Mobile Suite Delamination

tyates007

I have a 2008 Mobile Suites. I pulled it out of storage today and took the cover off. I noticed that the sidewall on the off door slide looked wavy at the bottom above the fender. The fiberglass appears to be coming loose from the wall. I am not sure what I need to do to stop or fix. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have sealed the roof every year and kept the seams caulked. I guess there could be moisture intrusion but I have no idea where it would be coming from. There are no windows on this slide. This is the 36sb3 model if that helps. Thank you. 

It all depends on your definition of laminated.  The sidewall fiberglass is glued to the studs.  The inside paneling is glued to the studs.  The wall paper and/or vinyl interior finish is glued to the wallboard paneling.  They may not be pressurized or heated, but they definitely are "laminated" together as a unit.

When the exterior sheeting breaks loose from the structural components, I call that de-lamination.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Ask DRV. They may have insight on repair. Or call Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate RV repair. He will know for sure  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped the coach off at the shop this week. Received a call that wall is definitely separated and will require complete removal to properly repair. Estimate of a whole lot of thousands to fix. Waiting to hear from insurance. First time in our lives we have ever filed a claim. Guess we will see what happens. Wife and I pretty sad as this has been a very good coach for us the past 5 years. Hoping for the best. 

That’s no good.  I hope you guys get things worked out to your satisfaction.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

i had them on my short list,

there ad's say this is not possable.

may rethink buying from them,

so i will be keeping a eye on this thread.

There is no such thing in the RV industry as not possible. I will tell you it is pretty rare with DRV. Just do a search on the internet and you will find next to none. With that said you are still dealing with a production product and things can and will go wrong. I would not hesitate to buy another DRV product in the future. We have pulled this coach a lot of miles and had a lot of enjoyment with it and there have been 0 issues other than normal wear and tear to this point. 

Would it be a possibility to take it back to the factory for this repair? I know they have that new repair center they built in Howe, I don't know if they do repairs like that there or it is just a warranty facility. Just thinking out loud.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 3/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, tyates007 said:

Sent an email to DRV this weekend. Got a response and a number to call. They referred me to a dealer with a full frame and body shop in Tri Cities area about 4 hours from me. Sent them some pictures today and will see what they have to say. 

Hi tyates007,

Could you tell me the name of the shop and what state it is located in. My trailer needs to have some work done on it. I also have some delamination going with my trailer. It is small little circles about 1/4" dia. popping the gel coat off. Trying to find a shop to do the work.

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 4/9/2018 at 10:41 AM, tyates007 said:

Russ Dean RV in Pasco, WA. They have a full body and frame shop. DRV recomended them as they are both a dealer and repair facility. I have been impressed with their communication and involvement to this point. 

Hello tyates007,

Thank you for the info. I am on the wrong side of the Mississippi River to take advantage of the repair shop.

Thank you again for the info,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Unfortunately my claim was denied. Even though I specifically made sure to have water damage on the policy there was an exclusion about seepage or leakage. So basically anything other than a tsunami taking it out. Living in Seattle I knew there was the potential for water issues. Long story short seems the previous owner, I have had the coach for 5 years, must have had a leak with the ice maker line going into the fridge. We have had this line shutoff at the manifold since we have owned it as we had no desire to have water going to the fridge. I will fix the slide as the coach is worth it. Pretty disappointed. The shop I am working with has never had one denied as they claim there would have been no way for me to see the damage until it manifested itself on the sidewall. Oh well. I have never filed a claim in my life but sure spent a lot of money for the time I would need it. Turned out to be a bad investment this time. Check your policies. There is a reason that the insurance industry is as wealthy as it is and it is not because they say yes. 

Archived