Xian

Hi guys, 

I'm looking forward to your great ideas, opinions, etc. 

Can't decide as of the moment which is the better option.

I have had researched about RV's but I find a dealer which I thought has great customer service and delivers good quality products.

Please feel free to reply on my post.

+/- comments are welcome.

Website URL: https://cirrus.nucamprv.com/cirrus-truck-camper-models/

T@B-400-Side-768x512.png

TAB-320-U-Cutout-2-768x512.png

T@G-M@X-XL-Closed-768x512.png

T@G-M@X-Closed-768x512.png

920-Blue-768x569.png

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Happy that you have joined us.

I'm not quite sure what it is that you are asking? Do you wish an opinion of the advantages of the truck camper over the teardrop camper, or different models of the teardrop, or .....................  I  think that a great deal of the answers depends on how you plan to use the camper and what your age is. If I were to buy one it would be the truck camper as I want to be able to stand inside but you may also want to consider the weather where and when you will be using it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi Kirk,

Sorry about the late reply, was out of town recently and got poor connection. Yup, exactly :) I wish to know the advantages and disadvantages of having a truck camper over teardrop camper. I see, I appreciate your response and opinion. Thank you so much :)

I would go for the trailer. Buy a truck cap for additional storage. With a trailer like those a 1/2 ton would be fine. Truck camper would require a heavy duty truck, mostly due to payload. At least your living space doesn't need oil changes or a trip to the shop.

Kinda like the 5'er vs. MH question.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

5 hours ago, Xian said:

I wish to know the advantages and disadvantages of having a truck camper over teardrop camper.

Keep in mind that even though I do have many years of RV experience, my posts are mostly opinion and while as factual as I can make them, there may be others who feel differently. With that caveat, I believe that part of the answer to your question is dependant on you. The first part is your age as there was a time that I considered a teardrop to be practical, but that was also when I was much younger and just moving from a tent. At the age that I am today, the teardrop would be very uncomfortable but that may not be true for you. I have a nephew who owns one and loves it. Another factor is the weather where you will mostly be using it. The teardrop requires the user to spend most of the time outside so good weather is important. If it should be cold and/or rainy for an extended period, the truck camper would be better for living space since you can stand and it has more space. Any trailer has the advantage that you can leave it set up in a campground and use the tow vehicle to do tourist things without breaking camp and while the truck camper can be removed from the truck, that takes a bit of doing and some RV parks do not allow you to do that. 

Another thing to consider is how many people will travel in the chosen RV? If you are a single traveling alone the space needs are much less than for a couple or for a family. I know a family who travels happily in a teardrop in southern CA but they also only go out in good weather and only for short periods. Another factor to consider is your degree of camping skills. If you are one with extensive outdoor experience and good camping skills, there will be less need for the amenities of home than if you are completely new to the camping experience. Are you equipped to spend most of your time outside in all types of weather that you will travel in? If it were me today, I would choose the truck camper from those choices but the person I was before I had a wife and kids would probably have chosen the teardrop. 

The first couple of units pictured appear to be Tear Drop + ( kinda like a B +) they appear to have standing headroom. I believe that’s what I’d go for as a starter unit. Avoid those with fenders outside the body, you loose a couple of feet of width in the living space.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

8 minutes ago, dewilso said:

The first couple of units pictured appear to be Tear Drop + ( kinda like a B +) they appear to have standing headroom.

T@G Model Floor Plan Specifications
  • Exterior Length (Box): 116″
  • Exterior Length (Coupler): 163″
  • Exterior Width: 80″ (Fender to Fender)
  • Exterior Width: 60″ (Sidewall to Sidewall)
  • Exterior Height: 72″
  • Bed Area: 58″ x 78″ (Queen)
  • Interior Height: 47″
  • Interior Width: 58″
  • Fresh Water: 11 gallons

Whatever you decide don't buy it before you spend a couple of hours in it miming your every day activities such as sleeping, cooking, filling tanks, watching TV, sitting in it reading.

We were camped next to a brand new teardrop near Mammoth Caves and nobody came near it all week. As we started packing up a car drew up and started hooking up the teardrop. Puzzled I asked why it had sat all week. They explained with red faces that they had just bought it and when they got to the campground and tried t sleep in it was too small for 2 of them! They said they were hoping the dealer would give them their money back!!

It's a big investment to get wrong so spend a little time making sure it works.

PS in a local RV dealer we listened as a couple told how they'd just bought a brand new 5th wheeler and after 2 nights in it had decided they couldn't live with the layout and wanted to trade it in, so it happens in all size RV''ss.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

x2 above !

Make sure you can stand to put your pants on. If equipped, make sure you can use the pot and MAYBE the shower.

The specs posted by Kirk are obviously not one of the first couple in your photos. The boxes are as wide as the wheels. They do however reflect the problem with the box between the wheels..80” outside fender to fender, inside width 58”. Lost a little important space there. TAB makes a few models with "standing" (69” on some) headroom. Here is the 400 model.

T@B 400 Floor Plan Specifications

Interior Height: 81″

Interior Width: 79″

Floor Length: 171″

Fresh Water” 30 Gallons

Gray Water: 18 Gallons

Black Water: 12 Gallons

Tire Size: 205/75/15

GAWR: 3,500 Lbs

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas