Perfect camping coffee

We've been searching high and low for the best method to brew a perfect cup of camping coffee while boondocking, without using any electricity whatsoever, and we've finally found it! No generator, no battery/inverter use, and cleanup is a breeze using little to no water:

Edited by Grand Adventure

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pieere said:

The best part of waking u;p is Folgers in your Cup in the old style stainless steel pot on an open wood fire!

Less convenient and more to clean up, but definitely romantic!

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I use a french press. Pretty much the same process, forcing hot water through the grounds. After breaking 2 glass ones, I opted for a stainless steel version.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

4 minutes ago, Tom_M said:

I use a french press. Pretty much the same process, forcing hot water through the grounds. After breaking 2 glass ones, I opted for a stainless steel version.

I've done that. In my opinion it's more of a mess to clean up, and requires more water to do so. And honestly this makes much better coffee.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

4 minutes ago, Tom_M said:

I use a french press.

....I opted for a stainless steel version.

Exactly! I have my biggin, but also a single insulated mug press/travel mug. A nice pot of cowboy coffee is always a nice change-up, but it's really hard to beat freshly ground beans and a french press. The hand grinder I use does a fantastic job and not a drop of electricity used.

Side note: I didn't watch the video, but I assume it was probably something along those lines.

As a side bar... AGAIN... I, personally, don't appreciate folks using the forum to help drive traffic to their youtube channels or other off-site content. A "for additional information" link is fine, but share the base information you would like to present here, or not at all, IMHO.

A reasonably sized photo in a signature is also fine, but please remember that some folks are on metered or expensive satellite bandwidth.

Rant over. ;)

10 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

Here's what we use when dry camping

Fantastic little units for those that like the convenience of drip... and the no muss no fuss cleanup. I've never heard of anyone that uses those that's been the least bit displeased.

My only issue with them would be.... ya canna put'em over the fire.... but ONCE. :lol:

25 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

Here's what we use when dry camping, it requires NO electricity, NO Generator running, NO Battery and Inverter use, WORKS GREAT 

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffeemaker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=sr_1_1/141-9155492-5732724?ie=UTF8&qid=1521643357&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+camping+coffee+maker

Certainly a viable option.

14 minutes ago, Yarome said:

Exactly! I have my biggin, but also a single insulated mug press/travel mug. A nice pot of cowboy coffee is always a nice change-up, but it's really hard to beat freshly ground beans and a french press. The hand grinder I use does a fantastic job and not a drop of electricity used.

Side note: I didn't watch the video, but I assume it was probably something along those lines.

As a side bar... AGAIN... I, personally, don't appreciate folks using the forum to help drive traffic to their youtube channels or other off-site content. A "for additional information" link is fine, but share the base information you would like to present here, or not at all, IMHO.

A reasonably sized photo in a signature is also fine, but please remember that some folks are on metered or expensive satellite bandwidth.

The thing about this AeroPress is that cleanup is much easier using less water, and honestly it's a better cup than a French press. Over got like three French presses sitting in the cabinet. 😁

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend with the posting. I just wanted to share the solution without spoiling the suspense, but I agree I should've described it better. I was running to work and was therefore pressed for time.

As for the sig file photo, I've resized it down to like 480p but the forum software enlarges it for presentation. If anyone has a solution I'm all ears; otherwise I may just remove it.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

We really like the Aeropress too. It does make really good coffee. And we bought it for the same reason, to use when boondocking as our regular coffeemaker does use quite a bit of electricity. May need to check out that grinder. Thanks for the video.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

It's easy to get a bad cuppa from a french press. If done correctly though it's darn near impossible to beat when you have complete control over the grounds, water temp, steeping time and press pressure.

Poor grounds being probably the biggest "fault" and can lead to "muddy" bitter coffee and the hated "floaties".

IMHO, folks that say they don't like french press or that gassers work just as well as diesels.... they just don't know any better. :lol::D

But once you've had one bad cup it's understandable you really don't want a second.

An old thread, and I don't know which grinder was in the video, but there are some links to the one I use and am quite fond of there.

39 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I never cared much for the French press coffee so I’ll have to check this one out.  

As far as I'm concerned there are several distinct advantages to the AeroPress over a French press:

1. You're truly using pressure to brew, much like an espresso machine - and not just physically squeezing the grounds like you do with a French press. The difference in the taste of the coffee is remarkable.

2. There's no wet sludge to clean up. A quick hit with a paper towel and you're good to go.

3. Brew time is only ~45 seconds.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

8 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

I'm not a coffee drinker, but thought this was interesting, if you want your Espresso in the field. Also support of a veteran company.

Basically just repackaging stuff in an ammo can, but good solid products.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

We got a new Bunn coffee maker with the insulated carafe. Not engery efficient but really great coffee with fresh ground beans

I am in your court! And for a single cup in the evening, we love our Kurig with it’s wide selection of specialty coffees. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We use a basic Mr Coffee $12-$15 drip machine with just an on/off switch, no clock or timer, for our coffee whether we have power or not. With no power, we just heat up a pan of water on the stove and pour it through the coffee basket with the top open. Then the coffee goes in an insulated AirPot carafe for dispensing as needed. Makes our coffee just the way we like it. Hot and tasty...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

CNET had this interesting post about "paper filters vs metal filters".
We've used the Aeropress for boondocking for close to 8 or so years.  Purchased at Amazon.  
But when possible, we prefer our Keurig machine for ease of use.

The french press (no longer used by us) requires too much water to clean - but produces a great cup of coffee.

The Target store in Scottsdale had the Aeropress on the shelf in the coffee machine department.
Keurig and Aeropress - probably the best two in-home coffee machines.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

50 minutes ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

The french press (no longer used by us) requires too much water to clean - but produces a great cup of coffee.

The Target store in Scottsdale had the Aeropress on the shelf in the coffee machine department.
Keurig and Aeropress - probably the best two in-home coffee machines.

Target still sells the AeroPress in store, at least it does here in Utah. It's a few bucks cheaper on Amazon, and Target didn't have the bundle with another 350 filters and a travel bag, which I wanted.

It's sounds like your thoughts on cleaning a French press are in line with mine. However, apparently not everyone agrees. LOL!

Edited by Grand Adventure

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT