new to DirectTV.  Hope  they work it out so it can be easy again.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, docj said:

No offense intended, but I don't think I've ever watched any programming on a local channel that wasn't a major network outlet.  We watch very little broadcast TV beyond the news and some commentary.  Most of what we watch for entertainment is streamed. The DNS channels serve our needs quite well.  The weather we get from Weather Underground and Accuweather without having to turn on the TV.

If you're happy with only the network programming available on ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC, that's fine for you. On the other hand, we enjoy programs on PBS, CW, myTV, ION, and others that aren't carried by DNS. A wider choice is nice given the dearth of good programming available these days.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

20 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

PBS, CW, myTV, ION, and others that aren't carried by DNS

PBS and  CW are included with DNS (channels 389 and 394) 

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

8 minutes ago, docj said:

PBS and  CW are  carried by DNS (channels 389 and 394) 

From DirecTV's web site, and I don't see anything about PBS or CW.

What is Distant Network Service (DNS)?

EmailPrint

“Distant Network Service (DNS) enables you to receive ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels from New York or Los Angeles. It’s a great solution for travelers who want to enjoy these channels on the road in their mobile vehicle. If your main residence is qualified to receive Los Angeles/New York stations, you can also receive them in your RV, car or boat. If your main residence doesn’t qualify for DNS, you may submit qualifying paperwork to obtain DNS channels.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

From DirecTV's web site, and I don't see anything about PBS or CW.

What is Distant Network Service (DNS)?

EmailPrint

“Distant Network Service (DNS) enables you to receive ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels from New York or Los Angeles. It’s a great solution for travelers who want to enjoy these channels on the road in their mobile vehicle. If your main residence is qualified to receive Los Angeles/New York stations, you can also receive them in your RV, car or boat. If your main residence doesn’t qualify for DNS, you may submit qualifying paperwork to obtain DNS channels.

I took what I wrote directly from the DirecTV Guide on my TV and my Guide is set to only display channels I receive.  You are free to believe what you wish.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

You both are right is a way.  Only the four major Broadcast Channels, (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) are considered Locals.  That is all DNS will supply from the CONUS transponders.

Depending on where you are, PBS and CW may be on your EPG  not because of DNS but because of the spot beam you are under.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

10 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Depending on where you are, PBS and CW may be on your EPG  not because of DNS but because of the spot beam you are under.

Our PBS channel doesn't act as if it is coming off of a spot beam since we never lose it.  Since it's in the same channel ~390 region as our DNS channels I have always assumed that it was coming off of the NYC "local channel beam" which can be viewed nationally for those who live in the NY area.

Regardless of what DTV has in its DNS online explanation at the current time, I distinctly remember reading that our DNS included an SD PBS channel which is why we used to record and watch Downton Abbey on our HD PBS local channel in Corpus Christi when that series was being shown.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

When we had Dish DNS, before this current edition, we carried a CONUS PBS channel.  It was an extra cost channel that we didn't worry about as packages changed over the years.

When we dropped Dish DNS, the CSR also dropped the CONUS PBS because we could only have it with DNS..  Our PBS channel now changes as the Locals change for us.

Perhaps, since you have DirecTV DNS, you also have a CONUS PBS channel

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

several years back when DTV started making you choose between east or west DNS chans, those of us grandfathered in got to choose both east & west, and we also had the option of continuing to get CW via DNS.  So it may not be included in the current DNS but many long term subscribers do get CW via DTV DNS.  As far as PBS I honestly didn't know if I had that one or not, its not a chan I ever watch. I see it is there on 389. My DNS chans are 390 - 399 (including CW east & west on 394-395)

Edited by JRP

Jim

20 hours ago, docj said:

You are free to believe what you wish.

Thank you for giving me your permission. I only posted what DirecTV posted on their own web page. I can believe them...or you. Personally I don't care either way. I rarely watch CW and have way better things to do than watch PBS. As long as you are happy, it's all good. Have a great night with your PBS, doc. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, BulletSaloon said:

In the last year since this thread was started, has DirecTV migration to ATT woes regarding service address changes been smoothed out?

I am confused. I received an email with this addition to this thread:

"

"We have had DirecTV at our home in Idaho for over 20 years. We called DTV in February and asked if we could change our service address while visiting Arizona for a couple months and use one of our home boxes in our RV to get locals while we were there: they said no problem. I could only give an approximate address as we were not staying at an RV Park: they said no problem. Everything was fine, we had Arizona locals and had a great trip.

Problem is our account was migrated to ATT a week before we got back. We called to tell them we were back and to put the service address back to our home and billing address....no go. Not only have we lost locals on our boxes in our home, we cannot add or remove any programming to our account.

This thread is over a year old and 10 months since the last post, yet here I sit today with the same headache as you all went through last year. I've called multiple times and spent countless hours over the last three months with no solution."

I can't find your entry that matches this addition.

Do you have a problem or not????????